Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Buying a demo

Spyder Garage

Default Buying a demo

I have been shopping around to upgrade to a 2016 RT special series and the dealer has a demo model he is offering for about $3000 less than a new model. I know the warranty changes to the date it hit the road but is there anything else I should look for? Does anyone have experience buying a demo and have some feedback or any opinions from anyone who may some info? I did read somewhere on the board that you may not be able to buy an extended warranty on a demo, is that true? I appreciate the help and advise.
    NEW 2016 RT-S Special Series Triple Black - ready for new toys to add
    OLD 2012 RT-S Pure Magnesium Metalic CB-Navigation-XM, Sway bar, Ultimate Tallboy

Spyder Garage

I got 2500 off my 2016 right from the factory. He is only offering you an additional 500 off for a demo.
    Not a good deal to me. But that's just my thoughts.
    2022 F3 Limited , Monolith Black / Dark

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by DriftersWay View Post
    I got 2500 off my 2016 right from the factory. He is only offering you an additional 500 off for a demo.
    Not a good deal to me. But that's just my thoughts.

Sorry I might not have been clear, the $3000 was a drop from a the deal I got on the new model which already had the $3000 rebate from Can Am. The new model is $24,999 and the demo is $21,999 with a little over 5000 miles on it.
    NEW 2016 RT-S Special Series Triple Black - ready for new toys to add
    OLD 2012 RT-S Pure Magnesium Metalic CB-Navigation-XM, Sway bar, Ultimate Tallboy

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

This all depends upon what value you place upon your Peace of Mind...
    His offer could certainly be made sweeter: throw a low-ball number out there, and see what happens!
    Good Luck!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Ask if he would throw in a free 1st time service. ( oil and filters included)
    Then I'd say good deal
    2022 F3 Limited , Monolith Black / Dark

Spyder Garage

6K off list pretty good deal. It should come with a 2 year warranty from the first day it was licensed. If you can get the next service to boot would be an awesome deal .
    Happy Owner

Spyder Garage

Wouldn't bother me, I've never bought a new vehicle in my life. I prefer to let other people experience the 20% drop in value the moment you sign the paperwork. When you look at the depreciation curve the first 6 months are by far the biggest drop.

And why should it be any less reliable because it was a demo? What can you actually do to damage one? You can't really over rev it, you can't miss a gear and buzz the engine.

If you are that bothered do as others have advised and ask for an oil service to be done as part of the deal. Then you know it's all fresh.
    | 2015 F3-S | Heated Grips | USB Ports | RAM X-Grip | RT Sway Bar | '2 Up' Rear Shock | SHAD Bag Kit | Oxford Aqua 50 Dry Bag | BRP Rider Backrest |

Spyder Garage

Default Not a problem....

I wouldn't buy a rental but a demo is a good deal if the price is right for you. You can still get the extended warranty if it makes you feel better so you are covered there. Your choice...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

i always thought demos were sold with a new bike coverage
    NO BIKE AT THIS TIME

Spyder Garage

I don't see why there would be a problem with it, but I would ask them to include in the price the extra 3 year Best extended warranty.
    2021 Sea To Sky, 2020 RTL

Isn't it weird that in AMERICA our flag and our culture offend so many people......
    but our benefits don't?
    2015 F3S , White & Blue

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by PW2013STL View Post
    I don't see why there would be a problem with it, but I would ask them to include in the price the extra 3 year Best extended warranty.
    I'd feel better with more warranty than one oil service.
    PrairieSpyder (Patti)

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default Demos

Demo bikes are good bikes. Most are used for buyers to test ride or for the sales staff to ride around and show off. So they aren't hurt in any way other than having miles on them. Just make the best deal you can and ask for the extended and get them to service It and check the computers for any faults. If you are going to ride a lot get the 3 year warranty at least. Just don't jump at the first deal they offer.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by cuznjohn View Post
    i always thought demos were sold with a new bike coverage
    The warranty starts the day the bike was put in service. This spring, I bought my dealers 2014 RT-S. It had 2000 miles on it and about 3 months of warranty left. When I asked about an extended warranty both the service and sales departments said not to bother. The 1330 machines just don't seem to have the problems like the 998 did. They said that most issues that might come up would probably be emissions related and they are would be covered by other parts of the warranty. The only thing I would suggest in addition to normal stuff would be to check for cosmetic issues, check tires for signs of wear caused by a lack of pre-ride maintenance and make sure the 3000 mile service was done.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by PrairieSpyder View Post
    I'd feel better with more warranty than one oil service.

