Thread: Dead battery

Spyder Garage

Default Dead battery

So my battery finally died. Lasted about 4 years...not sure if that is typical. Question is...do I go ahead and buy a new one or just wait until the end of winter? Does it hurt anything sitting there with a dead battery? Thx
    2013 ST-S Circuit Yellow Metallic

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default DEAD ?????

...I'm guessing you are done riding for a certain period of time .... If it were me, I would re-move it - put it on a charger that will charge at a CONTROLLED RATE according to the needs of the battery and then shut off .... see if this charges the battery .... if it does put it on a " Battery Maintainer " .... for the rest of the off season.... But 4 years and it could be dead if it hadn't been properly maintained for it's entire use. I have a 2011 with the orig. batt. and it's fine ....... good luck...... Mike

Spyder Garage

Default Dead Battery

After four years, give it up. You might get some more rides out of it, but if your luck runs like mine, it will leave you in the worst posible position. New battery, cheap insurance against be lost in the wilds.

Good Luck

Spyder Garage

you need to take the battery out of the spyder a dead battery will freeze and bust open spilling the old acid in the bike..one that is charged will not freeze.

Spyder Garage

I am with Mike on this one. Take it out and charge it. Leave it out. If it does not take a charge. Get a new battery in the spring. If it takes a charge. In the spring charge it again and take it to the battery store. They should load test it for free. If it passes. Should be good for another year. If it fails get a new one.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

Default Let's see....

According to the stats here.... best just go with a new one. In the mean time pull it out. I do try to charge them and use them to test other 12 volt things power radios etc. They work for low loads very well long after....
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by billybovine View Post
    I am with Mike on this one. Take it out and charge it. Leave it out. If it does not take a charge. Get a new battery in the spring. If it takes a charge. In the spring charge it again and take it to the battery store. They should load test it for free. If it passes. Should be good for another year. If it fails get a new one.
    Me too! It doesn't hurt to give it a try...
    (But plan on getting a new battery anyway: just in case!)
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

If and when you buy a new battery go ahead and buy a Yuasa, the same as the OEM. That is the one item from the factory that is hard to replace with a better one without spending a lot more money.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

Good grief --- get a battery. I can tell you from experience you don't want to mess around with such a meticulous machine & crapp battery.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-T337A using Tapatalk

Spyder Garage

I would buy a new battery now, put it on a slow charger and get it up to peak, install it on the Spyder, then put a maintainer on it and you should be ready to go come riding time.

Cruzr Joe
    2018 F3 Limited, BRP Driver Backrest, Spyderpops Lighted Bump Skid, Dual Spyclops Light, Mirror Turn Signals, Laser Alignment, Engine LEDs, Fog Lights With Halo's, Cushion Handgrips, BRT LEDs, and Under Lighting, Lamonster IPS, (with Clock), F4 25" Vented Windshield with Wings, Airhawk "R" Cushions. Position 4 Brake setting, Short reach Handlebars, Dash Mounted Voltmeter and 12 Volt Plug. Set of 3rd pegs. Extended Passenger Seat. Exterior BRP Connect setup, Ultimate Trailer

Spyder Garage

Buy the new battery and get it in the 'chine. There will be riding days before spring, don't miss 'em!
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

Default Thanks Guys

Always a great source of opinions. I do keep it on a maintainer...not sure if the cold snap we had a week ago had anything to do with it. Guess I will just go ahead and get a new battery...better safe than sorry. Thanks again. This place rocks!
    2013 ST-S Circuit Yellow Metallic

Spyder Garage

Default NEW INFO

Quote Originally Posted by GMAN9 View Post
    Always a great source of opinions. I do keep it on a maintainer...not sure if the cold snap we had a week ago had anything to do with it. Guess I will just go ahead and get a new battery...better safe than sorry. Thanks again. This place rocks!
    If I had known this in the beginning, my guess would have been ....... the Battery was not PROPERLY set - up ( ie correctly charged ) before you got the Spyder....... When this happens, it permanently effects the life of the Battery.......... I have a 2014 RT and have had Battery issues since I bought it..... I have a 2011 RSS and the Battery is fine....... Make sure you follow the INITIAL CHARGING directions, it makes a big difference..... AND DON'T BUY A .....PRE-CHARGED BATTERY ...... DO IT YOURSELF ........jmho...... Mike

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    If I had known this in the beginning, my guess would have been ....... the Battery was not PROPERLY set - up ( ie correctly charged ) before you got the Spyder....... When this happens, it permanently effects the life of the Battery.......... I have a 2014 RT and have had Battery issues since I bought it..... I have a 2011 RSS and the Battery is fine....... Make sure you follow the INITIAL CHARGING directions, it makes a big difference..... AND DON'T BUY A .....PRE-CHARGED BATTERY ...... DO IT YOURSELF ........jmho...... Mike
    I agree with Mike as I had to replace mine last fall on my 2014. I charged the new battery myself the correct way! When dealers are trying to get new bikes out the door I don't think they spend the time required to charge the battery correctly. How many of us go to get a new battery and are willing to wait 24 hours to pick it up if asking the dealer to provide a fully charged battery?.
    By activating it myself I know it was done the correct way.
    2021 Sea To Sky, 2020 RTL

Isn't it weird that in AMERICA our flag and our culture offend so many people......
    but our benefits don't?
    2015 F3S , White & Blue

Spyder Garage

A new battery is approximately 30% of the cost of a new alternator, and 10% the cost of a new alternator on the road in the middle of nowhere.

Spyder Garage

Default GREAT INFO - BUT

Quote Originally Posted by PapaHotel View Post
    A new battery is approximately 30% of the cost of a new alternator, and 10% the cost of a new alternator on the road in the middle of nowhere.
    ? ? ? ...... Mike

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    ? ? ? ...... Mike
    In another thread PapaHotel piped in to say a sick battery can cause an alternator to crap out. We could start a thread about that here that would rival any tire or oil thread we've had. There are several looooooooonnnnnggggg such threads over on the CarTalk.com forum. The consensus is that charging a dead battery with the vehicle system will not cause any alternator problems, but a defective one may, especially if the defect is such that it causes continued high load on the alternator. In the spirit of preventing a possible problem that is more costly, it is prudent to replace a battery that is starting to exhibit problems. Another recommendation that makes sense, is if you start a vehicle with a totally dead battery by jumping, it is best to not run the engine at high speed and to shut off all extra loads. Doing this for 15 to 30 minutes gives the alternator a chance to bring the battery up to a charge level that avoids putting a really heavy load on it.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)