Spyder Garage

Default SUNSHYN'S HOT Red Spyder Mods

Hello Spyder Lover Readers!

I am going to try to post the mods that my new baby has on her, based on what the bill of sale has listed in addition to the items added after delivery. This is the 2008 BRP Can Am Roadster Spyder GS SA R (this "description" is quoted from the orginal bill of sale) I purchased 3/12/2011. If I am not doing this correctly, please advise me. I just joined a few days ago.

Front Rim Kit, Wheel Dres. Kit, Caliper Decal, Racing Exhaust, Side panel Kit, Cal Si Windshield, Rear Rack, Backrest, HID Bream Kit, FR.Beam Kit, Trunk Bag Spyder, Block Extension Raiser Block, Comb. Harness, 12V Jack,
    Complete JMCB 2003 Spyder Kit, Lower cord 6 pin J&M System W.V.($24.99) Lower Cord 6 Pin J&M System W.V.($79.99), Integrated Headset Nolan N42,, Helmet N42NC Out FL BK, Helmet N42NC Out FLBK (for passenger). To the items above that were ordered and came from on the Spyder from the factory, the following items were added: Semi-automatic transmition (hope that is correct description), GPS, Day long custom seat with backrest, mirror extensions, chrome spider web, Floor Boards, Custom Grips, Sway Bar, Glo Rider. So that is what my Hot Red Spyder has. I want to get what I am calling a hard shell luggage or bag to attach, hopefully on the back behind the passenger seat. Any advise on any of this would certainly be appreciated. Thank you, in advance. Sunshyn aka Sandy
    Last edited by Sunshyn; 03-28-2011 at 08:19 PM. Reason: Decided a few words were not necessary to the content.

Spyder Garage

Hi Sunshyn. It sounds like you got a nicely setup Spyder. For hard luggage on the back of your Spyder, there are many options. Here are a few suggestions and there are many more out there once you start looking.

Corbin has side bags or rear bags that fit with their seat.
    http://www.corbin.com/can-am/cabag.shtml

Canam has their own saddle bag setup that works well and is removable.
    http://store.spyder.brp.com/product/..._Saddlebag_Kit

With a rear rack on your Spyder, there are a few different hard bags that can fit behind the seat on your Spyder. A common one would be something like the V46 from Givi or ones similar to that from other manufacturers.
    http://www.giviusa.com/cases/monokey/V46-TECH

My wife and I use the seat bag made by Bikers Friend. I have the XL one and she has the L. The only difference is that mine is a few inches wider but still fits nicely inside the passenger grab handles. With a few different mounting possibilities this can fit on Spyders with or without rear racks. We use their shock cord straps to mount ours under the seat and they remove so easy. With your Russell seat and backrest, you could go with the XLB to save a few bucks.
    http://www.bikersfriend.com/pages/bagsize.htm

Hope this helps and have fun with your Spyder.

ps. we also have Russell seats.
    Last edited by bjt; 03-15-2011 at 09:29 AM.
    Former Happy Spyder Owner
    Just decided it was time to move onto other things.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Spyder Garage

Pics when you get a chance!

Play Safe!!!

2010 RT.

Spyder Garage

Default pics

In reply to Eraser, I have some pics in an album on here. At least I thought I did.

Spyder Garage

Default pic

Eraser, I know it is tiny, but there is the avatar with me sitting on the .

Spyder Garage

Very nicely set up Spyder. Your going to enjoy it a lot. As you can see--I like red Spyders too! The avatar shows the Corbin Fairing and Trunk mentioned above. The bags are Givi.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Sunshyn View Post
    In reply to Eraser, I have some pics in an album on here. At least I thought I did.
    Got it. Nice Rig!!!

Play Safe!!!

2010 RT.

Spyder Garage

on your new Spyder. Take some time to get used to the feeling of all the mods you have so far, and soon enough you will start figuring out what works well for you and what doesn't. Half the fun of owning a Spyder is making it your own.
    Very Happy Spyder Ryder!

Click here to see My Spyder Mods

Spyder Garage

Default Thank you

Thank you, SpyderWolf..... about my new baby. I've had it a week now, and have only ridden it one time. I go out to the garage and check on her every day, though. I want to take the motorcycle certification first, because I have zero experience. My first ride alone on my scared me silly. My description of the throttle is a bottle rocket taking off in your hand. I want to be safe, so am taking this VERRRRRRY SLOW AND CAREFULLY.

