Spyder Garage

Default 2014 RTS 9500 mile maintenance check?

i have around 8800 on my 2014 RTS
    what feedback can you give me on whether i should
    take it into the dealer at 9500 as rec by manual
    and pay $500+ for them to look it over change oil etc?

also what is the range on the tires concerning how many miles i should expect?

David

Very Active Member blacklightning's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by CanAmIamDavid View Post
    i have around 8800 on my 2014 RTS
    what feedback can you give me on whether i should
    take it into the dealer at 9500 as rec by manual
    and pay $500+ for them to look it over change oil etc?

also what is the range on the tires concerning how many miles i should expect?

David
    I took mine to the dealer for it's 12k mile service, and it was about $250. I think the norm is between $250-350.
    2021 RTL , brake pedal from "Web Boards" chalk white

Spyder Garage

There has always been a bit of confusion about service intervals on the 1330 x 3.

Initially, the break in service was 600 miles on the 2 cylinder, but was extended to 3,500 miles on the 3 cylinder. Then the confusion point--the service interval takes place at 9,500 from then (12,500 mile point)--then--once a year, OR, 9,500 miles later. Cost should still be in the $300 range. For most people, once on the 9,500 oil change service interval, you will need about one oil change service year. If you are a high mileage driver--thank you BRP for making the servicing more tolerable.

There has been some discussion of whether or not the 9,500 oil change interval is good or not. IMO: they would not have made it so if it was a bad move. The company tries to cut down on lawsuits--not encourage them. If you do change more frequently, I also look at that as erring on the side of caution.
    Last edited by ARtraveler; 01-10-2017 at 11:55 PM.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

You are probably close on the rear tire if it has not been replaced yet. $500 + for a 9500 mile service is very high. Front tires normaly are good for roughly 20,000 mles if properly cared for .

Cruzr Joe
    2018 F3 Limited, BRP Driver Backrest, Spyderpops Lighted Bump Skid, Dual Spyclops Light, Mirror Turn Signals, Laser Alignment, Engine LEDs, Fog Lights With Halo's, Cushion Handgrips, BRT LEDs, and Under Lighting, Lamonster IPS, (with Clock), F4 25" Vented Windshield with Wings, Airhawk "R" Cushions. Position 4 Brake setting, Short reach Handlebars, Dash Mounted Voltmeter and 12 Volt Plug. Set of 3rd pegs. Extended Passenger Seat. Exterior BRP Connect setup, Ultimate Trailer

Spyder Garage

Default How handy are you....

The manual has what should be done and when. Much of it can be done by the owner. The price they quoted you is high you could shop around for a better deal. The intervals are all over the place. The first is, or was, 3,000 miles and that would make the next, according to oil change specs, 12,000+. I would go by the manual that came with your unit....
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

2014 RT Servicing.jpg
    If you had your break-in service done at 3,000 miles: you've got some time to go...
    (Every 9300 miles... OR one year!)
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Had my 9500 mile checkup done in Dec. Dealer changed the oil, oil filter, checked for software updates, checked air in tires, etc., etc. Took a couple of hours and cost me $285. I bought my 2014 RT in April last year, the dealer had just performed a 9500 mile service, plus replaced the rear tire. I have decided that I can probably perform most of what the dealer does for a whole lot cheaper. I will be doing all of the oil and filter changes from now on. Gives me an excuse to buy a lift!!
    2014 RTL , Gray

Spyder Garage

Thumbs up Put down your wallet and pick up a manual

If your dealer wants $500.00 now, it is definitely time to invest in a manual and the few tools that you will need to start doing your own oil changes. After a bad experience with my dealer, he and I agreed that my RT would never cross his threshold again. It hasn't. The BRP manual will walk you through what you need to know, so invest some money in tools, instead of paying it to your dealer each and every time you go in there. Let them do the warranty work and do the rest yourself.

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Maintance

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Burped View Post
    If your dealer wants $500.00 now, it is definitely time to invest in a manual and the few tools that you will need to start doing your own oil changes. After a bad experience with my dealer, he and I agreed that my RT would never cross his threshold again. It hasn't. The BRP manual will walk you through what you need to know, so invest some money in tools, instead of paying it to your dealer each and every time you go in there. Let them do the warranty work and do the rest yourself.
    ...... None of my 3 Spyders have spent time at the dealers except for warranty work .... The V-twins needed much more attention than the Ace engine ..... and any questions you have will be answered here ....the small investment in tools will re-cooped after the first OIL change alone ........ Mike

Spyder Garage

Default Watch a few videos on taking off the tupperware, and doing an oil change

And once you get comfy with where the Torx30 screws are, how to remove the mirrors and how to pull the plastic pushpin rivets, you'll have a great knowledge and comfort that will allow you to enjoy your bike both on the road and during the off season as you farkle or maintain it. Good Luck! Think I'll enjoy a cup of coffee this morning and leaf through the Ops manual again to see what I forgot
    2015 RT , OEM Black Gloss

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

I'm a new owner of a 2012 RTL....is the service requirements for this engine different than the new engines other than longer intervals between oil changes?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by AeroPilot View Post
    And once you get comfy with where the Torx30 screws are, how to remove the mirrors and how to pull the plastic pushpin rivets, you'll have a great knowledge and comfort that will allow you to enjoy your bike both on the road and during the off season as you farkle or maintain it. Good Luck! Think I'll enjoy a cup of coffee this morning and leaf through the Ops manual again to see what I forgot
    You can get the correct pliers for removing the plastic rivets online or at Harbor Freight. They are $9.99 before a 20% coupon. Look for "Push Pin Pliers".
    2020 RT Limited , Marsala Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by vinsanity666 View Post
    I'm a new owner of a 2012 RTL....is the service requirements for this engine different than the new engines other than longer intervals between oil changes?

Break in service at 650 miles. Then, regular oil changes at 4,500 intervals. Not recommended to do valve check service at 14,000 miles. See other threads for information.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by vinsanity666 View Post

The service intervals are different, if you didn't get an Owners Manual you can download it or view it online at www.can-am.brp.com under the Owners tab.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622