Hybrid View

Spyder Garage

Default Mels Monster Garage passenger backrest

Today I am taking my Spyder to Roseville, MI to have a passenger backrest installed at Mels Monster Garage.

http://www.melsmonstergarage.com

I will have a full report including photos later today.

Spyder Garage

Cool beans Rando. Bonnie gonna be riding with you? I thought you were buying her a Spyder of her very own.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Rando View Post
    Today I am taking my Spyder to Roseville, MI to have a passenger backrest installed at Mels Monster Garage.

I bought my windshield from them some time ago, love it.

Spyder Garage

Looking forward to your review. I have it on my birthday wishlist
    2013 ST-S SE Pure Magnesium

Spyder Garage

It turned out to be a perfect day for a Spyder ryde! Jim Mels and his shop were a class act! They normally sell the passenger backrest with a pre-drilled tail piece. I wanted to keep my original one since I have NMN's (No Magic Neon) brake light installed.

Jim, his partner Mike and Jim's father carefully removed my tail piece and Jim took it inside to drill it using a jig. While Jim was setting up the jig, Mike and Jim's father installed the two brackets that go under the seat. You can install them without removing the seat but they showed me the easier way of just removing the seat. By the time the brackets were installed, Jim had the holes drilled and it was all ready for the tail piece to be put back on, wired up and slip the backrest in. Easy as pie! They were impressed with the NMN brake light and all the other goodies that I have purchased from NMN.

I had a nice ryde home and my wife Bonnie was anxiously waiting to see the backrest and try it out. She liked the way it looked but she also had a good suggestion. She thought it would look better with the chrome rods covered with black hose. I liked her idea so I went to the hardware store to get some. Check out the photos and let me know what you think. I like the way it looks with the chrome covered up!

We then took it out for a test ryde and she immediately gave it two big thumbs up!

All in all it was a perfect day and I had a great ryde on the Spyder.

Thanks to Jim, his Dad and Mike for making my wife one happy Spyder passenger!

Note: move your mouse over the photo for a brief description.
    Last edited by Rando; 04-11-2009 at 06:08 PM.

Spyder Garage

More photos...

Spyder Garage

Cool beans!!!! That's some serious hitch on that yellow Spyder.
    Marilyn

Spyder Garage

Keep the chrome covered. Black is back.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

I put the same back rest on my last night and the wife and I took it out today for a cruise to Beef O Brady's bike night. Had fun, and wife really likes this mod. She was taking pictures and even doing a little texting, which she never would have done without the backrest on, lol.

I also installed the kewlmetal passenger pegs, so with those 2 combined, wifie is pretty happy

Spyder Garage

I just installed the Mel's Monster Garage backrest. Very solid mount and very well designed. Going out for a test drive, will post pics this weekend!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Rando: In the last pic, what's the cable running next to the footpeg to the exhaust area? Edjac8 us, please.

Wayne
    Last edited by pauly1; 05-08-2009 at 09:53 PM. Reason: spelling
    2015 F3-S , OEM na Basic Black with Custom Wrap

Spyder Garage

It's not my bike but MMG's, but I do know that his muffler can be adjusted for more or less noise. It's a really neat setup for those times when you want a really loud muffler! I'm surprised MMG is not selling them. I don't remember the brand of muffler but I'm sure if you contact MMG he will let you know.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Spydr in KS View Post
    I just installed the Mel's Monster Garage backrest. Very solid mount and very well designed. Going out for a test drive, will post pics this weekend!
    Here are some pics. My son and wife love having the back rest, it works very well. I like that I can remove it and restore the stock clean lines of the tail.
    2013 ST-S SE Pure Magnesium

Spyder Garage

What does the mounting bracket look like and exactly where does it actually attach to the bike. In addition it looks as though the chrome verticle "pipes" that go into the back of the backrest end with square flat ends. How do these attached to the bracket under the seat.

Thanks in advance.

Rob
    HAPPY 2008 SE5 OWNER 1" BRP Riser, NMN 3" risers, NMN Triple Play & Tail Light, Kewlmetal Mirror Extensions, Evoluzione Powerbus, BRP 23" Touring Windshield on CHAD Bracket, Ride-On in tires, J&M Integrator, Gerbings Dual Zone Temp Controller & Heated Gloves, 2 Dash Mounted 12V outlets, Kewlmetal Highway Brackets & Kuryakyn pegs, Trunk Spring Mod, Vista Cruise Throttle Lock, Kuyrakyn L.E.D. Battery Guage

Spyder Garage

YOU HAVE A PM
    Thanks Ed

2009 RS with Hindle exhaust , handlebar risers , Green air filter , Juice box, Spyder Customs floor boards & Rifle windshield

Spyder Garage

Question Questions...

Hi every one,need some answer here about this great mods Backrest!!!!
    This was exactly what i'm looking for!!!Some here talk about is important for them to let the Spyder with the original tail,so thats why i looking for that backrest!!

Im from Quebec(Canada)and first i want to know if i can receive all what needed to make this mods??

I want to know if the Backrest was easy to remove??

What kind of price that cost?

Where can i order??

Well thanks for your answer...

Spyder Garage

I know the original post is old but can I still get this backrest? I'm having a hard time finding it. I checked the website and emailed them but didn't hear anything back. I love the stock look and this doesn't change it.

Spyder Garage

I just received an email from Jimmy from mels monster garage. It sounds like they are no longer in business. He said he will try to get a few made. So if you want one of these backrest you may want to email him soon.

mmgllc@wowway.com

This might help get him back in business. Looks and sounds like a great product.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Phantom888 View Post
    I just received an email from Jimmy from mels monster garage. It sounds like they are no longer in business. He said he will try to get a few made. So if you want one of these backrest you may want to email him soon.

mmgllc@wowway.com

This might help get him back in business. Looks and sounds like a great product.
    Reveive the same answer for Jimmy.... So now i look for Ultimate Seat...