Sunshyn aka Sandy

Registered Users JJW SpyderRider's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Thank you, SpyderWolf..... about my new baby. I've had it a week now, and have only ridden it one time. I go out to the garage and check on her every day, though. I want to take the motorcycle certification first, because I have zero experience. My first ride alone on my scared me silly. My description of the throttle is a bottle rocket taking off in your hand. I want to be safe, so am taking this VERRRRRRY SLOW AND CAREFULLY.

Sunshyn aka Sandy
    My '09 GS is my first time riding a M/C, I bought it without a test ride because I didn't have my license yet. If the throttle is a little touchy to you try rubbing your tumb on the throttle housing to act like a throttle break as you turn the throttle. This really helped me keep the throttle steady when turning and not jerking the throttle too far open when taking off.

Enjoy your new

RT-S: HMT brake light, mud flap lights/turn signals, Trailer hitch, Garmin 660 GPS, Ride-On, Travel cover, LED Mirror turn signals, LED trunk lighting, RGB ground effect lighting, BajRon anti-sway bar, to be continued ......

Member of the WSR (Woodstock Spyder Riders)

Spyder Garage

Default Good advise

Spyderwolf,

Thank you for throttle advise. I'll try that. You should have seen me when I put it in reverse. No..... on second thought you should not have seen me. My neighbors thought it was just hilarious. Well, I'm glad to know that there is someone else who has had some experience with THIS NEW EXPERIENCE. I'm looking forward to being able to handle it rather than it handling me. AKSpyder told me I should count on several hundred hours before considering myself ready to run the highways.

Sunshyn

Spyder Garage

Spyderwolf,

Thank you for throttle advise. I'll try that. You should have seen me when I put it in reverse. No..... on second thought you should not have seen me. My neighbors thought it was just hilarious. Well, I'm glad to know that there is someone else who has had some experience with THIS NEW EXPERIENCE. I'm looking forward to being able to handle it rather than it handling me. AKSpyder told me I should count on several hundred hours before considering myself ready to run the highways.

Sunshyn
    I don't know about several hundred hours. That would translate to some 10,000 miles. A few hundred usually does it...and a couple thousand will make you quite confident. My wife was new to motorcycles, other than riding her Trail 90 around in the campground. She took an MSF course (on two wheels), and practiced for about a week, an hour or two a day, in an empty parking lot. The Owners Guide and owners' DVD have a good skill course. Buy some soccer cones or cut some tennis balls in half, and practice, if you can. After the parking lot sessions, Nancy did a few days on the quiet streets in our neighborhood, then ventured out into traffic on busier city streets. In about a week she was ready for rural highways, then freeways soon after. You'll get used to the throttle. Just remember that you can turn it off by hand, just as easily as you can turn it on. The skills course will get you used to that. An MSF course will, too.

If worse comes to worse, a throttle tensioning device like the Throttlemeister, makes the movement of the throttle slower and less touchy. Most folks recommend against keeping a Throttlemeister engaged except when cruising, but as long as you develop the habit of always turning the throttle off forcibly every time, it is not a problem to my way of thinking. Even without it, the bottom line is that practice makes perfect. Try starting the Spyder, putting it in neutral with the parking brake engaged, then practicing trying to hold a chosen rpm (up to about 4,000), backing off or increasing to another rpm level, etc. You can also practice raising the rpm slowly and evenly. You'll get used to this in no time. Remember the first time you drove a car?
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

Scotty--it was 1 -2 hours of parking lot time recommended before hitting the road. I recommended my usual procedure, similar to yours, as printed in several other of my replies to threads. Parking lot first, quiet roads second, then highways and highway speeds. I still believe 200-500 miles for a new person is sufficient for getting used to the Spyder enough to ride--then we get better from there.
    Last edited by ARtraveler; 03-19-2011 at 12:54 PM.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by akspyderman View Post
    Scotty--it was 1 -2 hours of parking lot time recommended before hitting the road. I recommended my usual procedure, similar to yours, as printed in several other of my replies to threads. Parking lot first, quiet roads second, then highways and highway speeds. I still believe 200-500 miles for a new person is sufficient for getting used to the Spyder enough to ride--then we get better from there.
    I had no doubt that you had done so. Just an apparent misunderstanding.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!