Spyder Garage

Default Rivco CA020-WO Floorboards - My Impressions

I installed the Rivco CA020-WO Driver Floorboard on my 2011 RSS today. I'm holding off installing the ISCIRIDE.com brake extender until I'm sure I'm pleased with the floorboards since the installation requires a level of modification which can't be undone without replacing the entire OEM brake pedal ($75 and a whole lotta labor). The installation took ~2 hours and required a bit of ingenuity to get the engine mount replacement bolts installed. The Rivco provided hardware left something to be desired. The bolt used for the foot peg mount was stainless steel, the engine mount replacement bolt was anodized and the bracket bolt was a lower grade steel cadmium bolt (guess they have never heard of dissimilar metal corrosion).

Rivco's instructions are totally ridiculous and don't apply to the CA020-WO part. The instructions cover the 2013 variant of floorboards but are suppose to be similar to the 2012 and earlier models, (THEY ARE NOT). The instruction are basically worthless. I called Rivco to see if there were instructions for the CA020-WO specific install and it was an exercise in futility. I most likely could have cut install time by 1/2 hour had the instruction been even remotely
    applicable.

Once the install was complete I was pleased with the change in rider positioning and quality of the basic floorboard and mount bracket. I'm 5'8" and in addition to the floorboard have previously installed a 1.5" riser block on my handlebars. The stubby sport pegs which can be stowed are a nice addition in the event I want to switch riding position back to a more agressive stance. The isolation / dampening mounts on the floorboards are also a nice addition and should cut down on fatigue during longer rides.

Lastly the light silver brackets and chrome floorboard base don't match the gloss black and metallic silver color scheme of the RSS and tend to make the floorboards standout as definitively an aftermarket addition. I'll continue to ride the Spyder and ensure I'm comfortable with the change and after a few weeks or so if I decide to keep the floorboards I'll remove them for the brake pedal modification which entails removing the rubber pad and using a grinder and cutoff wheel to remove the horizontal portion of the pedal and drilling the vertical brake bracket and mounting the extender. After which I will paint the bracket and possibly the chrome base a gun metal gray to match the OEM surrounding parts....
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Just cause you got the monkey off your back doesn't
    mean the circus has left town.
    - George Carlin

Hollywood, Maryland
    2015 F3S, SE-6
    oem backrest, oem saddlebags, F4 Customs windshield, oem fog lights
    2011 RSS, SE-5
    Handlebar Riser, Heat Wraped exhaust, Power ports int./ext., 23" touring windshield, Led brake lighting strips.

2014 RTL , Black

SpyderLovers Sponsor Motorcycledave's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Do your self a favor

Install the break extension and the longer brake pedal, you will not be sorry
    I have them on mine and wouldn't be with out them, it's much safer to have the brakes farther forward you're not going to be looking for it with your heal.

Quote Originally Posted by MDBrion View Post
    I installed the Rivco CA020-WO Driver Floorboard on my 2011 RSS today. I'm holding off installing the ISCIRIDE.com brake extender until I'm sure I'm pleased with the floorboards since the installation requires a level of modification which can't be undone without replacing the entire OEM brake pedal ($75 and a whole lotta labor). The installation took ~2 hours and required a bit of ingenuity to get the engine mount replacement bolts installed. The Rivco provided hardware left something to be desired. The bolt used for the foot peg mount was stainless steel, the engine mount replacement bolt was anodized and the bracket bolt was a lower grade steel cadmium bolt (guess they have never heard of dissimilar metal corrosion).

Rivco's instructions are totally ridiculous and don't apply to the CA020-WO part. The instructions cover the 2013 variant of floorboards but are suppose to be similar to the 2012 and earlier models, (THEY ARE NOT). The instruction are basically worthless. I called Rivco to see if there were instructions for the CA020-WO specific install and it was an exercise in futility. I most likely could have cut install time by 1/2 hour had the instruction been even remotely
    applicable.

Once the install was complete I was pleased with the change in rider positioning and quality of the basic floorboard and mount bracket. I'm 5'8" and in addition to the floorboard have previously installed a 1.5" riser block on my handlebars. The stubby sport pegs which can be stowed are a nice addition in the event I want to switch riding position back to a more agressive stance. The isolation / dampening mounts on the floorboards are also a nice addition and should cut down on fatigue during longer rides.

Lastly the light silver brackets and chrome floorboard base don't match the gloss black and metallic silver color scheme of the RSS and tend to make the floorboards standout as definitively an aftermarket addition. I'll continue to ride the Spyder and ensure I'm comfortable with the change and after a few weeks or so if I decide to keep the floorboards I'll remove them for the brake pedal modification which entails removing the rubber pad and using a grinder and cutoff wheel to remove the horizontal portion of the pedal and drilling the vertical brake bracket and mounting the extender. After which I will paint the bracket and possibly the chrome base a gun metal gray to match the OEM surrounding parts....

