Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kumho Ecsta AST

Spyder Garage

Default Kumho Ecsta AST

I've seen a lot of good reports on this tire in other threads (Kumho Ecsta AST). I see I can get the 225-50-15 from TireRack for $90 shipped. Just want to make sure there are no fitment issues on my 2014 RT SE. I'd hate to get it and take it to a dealer and them tell me it's a little too wide or something like that. Is that the size most of you are using for this tire?

Very Active Member blacklightning's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ramblin5 View Post
    I've seen a lot of good reports on this tire in other threads (Kumho Ecsta AST). I see I can get the 225-50-15 from TireRack for $90 shipped. Just want to make sure there are no fitment issues on my 2014 RT SE. I'd hate to get it and take it to a dealer and them tell me it's a little too wide or something like that. Is that the size most of you are using for this tire?
    That is the size and tire that I installed on my 2014 RT. It works great and has about 1/2 thread left (or more) after 11k miles. The original was done after less than 8k.
    2021 RTL , brake pedal from "Web Boards" chalk white

Spyder Garage

Default Fits fine and will double the wear life just check with your dealer

to see if they will install a car tire. Some dealers apparently will not install which is their perogative, so you may need to pull the wheel and take it to a tire shop to have them install it. Just takes a little time and tools to do, depending on your resources and desire to learn about your bike. Removing the rear wheel is covered on a couple of You tube videos just do a search. Pleased with the last 4 we've put on...last two on the 15 RTSE.
    2015 RT , OEM Black Gloss

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by blacklightning View Post
    That is the size and tire that I installed on my 2014 RT. It works great and has about 1/2 thread left (or more) after 11k miles. The original was done after less than 8k.
    It fits perfectly...
    But check to make sure that your dealer is willing to install it on your bike.
    (Some of them are a bit finicky about doing it... )
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Default KUMHO

YOU CAN'T GO WRONG WITH KUMHO'S.....
    I'VE BURNED UP 5 OF THEM, ON MY 6th NOW....
    JUST GET'n REALLY HARD TO FIND THESE THINGS... I JUST BOUGHT A MICHILEN HYDROEDGE, AND HOPEFULLY IT WILL SERVE ME AS WELL AS ALL THOSE KUMHOS.....
    DAN P
    SPYD3R

Spyder Garage

Default Tire reply

I have used these tires and in my opinion are no better than junk Kendas.Got 6200 miles on rear.
    I run a General Altimax 215-60-15.These tires are superior from OEM kendas. Just my opinion.

Buckeye Chuck

Spyder Garage

Default 225x50 x15

The only problem I found was puting the wheel back on, it would not go until I let all the air out. If you have fender braces rubbing loosin the mount and put washers on the bolts between brace and mount point. Then all is good.......

Spyder Garage

Default Manxman, are you referring to a front tire and some other size or bike?

Quote Originally Posted by manxman View Post
    The only problem I found was puting the wheel back on, it would not go until I let all the air out. If you have fender braces rubbing loosin the mount and put washers on the bolts between brace and mount point. Then all is good.......
    Looks like Ramblin has the RT, and have I used this OEM Size Kumho Ecsta AST on 2011, 2014, 2015 RTs with no problem... no rear fender braces.. ??

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

The Kumho is available in the stock tire size so why would anyone have trouble fitting it on their Spyder?
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderAnn01 View Post
    The Kumho is available in the stock tire size so why would anyone have trouble fitting it on their Spyder?
    The "stock" labelled sizes vary, Ann, depending on how the manufacturer labels the tyres. Some 225s are actually wider than others when you run a tape measure across them.
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited
    Setup for Tall & Big.... 200cm/6'7", 140kg/300lbs, 37"inleg.

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Ikon (Aussie) shocks all round.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Goodyear Duragrip 165/60 fronts (18psi) - provides extra 1/2” ground clearance.
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Had a service tech tell me the stock tire is recommended by can am. I was told the tread pattern is specific for the three wheel configuration. He claims the kumho gives up traction for longevity. I think he's full of ****...anyone else have an opinion on this tire issue?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Spyder Garage

Default Oh we've got lots of opinions about tires, oil, and other things

Quote Originally Posted by vinsanity666 View Post
    Had a service tech tell me the stock tire is recommended by can am. I was told the tread pattern is specific for the three wheel configuration. He claims the kumho gives up traction for longevity. I think he's full of ****...anyone else have an opinion on this tire issue?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    I would agree with the tech that CanAm recommends the OEM Kendas (I don't recall the dealer or CanAm telling me that another tire was "better"). After wearing out the rear OEM tires on three different RT's, including one of the softer compound Kendas at around 8,000 miles, I tried the Kumho car tire, and a Michelin and had 3X the wear longevity with good ride, and acceptable grip for my type of riding and roads that I like to ride. After 4 more Kumhos, I like the ride and fact that I can roll for 20-30,000 miles on the Kumhos with about $120 and two hours time spent. JMO.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

