Spyder Garage

Default Lost a panel during a ryde.

Hi Ryders,

After a short ride this weekend on my RT I found out that I lost my LH LATERAL SIDE PANEL, the ride was very slow and easy on a well paved road.

I am not sure what caused it the only thing I can think is the weather was colder than normal for us here in N. California, about 56F.

Any ryder out there had this experience?

Is it cover by the BRP warranty, after all I will expect to ride the Spyder without loosing parts

Thanks
    Sharon
    This message was sent between rides

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I'm sorry to hear that you lost a panel...
    We need a little bit more information:
    These panels don't just fall off of the bike...
    Has the bike been serviced recently, or has anybody pulled and replaced that panel?
    Most often: they fall off due to improper installation

Did you see the panel fall off, or did you notice this upon your return home?
    Did you stop anyplace during your ride, and have the bike out of your sight?
    (Could some nit-wit have stolen it?)
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default LOST PANEL

They do fall off if not properly attached, and this not uncommon... Was it in for service recently where that Panel had to come off..... Have you taken that panel off ...... As far as warranty goes - probably not - what year is your RT ...... check here for a re-placement ..... PROCALIBER.COM -- if you register ( for free ) you will get discounted prices & if you buy enough they ship to you for free ................... Mike

Spyder Garage

Default Happened to me

The first time I removed the lower left panel on my GS to check the oil and replaced it I obviously didn't have the pins hooked back in all the way . I had a gentleman in a car tell me at a stoplight " something fell off your bike back there a bit" luckily no one ran it over but it was scraped up a little .

Spyder Garage

I notice you are from San Jose. Did you do your service in San Jose, CA or did you do your service on your own?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by szohar View Post
    Hi Ryders,

After a short ride this weekend on my RT I found out that I lost my LH LATERAL SIDE PANEL, the ride was very slow and easy on a well paved road.

I am not sure what caused it the only thing I can think is the weather was colder than normal for us here in N. California, about 56F.

Any ryder out there had this experience?

Is it cover by the BRP warranty, after all I will expect to ride the Spyder without loosing parts

Thanks
    Sharon
    My 2016 RTS just had that LH lower panel replaced under warranty. It was loose, when they looked a clip was missing. The new one is still loose not as tight as one on RH side. Also the rear trunk lid at top crease where it's by back seat had a paint defect down to primer.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Spyder Garage

My dealer consistently fails to install the panels properly after any servicing. That is the first thing I do when I get ready to drive off. Panel inspection is also a part of my daily drive routine.

Warranty fixes seem to depend on the dealer.
    Last edited by ARtraveler; 01-16-2017 at 02:43 PM.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

That's a smart idea: it never hurts to take a walk around the bike, and check these things over.

Spyder Garage

Default Really. ...😲

Sharon, They have been known to fall off quite a bit if not installed and checked often. Most common is the rubber gromets push through and no longer hold the panel on. Some even glue them in place to keep this from happening. Dealers have been known to send them out after service loose. check and see if all the gromets are still in place. some have put a lanyard or cable to keep the panel from flying off in case this happens. Also wetting the tips before installation helps it go on easier and does not remain oily. Do not recommend lubing the tips...Not covered by warranty though some dealers have helped when it was on the way home from the shop.....bummer...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

SpyderLovers Sponsor
    Spyder Garage

Gene is absolutely correct the likeliest scenario would be that the grommet was pushed through when the panel was reinstalled. I always suggest that after having your Spyder serviced you should do a walk around and check to be sure that all the panels are secure.

2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

SpyderLovers Sponsor Motorcycledave's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default What city are you in

I am in the Central Valley too Linden
    where are you ? give me a call some time
    lets ride
    Dave

Quote Originally Posted by ussoldier View Post
    I notice you are from San Jose. Did you do your service in San Jose, CA or did you do your service on your own?

Very Active Member eddieshep999's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

This was a mod I did to both my 2010 & 2015 Spyder RT's

I know several have had a panel come off
    This is what I did to both sides
    Remove the panel You will see where it sits on the side bottom black spoiler This spoiler is secured by a push pin at the front and a 6mm bolt at the back (the bolt is covered by the panel when it's refitted)
    Remove the 6mm bolt and put in a stud or a 6mm bit with the head cut off
    Now mark the end of the bolt with some paint refit the panel and the paint will mark on the inside where you need to drill a hole
    Remove the Stud/bolt
    Now when you refit the panel you can use a 6mm bolt and washer through the panel. & the bottom spoiler from the outside to secure it
    I used s washer and a nut on the inside to act as a spacer to ensure the panel lines up with the rest of the panels

Photo taken from a fellow Spyder rider that followed my mod
    Thanks Tony Sladdin
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Eddie Sheppard
    Poole Dorset UK

Get a Spyder - See the World

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I just put the smallest zip-ties that I could find, around each grommet. They don't move!

