Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ingramwc View Post
    Here's climate change to think about... Polar ice cap up North is decreasing; polar ice cap down at the South end is increasing faster than the other is decreasing!!!
    Also, NOAA has decreased its global reporting stations by more than 50%!!! Convenient????
    As the ocean currents slow down, as they're doing now, they cause the Arctic to warm up and Antarctica to cool down, thus fueling the notion that Global Warming is bunk. But let's remember, that term is a misnomer. The term Climate Change is not.

Even so, however, the National Snow and Ice Center recently reported that, "For the year 2016, sea ice extent in both polar regions was at levels well below what is typical of the past several decades."

I suspect any closing down of NOAA's data collection stations is either due to budget cuts or that some data has proven to be so consistent that collecting redundant results was no longer warranted.

2015 Sypder RT-S SE6
    2016 Polaris Sportsman 570 ATV
    2003 F250 SuperDuty
    American Saddlebred Horses

Spyder Garage

Don't forget he invented the Internet........

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by wd8ajj View Post
    Poor Al! He never said that (http://www.snopes.com/quotes/internet.asp) ... but the Internet is gonna kill us long before climate change does!

2015 Sypder RT-S SE6
    2003 F250 SuperDuty

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by wd8ajj View Post
    Please read the next paragraph, so that you and others don't keep speaking untruths, unless you were just trying to be comical

"Let's get the obvious joke out of the way: It wasn't Al Gore who invented the Internet. In fact, Mr. Gore never really claimed to have done so. In a 1999 interview with CNN's Wolf Blitzer, the then-vice president said that he had taken the initiative in creating the Internet, meaning that as a politician he had supported the computer scientists, programmers and engineers who built the global network through legislation."

Lifted this from science, how stuff works

Spyder Garage

Now I'm NOT saying that Climate Change isn't something we are going to have to come to terms with & learn how to live with; but presenting 'snapshots' of evidence like that above can sometimes be extremely misleading, & (definitely not saying this is going on here!!) they can even be selectively chosen to support whichever particular argument an unscrupulous operator may want to push!! You've really got to take a long term view, especially when it comes to matters of planetary weather patterns & the short term peaks & troughs that occur over the millennia of continual changes our Planet & Sun must experience!

So I won't bother to add any more graphs or charts to contribute to the confusion, but if you care to delve deeper & have a look for yourselves, you'll discover that right now, & in fact for most of Mankind's so called 'Industrial Age', the planet we live on has been going thru a (fairly short on a geological scale) period of having the LOWEST LEVELS of CO2 that it's ever had!! Back a couple of thousand years or so, CO2 levels were somewhat higher - go back even further & they were even higher again, & not just by a little bit either!! In fact IIRC, for most of the time that Mankind has been active on this planet, CO2 levels in the atmosphere have been significantly HIGHER than they are now & even higher than the highest levels they are expected to reach in the next century, even if we continue contributing to that rise at the current rate!!

Yet those significantly higher levels of CO2 in the atmosphere are the levels that were present during Mankind's rise to 'intelligence'?!? And arguably, as we look at the peaks & troughs that have occurred over the relatively short time we've been around, the smaller rises & subsequent higher peaks that we've seen along the way were often part of what created the conditions that enabled each of Mankind's 'Great Leaps Forwards' - the lower dips also often coinciding with the fall of whichever current civilisation was ascendant at the time; ie, the last Mini Ice Age, the Dark Ages etc, & the many similar short term downturns that have occurred in the steady rise of Mankind from insignificance to whatever we may be now!!

Sooo, are the current generally LOW levels of CO2 we've been experiencing just heralding the fall of civilisation as we know it (just who did you vote for??); or are the very recent increases we've seen really just the precursor of Mankind's Next Great Leap Forwards??

Personally, I don't know, (dunno who it was you voted for either?! ) but I'll put some more thought to it later - right now, I'm gonna get the Spyder out & go for a ryde!

Quote Originally Posted by IdahoMtnSpyder View Post
    I'm guessing that the CO2 levels the past 60 years have been measured directly in the air. The readings from thousands of years ago were taken from ice core samples. Do we know, and with what certainty, how direct readings correlate with the ice readings?

hmmmmm, your guessing? and the report I linked to after you read it. And your guessing still, like in a hunch, a really good, no great guess?
    Ok so be it. Everyone is entitled to their opinion. But heck on the outside chance that all 22,670 spyderlover members combined came to the same conclusion as you, just remember the report I referred to was prepared by a team at CALTECH and JPL. That's California Institute of Technology and the Jet Propulsion Laboratory where my father happened to work for. I will still promote their findings rather than others guesses

