Spyder Garage

Default Jacking up the rear of my 2012RT?

My 2012 RT is in a climate Controlled storage facility & I'd like to put the rear wheel on a dolly to make it easier to move around in the area that I rent. I know somebody that has a dolly that has four casters on it and it seems like it would serve my purpose. The only catch would be getting the rear wheel into/onto it? Any hints, advice, experience with something like this? TIA

Spyder Garage

Just put a block of wood on a floor jack and the jack under the rear most part of the frame and jack it up.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Tomline View Post
    My 2012 RT is in a climate Controlled storage facility & I'd like to put the rear wheel on a dolly to make it easier to move around in the area that I rent. I know somebody that has a dolly that has four casters on it and it seems like it would serve my purpose. The only catch would be getting the rear wheel into/onto it? Any hints, advice, experience with something like this? TIA

May not be what you're looking for but I use the sunex tools dolly # 7708 (12.8 inches wide) purchased through Summit Racing. No need to use separate jack and product is wide enough to fit under my f3s unlike some others that just weren't. Now when my spyder has to be moved about the garage, it's a breeze.

Spyder Garage

Harbor Freight sells a car dolly for the same purpose They should work great.

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by pegasus1300 View Post
    Harbor Freight sells a car dolly for the same purpose They should work great.

Beware of adjustable car dollies from Harbor Freight for our Spyders.
    Went that route until it was discovered that our belt guard and tire width requires at least a 12.8 or 13 inch wide unit that lifts the rear. Just for info purpose. I would think the 4 wheel dolly that requires jacking up the rear and placing Spyder on the square plate would suffice. I have seen a three wheel model at Harbor freight a while back.
    Last edited by juscuz; 01-12-2017 at 08:17 PM.

Spyder Garage

Default As juscuz says, the Harbor Freight self jacking dolly is a little narrow to clear

the belt sprocket and still allow jacking. I have kept it tho and use the floor jack to place the rear wheel on the dolly with the lever latched and it rolls very smoothly. If I'm just maneuvering the bike or for short storage periods, the floor jack with a piece of rubber tread on top grips the frame member in front of the shock, and allows a smooth sideways maneauver.
    For longer storage, I usually place a 7" long 4X4 inch wooden block under the frame member about even with the footpegs and that gets the bike weight off the tires for the winter.
    2015 RT , OEM Black Gloss

Spyder Garage

Default Let's see....

20150630_123305.jpg this is a full lift and I move her around like this but if you place a block under the rear shock mount you can lift the rear with a sissor or floor jack and slip the dolley under...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

For the 30 seconds it's gonna be on a jack, just jack it up right under the rear shock mount and slide the dolly under it. You don't need to go out and buy anything fancy.
    2021 RT Limited

2016 RTS , Pearl White

Spyder Garage

7.99 Harbor Freight moving dolly works just fine. I use one and jack up the back push the dolly under the wheel and off ya go.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Nothern hydraulics

Snowmobile dollys. $25 for a set of three dollys. 1500 lb. capacity.

Spyder Garage

Default 600 lb Moving Dollies

I used three 600 lb moving dollies on my STS. Just jacked her up and slid them under the tires.
    She moves easily on the concrete floor..In the pictures the softail slim is on one 1000 lb dolly, again moves so easily.
    Close quarters in the shed.
    Attached Images Attached Images