Spyder Garage

Default Ice, Snow and LOW Temps!

We've experienced a bit of "severe winter" here in NC, and my 2012 RT SE5 has to remain outdoors. Thankfully, I have an old car cover that's permeable and fits over the entire bike. We've had an ice and snow storm, along with a week of ultra-low temps (in the teens). I've had my Battery Tender Jr. plugged in throughout, and when I check it, the light is solid green, which means the battery is still "alive and well". I'm hoping to take the cover off and check out the bike this weekend. I'll wipe her down with a chamois, check everything visually, then start her up. If all goes well, I'll take her for a 5-10 mile ride. I'm hoping and praying that the ice, snow and low temps didn't do any damage...

Spyder Garage

Other than road conditions affecting your ride, the cold shouldn't have any negative effect. They (Spyders) are after all, made by the same company that makes Ski-doo snowmobiles, <G> shoot up here in MN you see bare snowmobiles sitting out in yards and all covered in snow and ice between rides... I envy you considering a ride this week, we've still got snow/ice, and cruddy salt covered roads everywhere.....
    Safe Rides,
    David and Sharon Goebel
    Both Retired USAF Veterans
    2018 Anniversary Edition RT Limited
    Baja Ron ultimate swaybar. Vredestein tires, Baja Ron Front Shock Pre-load adjusters, Pedal Box, See my Spyder Garage
    IBA 70020

Spyder Garage

Do not even worry

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

The bike can take anything that Old Man Winter throws at it!
    One word of caution:
    If you DO take your bike out for a ride: make sure that you get it up to full operating temperatures, before shutting it back down.

Okay... that was more than one word!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by solidgranite View Post
    We've experienced a bit of "severe winter" here in NC, and my 2012 RT SE5 has to remain outdoors. Thankfully, I have an old car cover that's permeable and fits over the entire bike. We've had an ice and snow storm, along with a week of ultra-low temps (in the teens). I've had my Battery Tender Jr. plugged in throughout, and when I check it, the light is solid green, which means the battery is still "alive and well". I'm hoping to take the cover off and check out the bike this weekend. I'll wipe her down with a chamois, check everything visually, then start her up. If all goes well, I'll take her for a 5-10 mile ride. I'm hoping and praying that the ice, snow and low temps didn't do any damage...
    only thing the cold will hurt on your bike is if the antifreeze has been flushed and replaced with just water.

Spyder Garage

I would not take spyder out for a ride, you will get salt, road brine( if they use it in your area) on the spyder. It is not worth it. Roads might be icy, snowy. To each his/or her own! Deanna

Current Spyder - 2023 F3 LTD Special Mineral Blue

Red LED NANO Saddlebag Marker Lights with Full Illumination
    Sequential Fender LED'S (Amber/Red) with Safety Reflector
    Dual Power Plate (12 V & USB ports)
    Gremlin Bell
    Rear Trunk Organizer (4 holders, 2 Elastic Holders)
    Lamonster "Top Cuff" with adjustable drink Holder
    SpyderPops Missing Guard Belt
    Console Accent Trim (Carbon Fiber Domed Black)
    Ultimate F3 Floorboards
    Front Fairing Service Access Door Covers (Carbon Fiber Doomed Black)
    Sway Bar with Links
    Rolo Laser Alignment
    Half Cover
    A-Arm Daytime Dual Color LED Running Lights with Blinker Module
    Hi-Viz DRL and Sequential Mirrors lights

Former Spyder - 2014 RTS SE6 Cognac SOLD
    2023 F3 LTD Special Series , N/A N/A Mineral Blue

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    One word of caution:
    If you DO take your bike out for a ride: make sure that you get it up to full operating temperatures, before shutting it back down.

Not just full coolant operating temperature, but get the oil up to temperature which takes more time.
    2020 RT Limited , Marsala Red

Spyder Garage

Default Not Cold Right Now

Quote Originally Posted by DGoebel View Post
    Other than road conditions affecting your ride, the cold shouldn't have any negative effect. They (Spyders) are after all, made by the same company that makes Ski-doo snowmobiles, <G> shoot up here in MN you see bare snowmobiles sitting out in yards and all covered in snow and ice between rides... I envy you considering a ride this week, we've still got snow/ice, and cruddy salt covered roads everywhere.....
    The Spyder ran just fine. I only went about 10 miles, but it was great to ride even this short distance. I keep the Spyder covered mainly so that falling tree branches, pine cones, etc. don't smack it directly, but will bounce off the cover.

Spyder Garage

Default Did That

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    One word of caution:

I started it and let it idle for 2-3 minutes before taking off. Everything sounded fine, and it rode like a dream! :-)

Spyder Garage

Default No Salt Out Here

Quote Originally Posted by Deanna777 View Post
    I would not take spyder out for a ride, you will get salt, road brine( if they use it in your area) on the spyder. It is not worth it. Roads might be icy, snowy. To each his/or her own! Deanna
    I'm outside the city limits, in "the county", and they don't use salt or brine (mainly because of the expense!) on the roads out here. Two days of 50-60 degrees melted everything, so no danger of ice remaining. I will have to wash off a significant amount of mud, though. My yard is waterlogged, and even walking on it leaves deep footprints. Can't wait for Spring!

Spyder Garage

Default Full Antifreeze

Quote Originally Posted by quasi View Post
    only thing the cold will hurt on your bike is if the antifreeze has been flushed and replaced with just water.
    Got her all filled up with 50/50 antifreeze back in October, so should have no problems on that end.

Spyder Garage

Irode home from work yesterday morning at 27 degrees. Spyder ran perfectly as long as roads are dry. experienced a bit of riding on some snow last weekend. does slip around fairly easy on snow but sure is fun to ride any time.