Spyder Garage

Default Call it what you like

I'm no expert I just observe like many of you. What I have seen over my 65 years of my life is that things have changed faster in the last fifteen years of my life than in the first fifty. One thing I notice is large pine trees are dying off faster because our winters aren't cold enough to keep the pine beetle in check more beetles less pine trees. I see this every year on property we own and state parks we visit. Since we bought our property we have taken down several large pines that looked healthy when we purchased the place and have died because of the pine beetles. lots of people complained when the incandesant was taken off the shelves and we had to change to floursent and LED I even had a neighbor that went and bought several cases of bulbs because the government was wrong to tell him what light bulb to use he didn't realize that the electricity he saved using the high efficiency bulbs would save him more than it cost him to replace them. Even if you don't believe in climate change look at what you've saved on electric, the amount of dollars you saved driving more efficient cars, heating your house with a furnace that is ninety percent efficient or better. Just think of millions of cubic feet of natural gas that has been save by eliminating the standing pilot on gas appliances and that also saved you money. Anything we can do to improve the efficiency of everything that uses any form of energy cleans up the air that we breath, saves our natural resources and in the long run puts money back into your pocket. I for one like the LED bulbs and until some determines they are deadly to my health or cause me to grow horns or some other myth I am glad I don't have to give big power any more money than I have to. Darn I cut into the profits of the gas company by putting new windows in the house I wasn't thinking of their stock holders they have to eat to. Progress means more jobs. Oh for I do rant to much my wife calls it preaching call it what you will

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    Everybody dies eventually: why worry about what will happen in a thousand years...

...or even a hundred?
    So far as we know, everybody dies, however many believe in reincarnation, so for them I suppose what's a 100 years or more, they will keep coming back

If you have children Bob, then wanting to leave the planet you inhabit in as good of a condition or better than when you were born is the plan. That way Bob Denman IV will be able to go back and research about that 3 wheel contraption you use to ride.

When you tell someone you will keep them in your thoughts and prayers, do you specify a time limit, or is it forever? And what is Forever??
    So what if you lived forever Bob, would you throw out the trash?

You used the word worry, don't believe the scientists were worried, just that there is an alternative still available for corrective action towards climate change.

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by TicketBait View Post
    So far as we know, everybody dies, however many believe in reincarnation, so for them I suppose what's a 100 years or more, they will keep coming back
    The light one sees as they are slipping away from this earthly existence just may be the overhead light in the delivery room as they are being born in a new body!!

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Ya don't think the our class M variable star has anything to do with it???
    Within the past year or so I saw and (casually) read a news item about a study by Russian scientists that addressed that thought, that very question.

There is a known "wobble" in Earth's orbit around the Sun; this wobble causes the distance of AU to vary slightly, but not in any time frame commensurate with the Earth year. The Russian study compared the long-term historical variations in global temperatures to our relative distances from the Sun over the same periods of time. Aaaaaaannnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnndddddddddddddd.... guess what?

BINGO!!

But the Russians are currently persona-non-grata in this country, so the report was pooh-poohed by.... guess who?
    NEW - 2015 RT Limited SE6 Intense Red Pearl - 07/21/15
    Retained the old mirrors with TricLed Signals
    General Altimax RT43 rear tire (at...17,000 miles) Ran for 36,500 miles
    Michelin Defender.......rear tire (at...53,500 miles) Ran for 60,700 miles
    Riken Raptor HR.........rear tire (at 114,200 miles)
    Vredestein Quatrac 5 front tires (at 70,500 miles, first new fronts!)
    Gear Brake Decelerometer Module

OLD - 2012 RT Limited SE5 Pearl White - 01/31/13 - Traded in at 32,600 miles.
    BajaRon Anti-sway Bar
    Kumho ECSTA AST rear tire (at 14,200 miles)
    TricLed Turn Signals in Mirrors
    2015 Limited , Intense Red Pearl

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by missouriboy View Post

But the Russians are currently persona-non-grata in this country .....
    OOOOOOOOH, I want to quip about the climate change that's about to happen THERE soooooo badly, but I don't want to be guilty of morphing this scientific discussion into a political one!

So I'll just say that their findings actually sound pretty interesting, but even if the timing coincides, the speed and extent of current changes is hugely greater than any cycle before man"kind".

2015 Sypder RT-S SE6
    2003 F250 SuperDuty

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by flaggerphil View Post
    1. Why are people discussing politics?

2. Why are people discussing politics on this particular forum?

3. See number 1.
    Phil,
    Nobody is discussing Politics; we're just discussing the weather... loudly!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

I don't really care where Al Gore is.......as long as he is NOT back out here . Every time you turned the TV on when he was last out here, he was looking at you.....and if he wasn't looking at you, he was being quoted in an article somewhere. I'm sure he even had his own cooking show, but my memory might be deceiving me on that one.

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited
    Setup for Tall & Big.... 200cm/6'7", 140kg/300lbs, 37"inleg.

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Ikon (Aussie) shocks all round.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Goodyear Duragrip 165/60 fronts (18psi) - provides extra 1/2” ground clearance.
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Spyder Garage

Politicians are the only people on earth that know the facts and will deny them to get reelected.