Spyder Garage

Due to some ham-fisted help from our 'no longer existing' dud Dealer, the little placcy clip on the top of each of the readily removable side panels on my 2013 RT Ltd broke off, leaving both side panels free to flap in the breeze as I rode along & it didn't take long after picking up the Spyder before one fell off. Luckily, my reflexes are still pretty quick & I managed to catch it as it headed for the roadway, so I didn't lose it!! It was fairly obvious what they'd done - instead of hooking the placcy clip bit over the fixed panel below before pushing the removable on, they'd just forced it on & broke the clip bit. I guess I coulda chased them for replacements/recompense, it was pretty obvious that it was them - I didn't even get home from that service before parts started falling off; buuut, I'd seen a few comments here about those panels coming off, so I looked for a better solution. Check the results out below - those panels ONLY come off when I want them to now!

image.jpg

Fairly cheap & easy fix - I just removed the stubby remnants of the placcy clip with a sharp knife, fitted the panel & aligned everything to mark where to drill & fit a Chrome DZus Fastener. Looks like it was meant to be there, easily comes off for checking oil etc, but firmly holds the panel once the DZus is locked down - no chance of a panel 'accidentally' falling off now!! And the new Dealer loves the idea!

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default DZUS

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Aawen View Post
    Due to some ham-fisted help from our 'no longer existing' dud Dealer, the little placcy clip on the top of each of the readily removable side panels on my 2013 RT Ltd broke off, leaving both side panels free to flap in the breeze as I rode along & it didn't take long after picking up the Spyder before one fell off. Luckily, my reflexes are still pretty quick & I managed to catch it as it headed for the roadway, so I didn't lose it!! It was fairly obvious what they'd done - instead of hooking the placcy clip bit over the fixed panel below before pushing the removable on, they'd just forced it on & broke the clip bit. I guess I coulda chased them for replacements/recompense, it was pretty obvious that it was them - I didn't even get home from that service before parts started falling off; buuut, I'd seen a few comments here about those panels coming off, so I looked for a better solution. Check the results out below - those panels ONLY come off when I want them to now!

image.jpg

Fairly cheap & easy fix - I just removed the stubby remnants of the placcy clip with a sharp knife, fitted the panel & aligned everything to mark where to drill & fit a Chrome DZus Fastener. Looks like it was meant to be there, easily comes off for checking oil etc, but firmly holds the panel once the DZus is locked down - no chance of a panel 'accidentally' falling off now!! And the new Dealer loves the idea!
    THAT'S REALLY NEAT-O, could you do some more pics of the inside .....Thanks ..Mike

Spyder Garage

Default Service

Quote Originally Posted by ussoldier View Post
    I

I had my service done at Spirit in San Jose, I really like their service and knowledge of the BRP mechanic.
    This message was sent between rides

Spyder Garage

This was my solution. I have since changed to a braided wire that is much stronger, and secured it under the screw that holds the "Can AM" emblem on the panel. And yus, zip tie the grommets.

20160224_102559.jpg
    "A Wise Man Once Said, I Should Ask My Wife."
    2017 Champagne Metallic RT-S SE-6 Rivco Dual Flag Holders; Slingmods Highway Pegs; (Hate Them) Airhawk Seat Cushion; Show Chrome Black Touring Rack w/ Risers & Touring Windshield; RAM X Mount For TXTAG; TackForm Phone Mount; Lidlox; Magic Mirror Mounts; Guardian Bells; WOLO "Bad Boy" Air Horn; Dual USB Power Outlet With Voltmeter; Spyderpops Full View Mirror Turn Signals; Large Brake Pedal; Kott Grilles; Large Mud Flap; BajaRon 3 Piece Sway Bar, Last But Not Least, Kuhmo Rear Rire, Vedrestien Fronts.
    2017 RT-S , Brake pedal extender is twice the size of the stock pedal. Champagne Metallic

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default Side Panel grommet Fix

Echo post #13. Have zip tied grommets on Goldwing GL1800's since 2001, Spyder '09 GS, '12 RT-S, '15 RT-L, & Yamaha WR-250R with coating of Di-Electric grease and have never lost a side panel. As Bob said, proper installation is the key. No modifications necessary.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default Another 'beware'

I removed the side panel on my, new to me, RS2010. Tootled into town to get some oil to top up leaving the panel in my driveway. Get home to find the wind had blown the panel down the drive into the garden and scratched it, $150 to get repainted. Won't do that again.

Spyder Garage

Default lower Left panel

The lower left panel on my RT is loose; asked the dealer he said, "it was normal" - the right panel has always been tight....... Better do some homemade securing - thanks for the posted ideas!