Spyder Garage

Default Snow tires on a Spyder? Why not?

Hi folks,
    Posted a similar question on facebook but thought I might get more constructive replies here.
    People have asked if Spyders can be ridden in the snow and the general response seems that the tires don't have enough traction. But since our tires are basically automotive sizes, what's wrong with putting snow tires on a Spyder? Studdless or studded?
    I live in Seattle so we don't see much snow but I would love to take the Spyder east of the mountains. I do ride year round BTW.
    I did consider the possibility of snow gumming up the belt but I think as long as much snow isn't getting kicked up from the ground, it should be manageable... ??
    2015 Spyder F3-S SM6

Spyder Garage

GriffonT, I've run 'all-weather M&S' rated tires (non-studded) on my 2013 RT Ltd AND ridden some significant distance in snow (some of what little we have Down Under) on effectively 'un-cleared roads' without any problems!!

So if you keep to the same sort of tire sizes that are known to work, make sure the more aggressive tread isn't going to catch on anything underneath, & keep your control inputs smooth & gentle to avoid wheelspin or traction loss when attempting sudden direction or speed changes, you should be fine!!

Others besides myself have also managed OK ryding in the snow, there are even vids posted on youtube of this occurring; altho there are also some few who've demonstrated that it is pretty easy to wake the Nanny up & thereby trigger limp mode thru those aforementioned 'control inputs' to avoid (ie, the aggressive stuff!) But I feel sure that if you try to avoid bringing that sort of thing upon yourself by ryding smoothly & slowly with gentle control inputs, & the snow isn't too deep or icy, then you shouldn't have too much trouble.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 01-12-2017 at 04:48 AM.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I seem to recall that SethO gave studded tires a try...
    I don't remember how it worked for him; you might want to PM him, to find out.
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Any salt use in the area ? Very nasty stuff, I always come off the road before that appears. Good luck.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

So do I.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Saluda View Post
    Any salt use in the area ?.....
    We don't hafta worry about that salt stuff too much in our snow fields here - just about everywhere that we are likely to see snow much at all is either in a National Park or a Conservation Area, and salt is definitely NOT PERMITTED!!

They can use grit on the roads, but not salt - that might hurt the rare roadside weeds or the even rarer pygmy possums, corroboree frogs, etc!

Spyder Garage

Default You can....

Mostly it is a maintenace thing being so low to the ground. salt, chemicals and sand do make for many problems if not cleaned off right after a ryde. Pure snow would be fine but one still wonders how well things under there hold up if packed with snow....
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Studded tires are illegal in MI, and they were also banned in NY when I still lived there (Bob, have they repealed that?). It seems utterly insane to render us helpless, but their excuse is that studs cause excessive wear and tear on the pavement.

2015 Sypder RT-S SE6
    2016 Polaris Sportsman 570 ATV
    2003 F250 SuperDuty
    American Saddlebred Horses

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

As far as I know: they're legal in New York... from Mid-October through Mid-April.
    But since I haven't used them in years: my information may be out of date.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

SethO used a studded tire in MN. He said he could drive through 6 inches of the white stuff. Also said they are illegal, but he is disabled vet. They didn't give him any trouble. That's what he told me.

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default SNOW TIRES

Hey girl how you doing ...... IMHO this is silly, but think about these issues ..... Tire size, a 225/50-15 Snow tire is quite a bit larger than that size in an ALL-SEASON tire so it may not fit ...... I would PM Seth-O and find out EXACTLY what He used /did etc......... The rubber compounds they use today in GENUINE SNOW TIRES are very different than other tires ...... that's why they DON'T GIVE WEAR WARRANTIES on them ...... and I have seen video's of Spyders in the snow .... they aren't going over 20 mph and none have slammed on their BRAKES ...... things to think about ......... please don't try this, I like you ..................... Mike
    Last edited by BLUEKNIGHT911; 01-12-2017 at 12:26 PM.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I've ridden with the stock tires over patches of snow / slush - keep the inputs smooth and the Spyder gets through it fine as long as it's not too slick or deep. Snow tires would greatly enhance traction. Mostly the folks who don't ride in the snow don't want the added cleaning/maintenance afterwards or like me, don't have a second set of wheels (or the lift/tools) to swap in and out each season.
    When life throws you curves, aim for the apex
    Current stable: 09 Thruxton / 09 FZ6
    Sold List: 97 Ninja500R, 03 SV650K3, 01 Ducati 750Sport Dark, 73 CB350/4, 03 F650GSA, 08 Gixxer600, 03 Gixxer600, 91 VFR750F, 09 KLX250, 06 Thruxton 900, 08 Spyder RS , 12 Street TripleR, 15 RC390, 02 VFR800, 09 KLX250S, 10 F650GS
    JLohPhotos
    ... Motorcycles are kind of like Baskin Robbins... You're looking at 31 flavors of ice cream, don't you kind of want to know what they all taste like?...
    2008 GS , Millennium Yellow

