Hybrid View

Spyder Garage

Default Madstad Windshield..You Like it?

Howdy Folks,
    just wondering if anyone has installed The Madstad Adjustable Windshield
    and how you liked it. I'm looking to put one on my 2009 GS. I currently have the touring windshield on it but there is still a ton of buffeting.
    i am about 6 foot 2 inches tall...
    any imput would be GREATLY APPRECIATED before I lay out a few hundred bucks!
    thanks for your time,
    stay warm!
    Old Man Grizz
    "Freezing in Michigan"

Spyder Garage

o put wind deflectors on my rs helped a ton with the wind buffeting and i also have the toring winshield

I switched out side panels to 14 wind deflectors will not fit them.

So i am also interested in Madstad

Have deflectors might be able to work something out

SpyderLovers Sponsor
    Spyder Garage

Default Here to HELP!!!!!

Hi Guys,

This is Jerry with MadStad Eng. The MadStad Adjustable Windshield System is the way to go if you are looking to get rid of the buffeting/wind noise/ turbulence problem.
    A Madstad will place you and your passenger in a calm pocket of air while riding at highway speeds. The Rider support team is always here and willing to help any way they can.
    Most of us here are riders ourselves so we understand the importance of getting rid of that buffeting headache. Feel free to call me on my direct line at 352-848-3056 with any questions/concerns.
    Or email us at support@madstad.com. You can place an order online at http://www.madstad.com/ or by phone. Also remember that we are offering a 15% discount to forum members. Promo code is
    MADSPYDER15

Spyder Garage

I literally just got back from a test ride with a new Madstad windshield. I am 5' 9" tall with a 29 in inseam and have a '15 RS with RT bars and a BRP comfort seat which sits me upright and back 2 inches. I originally tried a 20 in. shield but experienced significant head buffeting at 60 mph and above. I called Madstad and arranged to exchange it for a 22" shield. The exchange process was very straightforward and easy. I have nothing but good things to say about Madstad customer service.

With the new shield the buffeting was significantly reduced - at 60 to 65 I had practically no wind noise. Today wasn't a good day to test because the wind is blowing at 17-20 mph (btw, I'm in Miami and the temp is currently 77). I will need to tweak the height and angle some but I'm confident that the 22 is a keeper.

2015 RS SM5, Navy F4 Fighter wrap
    Passenger Backrest, RT Handlebars,
    BRP Comfort Seat, Airhawk R cushion,
    Garmin 660LM GPS, LidLox, Can-AM Top case

Spyder Garage

Default MADSTAD Windshield

I installed a Madstad on my new F3-S last year. I have really enjoyed it and have no complaints. I love the adjustability of it.
    2020 F3 Ltd

Spyderpops Bumpskid
    Spyderpops Brake/Run/Turn Signal LED's
    Lamonster Garage LED Fog Lights and Headlights
    2013 ST-S retired 1/9/16 at 25,061 miles
    2015 F3S sold at 77,565 miles.
    2015 F3-S , BajaRon Plugs Can-Am Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by GK72Cane View Post
    I literally just got back from a test ride with a new Madstad windshield. I am 5' 9" tall with a 29 in inseam and have a '15 RS with RT bars and a BRP comfort seat which sits me upright and back 2 inches. I originally tried a 20 in. shield but experienced significant head buffeting at 60 mph and above. I called Madstad and arranged to exchange it for a 22" shield. The exchange process was very straightforward and easy. I have nothing but good things to say about Madstad customer service.

With the new shield the buffeting was significantly reduced - at 60 to 65 I had practically no wind noise. Today wasn't a good day to test because the wind is blowing at 17-20 mph (btw, I'm in Miami and the temp is currently 77). I will need to tweak the height and angle some but I'm confident that the 22 is a keeper.
    For someone who is looking for a windshield upgrade this was a very helpful post. I am looking at the Madstad and height is a concern for me. I see the sizes for my height of 6'-1" is the 22".

woukd you happen to have any side pics of your Spyder?
    2014 Spyder RS-S SE5
    Mods:

ST Limited Wheels
    RT Handlebars
    Ultimate Seats ST Midrider
    Lidlox Helmet Lock
    Show Chrome Brake Pedal Extension
    Excelvan X-Grip Cell Phone Holder w/USB Charger
    Much more to come......
    Ryder:
    6'-1" - 205lbs - 32"IS - 34"Reach

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by MadStad Engineering View Post
    Hi Guys,

This is Jerry with MadStad Eng. The MadStad Adjustable Windshield System is the way to go if you are looking to get rid of the buffeting/wind noise/ turbulence problem.
    A Madstad will place you and your passenger in a calm pocket of air while riding at highway speeds. The Rider support team is always here and willing to help any way they can.
    Most of us here are riders ourselves so we understand the importance of getting rid of that buffeting headache. Feel free to call me on my direct line at 352-848-3056 with any questions/concerns.
    Or email us at support@madstad.com. You can place an order online at http://www.madstad.com/ or by phone. Also remember that we are offering a 15% discount to forum members. Promo code is
    MADSPYDER15
    Very helpful post. Thank you for that. I am doing a few comfort mods before my windshield purchase so I make sure I get the right one. I am interested in the color choices. I normally used clear but see you have Light, Medium or Dark Gray. On your website I see two Spyders but am not sure the shade of those shields. Do you or anybody have pics of the different shades mentioned?