Spyder Garage

Hi MDBrion,

Re: I'm holding off installing the ISCIRIDE.com brake extender

I have the floorboards & the brake extender. I found that with just the floorboards, the factory brake pedal hit me right in the ankle; and it was painful. But, I do understand about it being a one-way street.

Re: The installation took ~2 hours

My instructions told me about how difficult it is do the floorboards install. I found it very, very simple. Just undo what they say to & put the bars up there and tighten things up. I was rather surprised on how simple the floorboard install was. I actually had a bunch of tools out & never used them.

And I am not saying that anything that you have posted is wrong.

Also, I did not remove the floorboards to do the brake pedal extender install. I have a couple of old blankets that I use for those 'whatevers' and I just tied one around everything I could during both the grinding & the painting.

I can recommend the brake pedal extender; however, different strokes for different folks.

Best of luck if you do buy & install it.

Jerry Baumchen
    'I'll never forget what's her name.'

'Things are more like they are now than they ever have been before.' Dwight Eisenhower

2008 GS SE-5

Spyder Garage

Default Break extension...

Quote Originally Posted by Motorcycledave View Post
    Install the break extension and the longer brake pedal, you will not be sorry
    I have them on mine and wouldn't be with out them, it's much safer to have the brakes farther forward you're not going to be looking for it with your heal.
    Ill certainly install the break extender "if" I keep the floorboards... Just didn't want to take the angle grinder to the pedal before I was sure about the change. Thanks for the feedback !
    - George Carlin

Hollywood, Maryland
    2015 F3S, SE-6
    2011 RSS, SE-5
    Handlebar Riser, Heat Wraped exhaust, Power ports int./ext., 23" touring windshield, Led brake lighting strips.

2014 RTL , Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JerryB View Post
    Hi MDBrion,

Re: I'm holding off installing the ISCIRIDE.com brake extender

I have the floorboards & the brake extender. I found that with just the floorboards, the factory brake pedal hit me right in the ankle; and it was painful. But, I do understand about it being a one-way street.

Re: The installation took ~2 hours

My instructions told me about how difficult it is do the floorboards install. I found it very, very simple. Just undo what they say to & put the bars up there and tighten things up. I was rather surprised on how simple the floorboard install was. I actually had a bunch of tools out & never used them.

And I am not saying that anything that you have posted is wrong.

Also, I did not remove the floorboards to do the brake pedal extender install. I have a couple of old blankets that I use for those 'whatevers' and I just tied one around everything I could during both the grinding & the painting.

I can recommend the brake pedal extender; however, different strokes for different folks.

Best of luck if you do buy & install it.

Jerry Baumchen
    Thanks for the feedback Jerry,
    Ill certainly install the break extender "if" I keep the floorboards... Just didn't want to take the angle grinder to the pedal before I was sure... I agree the installation wasn't difficult, I just have issues with a company like Rivco putting out a product with instructions that are crap. I've gotten junk from China with better instructions. Lastly, I only plan to remove the boards to paint them gun metal gray to match the OEM surrounding metal. Figured I do the grinding at the same time.
    - George Carlin

Hollywood, Maryland
    2015 F3S, SE-6
    2011 RSS, SE-5

2014 RTL , Black

Spyder Garage

Hi MDBrion,

Re: Figured I do the grinding at the same time.

Then I strongly recommend that you measure for the new hole that you will need to drill before you remove the floorboards. If you get it too low, your brake pedal could hit the floorboard before stopping you.

Locating that new hole was what scared me the most,

Jerry Baumchen

'Things are more like they are now than they ever have been before.' Dwight Eisenhower

2008 GS SE-5

Spyder Garage

Default Ahhh thank you Sensei !

Hi MDBrion,

Re: Figured I do the grinding at the same time.

Then I strongly recommend that you measure for the new hole that you will need to drill before you remove the floorboards. If you get it too low, your brake pedal could hit the floorboard before stopping you.

Locating that new hole was what scared me the most,

Jerry Baumchen
    Thanks Jerry ! Now that is a handy piece of information I might have overlooked or had to re-fit the floorboard to capture the perfect mark ! Appreciate the insight
    - George Carlin

Hollywood, Maryland
    2015 F3S, SE-6
    2011 RSS, SE-5

2014 RTL , Black

Spyder Garage

Hi MDBrion

And this might help also:

f-1.jpg

Jerry Baumchen

2008 GS SE-5

Spyder Garage

Default Wrap-Up...