Spyder Garage

I spoke in detail about studs and snow tires in the most two recent threads on the subject. I am against their use.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Default Snow travel with a Spyder

I was on a site the other day and noticed snow chains for bikes. Anyone use them?

Good Luck

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    As far as I know: they're legal in New York... from Mid-October through Mid-April.
    But since I haven't used them in years: my information may be out of date.
    Yup, you're right. According to legalbeagle.com:

Technically speaking, it is unlawful to operate a vehicle outfitted with tires that have metal devices extending from the tire tread in New York. It is, however, legal to operate vehicles equipped with studded tires that meet certain tread specifications, but you can only drive them between October 15 and May 1.

The law against studded tires does not apply to tires outfitted with metal studs that have a diameter less than three-eighths of an inch and a length less than three thirty-seconds of an inch. Furthermore, your studded tires cannot have a contact area more than three-fourths of one percent of the total surface area of the tire. You can determine the surface area of your tire by taking the circumference of the edge of the tread and multiplying it by the width of the tread.

2015 Sypder RT-S SE6
    2003 F250 SuperDuty

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I think that they did that in order to keep folks from filling their tires with sheet metal screws, and then scattering them all over the highways. (Causing all kinds of tire punctures! )

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BVGOtumdDLY
    Last edited by Bob Denman; 01-12-2017 at 03:27 PM.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Aracknoid View Post
    I was on a site the other day and noticed snow chains for bikes. Anyone use them?

Good Luck
    A broken or loose tire chain would wreak havoc on belts and plastic components. I would not use chains under any circumstances. Also, chains are usually made for slow speed operation. 30 or so is pushing the limit.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    I think that they did that in order to keep folks from filling their tires with sheet metal screws, and then scattering them all over the highways. (Causing all kinds of tire punctures! )

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BVGOtumdDLY
    Holy Moly! The stuff people come up with!

Oh, and FWIW about MI, it's actually not illegal, per se, to use studded tires, it's just that the mfrs must prove that their product will do zero damage to paved roads, and zero mfrs have presented acceptable stats. I don't know if they're incapable of producing a harmless stud, or if they just don't care to try. But it sure is a PITA, 'cuz I really relied on my studded tires in the hills and mountains of upstate NY, and I wish I could use them here. They do make a difference.

2015 Sypder RT-S SE6
    2003 F250 SuperDuty

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Saluda View Post
    Any salt use in the area ? Very nasty stuff, I always come off the road before that appears. Good luck.
    I so the same here! Due to insurance purposes. Deanna

Current Spyder - 2023 F3 LTD Special Mineral Blue

Red LED NANO Saddlebag Marker Lights with Full Illumination
    Sequential Fender LED'S (Amber/Red) with Safety Reflector
    Dual Power Plate (12 V & USB ports)
    Gremlin Bell
    Rear Trunk Organizer (4 holders, 2 Elastic Holders)
    Lamonster "Top Cuff" with adjustable drink Holder
    SpyderPops Missing Guard Belt
    Console Accent Trim (Carbon Fiber Domed Black)
    Ultimate F3 Floorboards
    Front Fairing Service Access Door Covers (Carbon Fiber Doomed Black)
    Sway Bar with Links
    Rolo Laser Alignment
    Half Cover
    A-Arm Daytime Dual Color LED Running Lights with Blinker Module
    Hi-Viz DRL and Sequential Mirrors lights
    Marinco 12Volt Power Receptacle with polarized leads & slide lock
    Show chrome Trunk Shock