Spyder Garage

The state parks in Indiana were carved from the glaciers in the ice age.
    Then AL Gore (who is an alien) came & melted them with phaser blasters.
    All so he could come back thousands of years later and blame it on cow farts.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-T337A using Tapatalk

Spyder Garage

Also has anyone heard of crate to a (sp) a volcano that spewed more pollution than we have even come close to.
    Come on & think it through.
    I love nature & our planet but I do not trust dumb @$#& who have insidious motives

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-T337A using Tapatalk

SpyderLovers Sponsor Motorcycledave's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Hey give me a stick, rack them up and pass the beer

QUOTE=BUZZARD II;1216040]Normally in the winter I would just plug in my electric vest, pull on the Aerostich and go ride. Last night it was 9 degrees in Virginia. It's 15 now and I'm heading for the basement to shoot some pool, drink some Guinness and listen to Blues. A man has to know his limitations.[/QUOTE]

Spyder Garage

Every one knows that the land bridges that used to connect various parts of The Earth (God rest her soul) had toll booths! The prices went up and up!
    Enough is enough says the migrating animals & a few magnus humanoids.
    They went on protest and quit using the land & ice bridges.
    What is my point?
    As a good old group led by Mr. Argent the Song says God gave Rock & Roll to you!
    So the music started!
    But Lucifer fell to earth with 1/3 of the Angels.
    That melted the Ice Dam (Damned Ice) and so the Stones came forth with I know its only RR but I like it.
    Al had Paul Simon write a song you can call me Al.
    If you play it back words you might ruin your turntable.
    Ah if we could just turn back the Hands of Time.
    Thank you

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Very Active Member Buckeye Bleau's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ruralgirl View Post
    Poor Al! He never said that (http://www.snopes.com/quotes/internet.asp) ... but the Internet is gonna kill us long before climate change does!
    Well, I am not sure how I could be misreading this, but here is the quote from your source, where they claim he never said he invented the Internet.

"During my service in the United States Congress, I took the initiative in creating the Internet. I took the initiative in moving forward a whole range of initiatives that have proven to be important to our country's economic growth and environmental protection, improvements in our educational system."

But hey what do I know i am one of the knuckle dragging deplorables.
    I am only observing the facts as you presented them to me.

Joe
    U.S. Army Viet Nam Era Vet
    2013 Spyder RT-L, Black Currant
    Trunk mount dual SS flag holder
    TricLed foam hand grips (awesome)
    Chromed Soaring Eagle License Holder
    Utopia Deluxe driver backrest
    LED fender lighting
    Fast Flash LED brake light
    Spyder Pops LED/skid plate

Spyder Garage

Exclamation Feet of snow -- not inches

The Mt. Rose ski resort has had 460 inches of snow this season( Yes, that's 38' 4" ) I personally ( and all my neighbors ) have had over 7 feet this year. Another 8-10 just last night, and that much the day before. I'll spend 2.5 hours with the snow blower and shovels today. Some folks here are having problems with heater vents being covered with snow, plows leaving berms that have to be removed with skip loaders, no mail or garbage service, no place to put the snow while removing it.

Oh-- we'll survive just fine but please don't tell me that this is caused by Global Warming

Kaos
    Kaos----- Gone but not forgotten.

2014 RTS in Circuit Yellow, farkle-ing addiction down to once every few months. ECU FLASH IS GREAT.
    2014 RTS , Circuit Yellow

Spyder Garage

Default Think

Don't confuse politics with science. Polluting the atmosphere is not a good idea regardless of "global warming". Look at some of the Chinese cities where one can barely breath. Don't tease the bear!

Spyder Garage

So sad to see so many science deniers on the subject of climate change.... which is not the same as weather. Then again many still deny the scientific fact of evolution.
    This fact-free world we now live in is kinda scary.....
    It's no wonder American kids are so behind in science.....

I think keeping the planet clean is good regardless.. because you know.. clean air and water are kinda nice.

Just remember... there is no planet B .... yet.

Spyder #1 - 2008 GS SM5 Premier Edition #1977. RIP after 80,000 miles.
    Spyder #2 - 2012 RT SM5. Traded in after 24,000 miles.
    Spyder #3 - 2015 F3 SM6. Put 13,000 miles on and sold it.
    Spyder #4 - 2017 F3 SM6. Too good of a deal to pass up!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I think that I actually believe that George Carlin got it right!
    (CAUTION: typical Carlin language... )

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Why get wrapped around the axle about all this environmental stuff? After all, Mother Nature is going to win in the end! Probably the best we can do is delay the eventual demise of humankind by a few hundred or few thousand years.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

All I can think of is all the money wasted to educate these people and all their research is wrong. I know there was a time when we emptied raw sewage and industrial waste into rivers and streams and some scientist said it was poisoning us and now doubts that it is true now but at the time a good portion of the population didn't believe that science. I choose Science.