Decided I like the change in riding position and overall feel of the Rivco floorboards. Since I'm keeping them today's project became finalization of the install which entails cutting the OEM brake and installing the brake extender, and refinishing the paint to match the black metallic finish of the RSS surrounding frame structure. Cutting the brake required additional attention to the measurement to ensure full throw of the pedal when the floorboard is installed ( thanks for the tip Jerry !) I wet towels and draped them over the body to protect from metal grinding, and cutoff of the pedal was relatively easy. Next I fitted the new extended pedal into place ensured adequate movement clearance and marke the hole. Hit it with the center punch and drilled to match the hole diameter of the new part. Completed final fit check and brake throw check and cleaned the parts to prep for paint.

Removed the floorboards and taped off the upper isolated base plate. Scuffed the chrome and surrounding manufacturer painted bracket with fine grit sandpaper and cleaned everything with alcohol wipe to prep for paint. Sprayed the chrome and brackets with adhesion promoter and primer. After recommended 30 minute set time a second coat was applied and then painting began after another 5 minutes with the Black Metallic topcoat. Final assembly occurred late in the afternoon and I pleased to say it turned out great. The color match is great and it makes the floorboard appear much more like an OEM part and not a stand out.

.image.jpgimage.jpg
    - George Carlin

Hollywood, Maryland
    2015 F3S, SE-6
    2011 RSS, SE-5

2014 RTL , Black

Spyder Garage

Hi MDBrion,

Re: Wrap-Up...

Good for you. It does look nice.

I'm a DIY'er to the point of stupidity; but always find it nice when a job is finished & and everything actually works.

Jerry Baumchen

2008 GS SE-5

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by MDBrion View Post
    Thanks for the feedback Jerry,
    Ill certainly install the break extender "if" I keep the floorboards... Just didn't want to take the angle grinder to the pedal before I was sure... I agree the installation wasn't difficult, I just have issues with a company like Rivco putting out a product with instructions that are crap. I've gotten junk from China with better instructions. Lastly, I only plan to remove the boards to paint them gun metal gray to match the OEM surrounding metal. Figured I do the grinding at the same time.
    i completely agree, the instructions are crap. I wasted a lot of time installing them. I can't complain too much, after running over an axe on the highway, I'm pretty sure these boards saved my foot. As for the stock break location, I'm fine with it. It took some time to get comfortable but I am now.

Spyder Garage

Default How I feel !

Hi MDBrion,

Re: Wrap-Up...

Good for you. It does look nice.

I'm a DIY'er to the point of stupidity; but always find it nice when a job is finished & and everything actually works.

Jerry Baumchen
    How I feel when I fix stuff ! !
    Attached Images Attached Images
    - George Carlin

Hollywood, Maryland
    2015 F3S, SE-6
    2011 RSS, SE-5

2014 RTL , Black

Spyder Garage

What brake extender pedal are you using?

Spyder Garage

Hi dickgi,

Re: What brake extender pedal are you using?

Here you go: http://www.industrialspecialty.com/i...tm#brakelevers

Jerry Baumchen

2008 GS SE-5

Spyder Garage

That is the #SPY-FB-BL ???

Hi dickgi,

Re: What brake extender pedal are you using?

Here you go: http://www.industrialspecialty.com/i...tm#brakelevers

Jerry Baumchen

Spyder Garage

Hi dickgi,

Re: That is the #SPY-FB-BL ???

Yes, that is the one that I have.

Jerry Baumchen

2008 GS SE-5

Spyder Garage

I have ordered the Rivco CA020-WO but not the brake pedal extension yet. I hope to have it installed in a couple of weeks.

Spyder Garage

Default Brake extender

[QUOTE=MDBrion;1168665]Decided I like the change in riding position and overall feel of the Rivco floorboards. Since I'm keeping them today's project became finalization of the install which entails cutting the OEM brake and installing the brake extender, and refinishing the paint to match the black metallic finish of the RSS surrounding frame structure. Cutting the brake required additional attention to the measurement to ensure full throw of the pedal when the floorboard is installed ( thanks for the tip Jerry !) I wet towels and draped them over the body to protect from metal grinding, and cutoff of the pedal was relatively easy. Next I fitted the new extended pedal into place ensured adequate movement clearance and marke the hole. Hit it with the center punch and drilled to match the hole diameter of the new part. Completed final fit check and brake throw check and cleaned the parts to prep for paint.

Removed the floorboards and taped off the upper isolated base plate. Scuffed the chrome and surrounding manufacturer painted bracket with fine grit sandpaper and cleaned everything with alcohol wipe to prep for paint. Sprayed the chrome and brackets with adhesion promoter and primer. After recommended 30 minute set time a second coat was applied and then painting began after another 5 minutes with the Black Metallic topcoat. Final assembly occurred late in the afternoon and I pleased to say it turned out great. The color match is great and it makes the floorboard appear much more like an OEM part and not a stand out.

.image.jpgWho was your supplier for the brake extender?

Spyder Garage

Hi atticcam,

Re: was your supplier for the brake extender?

See post #14 above.

Jerry Baumchen

2008 GS SE-5