Thread: limp mode

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default limp mode

Hi I have a 2010 spyder rss, unfortunately I let the battery run down a bit ,charged it up but seems the spyder has gone into limp mode, it revs fine when in neutral but as soon as you put in gear and ride away speed is decreased, does anyone know how to get it out of limp mode or will I have to take it to dealer .thanks eric

Spyder Garage

Default oil ?

being a 2010 , is the oil o.k. ? I think one model is oil too the engine and clutch , { s.m.5 } I think might be wrong , check the oil level , would not think the battery would cause this problem ... give us a reply hope she kicks up her heels and works fine for ya

Spyder Garage

Default limp mode

If this is the original battery, good for you. Most batteries are replaced within 3 to 4 years. Yes a weak battery can cause the nanny going into limp mode. Yes low oil can cause the same thing. Check the oil level and if this battery is 6 years old, replace it.
    file:///Users/thomasholberton/Desktop/VisitedStatesMap.jpg

Spyder Garage

Not long after I took delivery of my 2011 RT I was out riding in the company of a few bikes when I had the Limp Mode happen. (I found out later that I had been riding the brake pedal slightly in anticipation of the many sharp bends in the road). No way would that limp mode reset itself. One of the riders suggested I take the Spyder's transponder ignition key a distance away, he suggested 50 yards. I was VERY sceptical but also quite embarrassed that my trike had let me down, so I did what he had suggested. When I returned the Spyder started up without being in the limp mode, which was quite a relief! Turns out the the guy who had suggested the distant removal of the key drives modern trucks for a living and he had seen the equivalent of my 'limp mode' happen before.

2011 RT-S SE5, Acumen Tempest Cat-1 Alarm, SmoothSpyder Belt Tensioner,
    Autocom Super Pro Auto, Garmin Zumo 550 BT, 10amp Socket, Front Fender LED's,
    Grip Puppies, Spyderpop Belt Guard, Nautilus Horn, Shortee Antenna, BajaRon's Swaybar,
    Cree LED Day Running Lights.

Spyder Garage

Default Codes ?

Are there any warning lights on ( oil etc) ? Have you read your manual to know how to pull any codes off the computer ? I would start there and do a battery test as well

Spyder Garage

Default Little checking..

Knowing the codes is the best for us to help. Codes will only appear before you turn the spyder off after which they are stored and can only be seen with the buds system at the dealer....the "key walk" though said to be nonsense, does in fact work for many of these issues. You can also disconnect the battery so that the computers are forced to re set. Low battery once recharged will not cause this so there is some other reason. I have drained my battery, little nephews like to play on it, several time and recharged it and it is fine and over 4 years old...if you don't have the "spydercodes" app download free and it will show you how to get the codes and what they mean and in many cases how you can fix them....
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default erggggg

Quote Originally Posted by youngers View Post
    beinrgtrgggtrgrg a 2010 , is the oil o.k. ? I think one model is oil too the engine and clutch , { s.m.5 } I think might be wrong , check the oil level , would not think the battery would cause this problem ... give us a reply hope she kicks up her heels and works fine for ya
    Hi thanks for getting back to me ,mine is the semi automatic and oil level is ok ,only bought it just over 3moths ago ,it had full service when I got it

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Gunkandpudge View Post
    If this is the original battery, good for you. Most batteries are replaced within 3 to 4 years. Yes a weak battery can cause the nanny going into limp mode. Yes low oil can cause the same thing. Check the oil level and if this battery is 6 years old, replace it.
    Hi oil is ok ,not sure about battery, do you know what make they have in from new ,and how do I get it out of limp mode ,thanks

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Red face

Quote Originally Posted by GeoffCee View Post
    Not long after I took delivery of my 2011 RT I was out riding in the company of a few bikes when I had the Limp Mode happen. (I found out later that I had been riding the brake pedal slightly in anticipation of the many sharp bends in the road). No way would that limp mode reset itself. One of the riders suggested I take the Spyder's transponder ignition key a distance away, he suggested 50 yards. I was VERY sceptical but also quite embarrassed that my trike had let me down, so I did what he had suggested. When I returned the Spyder started up without being in the limp mode, which was quite a relief! Turns out the the guy who had suggested the distant removal of the key drives modern trucks for a living and he had seen the equivalent of my 'limp mode' happen before.
    Hi thanks for information I will try that tomorrow

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SteveP View Post
    Are there any warning lights on ( oil etc) ? Have you read your manual to know how to pull any codes off the computer ? I would start there and do a battery test as well
    Hi the engine warning light is on, and there is the words CHECK ENGINE going across screen and ounce it said CHECK TRANSMISSION ,put battery on charger and it says its in good condition ,not sure where to get codes from.thanks

Spyder Garage

Default oil

Quote Originally Posted by barky View Post
    Hi thanks for getting back to me ,mine is the semi automatic and oil level is ok ,only bought it just over 3moths ago ,it had full service when I got it
    .... just double check that oil , even it is a little low will cause some thing too happen, my 2012 gets low ,after about 1000 mile ride it usually will top off , with about 5 or 6 ounces ... { just a double check in case this is a new cycle and you are still getting use too it }

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Chupaca View Post
    Knowing the codes is the best for us to help. Codes will only appear before you turn the spyder off after which they are stored and can only be seen with the buds system at the dealer....the "key walk" though said to be nonsense, does in fact work for many of these issues. You can also disconnect the battery so that the computers are forced to re set. Low battery once recharged will not cause this so there is some other reason. I have drained my battery, little nephews like to play on it, several time and recharged it and it is fine and over 4 years old...if you don't have the "spydercodes" app download free and it will show you how to get the codes and what they mean and in many cases how you can fix them....
    Hi thanks for reply ,was hoping to sort it without going to dealer, nearest one 2 hours away and I don't have a trailer,

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Pulling the codes:
    Start the bike up...
    Lay your thumb across the "Mode", and "Set" buttons...
    Find another finger, and push in the turnsignal switch (just like you were cancelling a signal...)
    Any active codes will pop up on the display.
    (If nothing shows up on the screen; there still may be codes stored in the computer, from the previous times the bike acted up.)

It does sound as if a new battery might just solve your problems: good luck!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

How to get codes on RS models.

RS faults 1.JPGRS faults 2.JPGRS faults 3.JPG
    Last edited by billybovine; 01-14-2017 at 02:09 PM.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

crap...
    I was thinking RT code-pulling!

Billy,
    GREAT catch! Thanks!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Chupaca View Post
    love your spyder is the pin striping painted on looks realy good

Spyder Garage

Default Real now....

I usually design it in tape and when it's where I want it to be I have it painted on...Now it is all painted on...

love your spyder is the pin striping painted on looks realy good
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Default Oil sender maybe?

Hi the engine warning light is on, and there is the words CHECK ENGINE going across screen and ounce it said CHECK TRANSMISSION ,put battery on charger and it says its in good condition ,not sure where to get codes from.thanks
    Others here would know more about your year of Spyder and if the oil pressure switch has been an issue . I have a 2008 GS and mine went into Limp mode a year ago and wouldn't go out of it . Ended up being a faulty oil pressure sensor that cost $80 installed . If you can't figure it out with the simpler things recommended on here or get answers from pulling the codes .. I would not keep starting and running it until you establish that you have oil pressure and that there isn't something serious wrong in the engine or transmission , JMHO . Book an appointment with the dealer , rent a trailer , make a day trip for some peace of mind .