Former Spyder - 2014 RTS SE6 Cognac SOLD

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Chupaca View Post
    Mostly it is a maintenace thing being so low to the ground. salt, chemicals and sand do make for many problems if not cleaned off right after a ryde. Pure snow would be fine but one still wonders how well things under there hold up if packed with snow....
    Deanna

Current Spyder - 2023 F3 LTD Special Mineral Blue

Red LED NANO Saddlebag Marker Lights with Full Illumination
    Sequential Fender LED'S (Amber/Red) with Safety Reflector
    Dual Power Plate (12 V & USB ports)
    Gremlin Bell
    Rear Trunk Organizer (4 holders, 2 Elastic Holders)
    Lamonster "Top Cuff" with adjustable drink Holder
    SpyderPops Missing Guard Belt
    Console Accent Trim (Carbon Fiber Domed Black)
    Ultimate F3 Floorboards
    Front Fairing Service Access Door Covers (Carbon Fiber Doomed Black)
    Sway Bar with Links
    Rolo Laser Alignment
    Half Cover
    A-Arm Daytime Dual Color LED Running Lights with Blinker Module
    Hi-Viz DRL and Sequential Mirrors lights
    Marinco 12Volt Power Receptacle with polarized leads & slide lock
    Show chrome Trunk Shock

Former Spyder - 2014 RTS SE6 Cognac SOLD

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by griffontamer View Post
    Hi folks,
    Posted a similar question on facebook but thought I might get more constructive replies here.
    People have asked if Spyders can be ridden in the snow and the general response seems that the tires don't have enough traction. But since our tires are basically automotive sizes, what's wrong with putting snow tires on a Spyder? Studdless or studded?
    I live in Seattle so we don't see much snow but I would love to take the Spyder east of the mountains. I do ride year round BTW.
    I did consider the possibility of snow gumming up the belt but I think as long as much snow isn't getting kicked up from the ground, it should be manageable... ??
    IMO, you would want to change all three to winter tires, not just all season. But traction will still be an issue I think because there is so much less weight on the tires, both for drive and steering.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

You guys have made some good points... I didn't want to elaborate too much but in the back of my mind I have thoughts of building a dedicated "adventure" Spyder that can go out and play where I wouldn't take the shiny new F3S... I actually bought my white RS-S with that in mind but then foolishly sold it later (trying to be responsible, whatever that is!), now I miss it! Anyway, I appreciate the replies and it sounds like it's doable if one uses their brain, which I generally try to do...

And Mike, don't worry, I won't do anything TOO crazy
    2015 Spyder F3-S SM6

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

The more I read this thread the more I think I should ditch the "summer tread" tires. My Spyder is actually our all weather two up ride. When it's nice out we usually ride two wheelers, saving the Spyder for touring in all sorts of weather and in winter when roads are sketchy. In that vein I should probably look at all season tires. We'll take Spydie out when there's frost on the road - or run it through patches of snow in early spring or winter. Pure winter tires are too soft to last, but a set of aggressive tread all seasons.. hmmm...maybe.
    When life throws you curves, aim for the apex
    Current stable: 09 Thruxton / 09 FZ6
    Sold List: 97 Ninja500R, 03 SV650K3, 01 Ducati 750Sport Dark, 73 CB350/4, 03 F650GSA, 08 Gixxer600, 03 Gixxer600, 91 VFR750F, 09 KLX250, 06 Thruxton 900, 08 Spyder RS , 12 Street TripleR, 15 RC390, 02 VFR800, 09 KLX250S, 10 F650GS
    JLohPhotos
    ... Motorcycles are kind of like Baskin Robbins... You're looking at 31 flavors of ice cream, don't you kind of want to know what they all taste like?...
    2008 GS , Millennium Yellow

Spyder Garage

The two front tires act as two nice little snow plows. Snow tread or not, that extra resistance will cause the rear tire to break loose.

I am a pretty gung ho ryder. I have tried riding in snow and ice. It's your money, it's your spyder, do what you want and be safe out there. Mine stays parked from first to last black ice.

2020 F3L , Magma Red