I AGREEE!!!!!!!

Spyder Garage

I think that's a little to high priced for a demo with that many miles on it. 5000 miles is a lot for a demo. I haven't checked prices lately, but last fall in October and November dealers around here were selling brand new RTS-SE5's for just a little more than that. If it doesn't come serviced and with the full factory warranty I'd keep shopping.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by cmar157 View Post
    Sorry I might not have been clear, the $3000 was a drop from a the deal I got on the new model which already had the $3000 rebate from Can Am. The new model is $24,999 and the demo is $21,999 with a little over 5000 miles on it.
    I
    think you can do better than $22k for a used 2016 with 5000 miles on it. MUCH better.

Yes you can still add the BRP BEST coverage to it up until the factory warranty expires. (2 yrs from in service date).

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jcthorne View Post
    I
    think you can do better than $22k for a used 2016 with 5000 miles on it. MUCH better.

Yes you can still add the BRP BEST coverage to it up until the factory warranty expires. (2 yrs from in service date).
    And if the seller already bought to extended warranty, it's transferable to you!
    PrairieSpyder (Patti)

Spyder Garage

With the number of posts that I see here about little scratches on panels that real bother an owner, and it being a demo model where someone using/testing it may not be too careful, if that's a factor for you, then look at that closely. The mechanical aspect has been covered by others.

Spyder Garage

From the warranty in my owner's manual:

"4. WARRANTYCOVERAGE PERIOD
    This warrantywill be in effect from the date of delivery to the first retail consumer (my emphasis) or the date the Roadster is first put into use, whichever occurs first and for the following periods:
    1. For private, recreational use, TWENTY FOUR (24) CONSECUTIVE MONTHS,
    except for the items covered in points (2) to (5) below; and for commercial
    use TWELVE (12) CONSECUTIVE MONTHS, except for the items covered in
    points (2) to (5) below."

I would insist as part of the sale the dealer get in writing that the two year warranty begins with me, the first retail consumer. If the dealer won't do that, pass on it. If the dealer agrees, then shop for for the B.E.S.T. extended warranty and get the most attractive price.
    Last edited by JayBros; 01-16-2017 at 12:57 PM.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JayBros View Post
    From the warranty in my owner's manual:

"4. WARRANTYCOVERAGE PERIOD
    This warrantywill be in effect from the date of delivery to the first retail consumer (my emphasis) or the date the Roadster is first put into use, whichever occurs first and for the following periods:
    1. For private, recreational use, TWENTY FOUR (24) CONSECUTIVE MONTHS,
    except for the items covered in points (2) to (5) below; and for commercial
    use TWELVE (12) CONSECUTIVE MONTHS, except for the items covered in
    points (2) to (5) below."

I would insist as part of the sale the dealer get in writing that the two year warranty begins with me, the first retail consumer. If the dealer won't do that, pass on it. If the dealer agrees, then shop for for the B.E.S.T. extended warranty and get the ost attractive price.
    This is the part, that concerns me...

Very Active Member Don in E Texas's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Demo bike

My first Spyder (08) was a demo. Two year new vehicle warranty started when I purchased it - bike just had the 3K mile checkup. No issues with the bike outside issues all of us were having at the time.

don
    Did own: 2008, Red, SE5 - and 2010, Black, RT-S Premiere Edition Number 670
    Now Own: 2014 Black RT-S SE6

Spyder Garage

To my way of thinking a "demo" has maybe 500 miles on it. 5,000 miles is a USED bike that has had a bunch of "owners". That's a lot of miles with people winding the piss out of it.

What would you pay for a used bike with 5,000 miles by one owner? I would think that would be a much better treated machine.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    This is the part, that concerns me...
    That's why I said I'd put it in the dealer's lap. If the dealer really wants to make the sale he'll work it out. Otherwise...
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Don't leave the lot, without having this sorted-out!

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

I bought my bike from Pro Caliber in Vancouver WA. I got it in Nov 14 and my warranty lasts until 4-29-18. I didn't buy the extended warranty. I got a heck of a deal, but because I was an extreme newbie, I am not sure how much. The only problem that I have had so far (knock on wood) was self inflicted. Because it was a demo, they made sure everything was running great because they were trying to sell Spyders. They figured if it wasn't tip-top shape, people would be hesitant to buy. Before they turned it over to me, they went though the service schedule and I got the 12000 mile service thrown in. I bought it with 7000 miles. If your dealer is interested in selling the Spyders, they probably kept yours up in great shape as well. Good luck. I wouldn't hesitate to buy another demo again.