EDIT: I am dumbass. I was on my phone and didn't see the other pics with the shades now that I am on a PC.
    Last edited by cmbspyderrss; 08-02-2017 at 09:18 AM.
    2014 Spyder RS-S SE5
    Mods:

ST Limited Wheels
    RT Handlebars
    Ultimate Seats ST Midrider
    Lidlox Helmet Lock
    Show Chrome Brake Pedal Extension
    Excelvan X-Grip Cell Phone Holder w/USB Charger
    Much more to come......
    Ryder:
    6'-1" - 205lbs - 32"IS - 34"Reach

Spyder Garage

Default Madstad windshield

Looking to install this windshield on 2009 SE5 5'11 36 inseam have rivco floorboards

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by r!ot View Post
    Looking to install this windshield on 2009 SE5 5'11 36 inseam have rivco floorboards
    Get it. No question-best available windshield! I love all of mine!!!
    Joe Meyer

Dealer for the Outlaw/ROLO laser Alignment system

Spyder Garage

Hi Old Man Grizz,

Re: anyone has installed The Madstad Adjustable Windshield

I have one on my '08 and am satisfied with it. I am 6 ft with 30" inseam.

Jerry Baumchen
    'I'll never forget what's her name.'

'Things are more like they are now than they ever have been before.' Dwight Eisenhower

2008 GS SE-5

Spyder Garage

2010 RS with adjustable bars so sit upright like a ST/RT.
    6'2" and 34" inseam.
    24" madstad.

Had the touring shield and buffeting (and ear drum popping) was so bad at 60+ I could not sustain speed.

I tried the 22" madstad first but felt it could be better so swapped it for a 24".
    Note: I kept the shield wrapped in plastic during my testing so I could return/exchange.

There are just so many variables to consider, I feel having something adjustable is the only solution.
    Takes some time to find the right spot but just mark the brackets with a paint pen or something to make it easy to find that position again.

Great people to work with also.

Spyder Garage

Default Absolutely YES!

Installed the Madstad last year on my 2015 F3-S.
    After the initial trial/adjust/trial, etc. period (took a few hours) I haven't touched it since.
    LOVE this windshield.
    BTW, I had the OEM Blue Ridge (or, as I like to refer to it, the "head bobber") and hated it...gave me a headache with all of the buffeting. Not so with the Madstad! Some of the best accessory money I ever spent.

(Did I mention that I like it?)
    F3S Steel Black Metallic
    Former owner of '12 RT-S SE-5 and '09 GS SM5

Spyder Garage

Default Madstad windshield

I also am running a 22 inch Madstad; I'm 5'11" 32" inseam. Would strongly suggest the 24" for someone of your stature. However before making the investment might try one of the clamp on upper windshield deflectors to see if it does the trick for you. If not, would definitely by a madstad again. Pleased with it for all 36,000 miles of smiles!!! ~ 60 more days till I can get back out there and ride.
    All the great movements in the world began with a cup of coffee!

2018 F3-T

My mods: Can am Trailer hitch, USB and 12 volt power outlets, Gustason windshield, Bead rider seat cushion, battery harness for electric gear and battery tender, Time out trailer.
    2018 F3-T , Pearl White

Spyder Garage

Default Thanks So Much

I really appreciate all the input👍
    Im going to go with it, and I will let you know how it works out in the Spring!
    Old Man Grizz

Spyder Garage

Default Just Do It!

I purchased the bracket-only kit for my custom fairing, then re-drilled my BRP Touring windshield. The fit is great and it adjusts to your needs. You won't regret it!

SpyderLovers Sponsor Motorcycledave's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default YES !!!

Here is my Spyder, I have had the Madstad on it for almost 3 years, with out doubt the
    best windshield there is hands down. I have been riding over 50 years and have had more
    windshields than I can count on many motorcycles and this is by far the best setup.
    I have the Madstad on other bikes I have and they are simply the best.

IMG_3758.jpgIMG_3753.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Old Man Grizz View Post
    Howdy Folks,
    just wondering if anyone has installed The Madstad Adjustable Windshield
    and how you liked it. I'm looking to put one on my 2009 GS. I currently have the touring windshield on it but there is still a ton of buffeting.
    i am about 6 foot 2 inches tall...
    any imput would be GREATLY APPRECIATED before I lay out a few hundred bucks!
    thanks for your time,
    stay warm!
    Old Man Grizz
    "Freezing in Michigan"