Spyder Garage

Default Additional power/usb port on spyder rt-s

Looking for ideas or if anyone has installed usb/ power port in the mini glovebox ? My thought is to keep that power outlet under the cover, I could charge my cell phone in the glovebox and the gps could be powered from just run the cord out the lid. Any thoughts or has anyone done this ? Just a little protection from the weather on outlet......looking for all ideas?
    2016 RT-S , white

Spyder Garage

I would not recommend that. I rode with my cell phone in the glove box and it gets pretty hot in there. I believe it was the cause of my phones early demise. You could always use the cigarette lighter in the rear box to charge your phone. Still looking at various charging options for the GPS.

Quote Originally Posted by Kredab View Post

Looking for ideas or if anyone has installed usb/ power port in the mini glovebox ? My thought is to keep that power outlet under the cover, I could charge my cell phone in the glovebox and the gps could be powered from just run the cord out the lid. Any thoughts or has anyone done this ? Just a little protection from the weather on outlet......looking for all ideas?
    2019 F3T , Blue

Spyder Garage

Default I did

I had dealer install the dual usb port in the front wall between the hinges. I charge our senas or phones there. I use the nav app "google maps" on my phone and if it is raining I leave the phone in there and listen to turn - by - turn by blue tooth with our Senas. Works great

Spyder Garage

A lot of folks, myself included, have placed dual usb plugs in the speaker grill(s). Very easy. Pop out the grill and drill the hole in it. Install the usb plug, run wires down to the frunk for power from the fuse box in there. The speaker grills just pop out leaving plenty of work room. I power my GPS there and charge my phone there as well. Avoid the glove box, it gets mighty toasty in there, plus, I'm not sure it would open/close like it should with an extra cable pinched under the lid. Good luck
    2021 RT Limited

2016 RTS , Pearl White

Spyder Garage

Did you run the wire(as you sit on it) left or right side ? Where did you hook the wire to in the fuse block? Did you use inline fuse ? Size of fuse if yes . Sorry I want to make sure I know all there is to know......thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Mazo EMS2 View Post
    A lot of folks, myself included, have placed dual usb plugs in the speaker grill(s). Very easy. Pop out the grill and drill the hole in it. Install the usb plug, run wires down to the frunk for power from the fuse box in there. The speaker grills just pop out leaving plenty of work room. I power my GPS there and charge my phone there as well. Avoid the glove box, it gets mighty toasty in there, plus, I'm not sure it would open/close like it should with an extra cable pinched under the lid. Good luck
    2016 RT-S , white

Spyder Garage

Default Aadditional power/usb port on spyder rt-s

There is a vacant spot designed for this outlet. It is located next to your handgrip warmer control switch. installed one recently for a riding partner. SHE PLUGS HER CELLPHONE IN IT TO KEEP IT CHARGED. It has a cap on outlet to keep out moisture when not in use a light to show its working. As mentioned glove box gets way too hot for cellphone.