I put one on my 2014rts work grt...i even run recommended tire inflation on tire. ..less rear end shifting. From the road...i got same place and price...i took it off my self and took it to harley dealer and had them mount it

Sent from my LGLS675 using Tapatalk

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default TIRE INFLATION

Quote Originally Posted by amelectricdavid View Post
    I put one on my 2014rts work grt...i even run recommended tire inflation on tire. ..less rear end shifting. From the road...i got same place and price...i took it off my self and took it to harley dealer and had them mount it

" recommended tire inflation " ??? .... recommended by who ??? ..... and that number is ????? ...... Thanks , Mike

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    " recommended tire inflation " ??? .... recommended by who ??? ..... and that number is ????? ...... Thanks , Mike
    I suppose that we'd have to assume that he's following the suggested tire pressures that are in the owner's manual...

Front tires 138 kPa ± 14 kPa
    (20 PSI ± 2 PSI)
    Rear tires 193 kPa ± 14 kPa
    (28 PSI ± 2 PSI)

...Which were meant to be used for the OEM tire.

Spyder Garage

The original Kenda was gone before 5k. I've had the Kuhmo on my STS for 7k miles. I ride fairly hard and have had no complaints about traction and it shows little wear. I run it at 28 psi. It will be a little slippery the first twenty miles or so. I bought a spare for my F3S for replacement.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Papa Smurf View Post
    The original Kenda was gone before 5k. I've had the Kuhmo on my STS for 7k miles. I ride fairly hard and have had no complaints about traction and it shows little wear. I run it at 28 psi. It will be a little slippery the first twenty miles or so. I bought a spare for my F3S for replacement.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I use the tire pressure on the tire. ..

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I use the tire pressure on the tire. ..
    Now you've got us REALLY curious: exactly how many psi did you put in the tire??
    (They normally put a maximum tire pressure on the sidewall. It's about what you would use to seat the bead on a rim...)

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    Now you've got us REALLY curious: exactly how many psi did you put in the tire??
    (They normally put a maximum tire pressure on the sidewall. It's about what you would use to seat the bead on a rim...)
    Ive heard this before. Ur car tire written 32psi max pressure. So u fill to 32...my bike tire written 51psi so i fill it...let me know when u run ur car at 16 psi and tell me how it feels...lol...i like the fell of a fuller tire...a little rougher on slower roads...but so much better on freeways...the trade is worth it...i also run my front stock tires 8lbs over also😊😊😊

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Whatever makes you happy...
    I run 24 psi in the rear Kumho, and 21 psi in the Kendas up front.

But I may try 22 psi out back... Just to see how it feels!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    Whatever makes you happy...
    I run 24 psi in the rear Kumho, and 21 psi in the Kendas up front.

But I may try 22 psi out back... Just to see how it feels!
    I just went to 22 on the F3-L, Bob, with my 300+ lbs aboard, and it does feel a little more planted to me than the 24 I was running........but don't tell Mike, he'll get a swelled head
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited
    Setup for Tall & Big.... 200cm/6'7", 140kg/300lbs, 37"inleg.

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Ikon (Aussie) shocks all round.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Goodyear Duragrip 165/60 fronts (18psi) - provides extra 1/2” ground clearance.
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default TIRE PRESSURE THAT FEELS

Ive heard this before. Ur car tire written 32psi max pressure. So u fill to 32...my bike tire written 51psi so i fill it...let me know when u run ur car at 16 psi and tell me how it feels...lol...i like the fell of a fuller tire...a little rougher on slower roads...but so much better on freeways...the trade is worth it...i also run my front stock tires 8lbs over also������

David - when your Spyder slides into a ditch because it had no traction in the RAIN - let us know how that felt .... Mike
    Last edited by BLUEKNIGHT911; 02-06-2017 at 11:21 AM.

Spyder Garage

I dunno that I'd bother Mike, it seems that some people just don't want to understand that the MAX pressure printed on the sidewall is ONLY intended to be used for those times when the tires are carrying the MAX load that's printed right alongside!! And the concept that the rest of the time, when the tire is carrying somewhat LESS load than its maximum rated limit, you are meant to run a similarly proportionally LOWER pressure is totally beyond their grasp!!

You just gotta wonder why they don't always ryde around at the MAX SPEED the tire is rated at too - afterall, it's printed on the sidewall, so according to their ideas on what pressure to run, surely that must be the speed you are meant to ride at all the time too!!
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 02-04-2017 at 10:17 PM.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Thank u all

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Peteoz View Post
    I just went to 22 on the F3-L, Bob, with my 300+ lbs aboard, and it does feel a little more planted to me than the 24 I was running........but don't tell Mike, he'll get a swelled head
    You're too late...

PotatoHead-large.jpg