Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Riding On Wet Surfaces

I'm under 150 miles as a Spyder owner and was wondering how well the Spyder handles on wet surfaces. For sake of my "broad question," I'm talking about riding on improved, level roads during conventional precipitation (e.g. not a down pour, but a "normal" rainfall).

If so inclined, comment on other types of precipitation as well (during and after).

I thought about going out to a nearby parking lot (with approval, and all of the safety related issues addressed) following a conventional rain and just practice stopping and swerving. No, I haven't completed the Spyder recommended training (per the manual). What I have been doing is riding short distances on the backroads where I live (little to no traffic, but plenty of curves and straight roads; no traffic lights).

Thanks to all in advance.

Jack
    2015 F3S SE6

2015 F3S SE6 , CanAm Red

Spyder Garage

Default SAFETY

SAFETY FIRST.....
    our SPYD3Rs have relatively no issues on damp to water running on the road surfaces... keep your speed down, and be aware that a lot of throttle is NOT A GOOD IDEA... you need to TEST yourself... during rain, find an empty parking lot, and play with your new toy... you'll soon find out that these will hydro-plane and the rear tire WILL break loose.... keep in mind that there is not a lot of weight back there...
    learn about your ride, and enjoy it...
    Dan P
    SPYD3R

Spyder Garage

Default Agree...

now-a-days tires come into play. Many have changed to other brands. I do ryde Kendas and they do well. Just give it time for the rain to wash off the surface goop before you get to going to fast. Really same safety you use in your car with the added fact you are out there.... getting rained on....
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Default Secret to riding in the rain, OR snow...

As we are into our second significant snowfall of the season and as eloquently conveyed by Trooper Lewis, the Secret to driving on slick roads..

https://www.facebook.com/ColoradoSta...6355953072229/
    2015 RT , OEM Black Gloss

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SPYD3R View Post
    SAFETY FIRST.....
    our YD3Rs have relatively no issues on damp to water running on the road surfaces... keep your speed down, and be aware that a lot of throttle is NOT A GOOD IDEA... you need to TEST yourself... during rain, find an empty parking lot, and play with your new toy... you'll soon find out that these will hydro-plane and the rear tire WILL break loose.... keep in mind that there is not a lot of weight back there...
    learn about your ride, and enjoy it...
    Dan P
    SPYD3R
    Amen on hydroplane! However, one must learn to ryde on wet roads. Take it slow and easy. I rode half way across Tennessee last May. And today I rode on snow packed roads. Lit all the lights and went to limp mode!
    Nanny may never speak to me again. And fore ya'll start, I did not ryde on a salty road.
    If I can't fix it, I will fix it so no one can fix it. Sypder Loco!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by AeroPilot View Post
    As we are into our second significant snowfall of the season and as eloquently conveyed by Trooper Lewis, the Secret to driving on slick roads..

Loved the video; shared in on my FB page. THANKS.
    2015 F3S SE6

2015 F3S SE6 , CanAm Red

Spyder Garage

With the stock Kendas you will hydroplane the rear. Done it many times... even a couple on purpose. Sypder is fairly predictable when hydroplaning the rear as long as the fronts stay planted. I've only had one very bad experience hitting some standing water at speed and got lucky... But without having done it many times before, I might have done something in a panic and been unlucky.

I've also had the fronts hydroplane which is more of a consider. You get different feedback from the spyder when that happens.

Since I made the switch years ago to quality car tires, I haven't hydroplaned at all under the same conditions.

As for wet traction, your tires will dictate that. Some feel a bit greasy on wet roads when starting from a dead stop and you can spin them up easily. The one I have now is perhaps the best tire I've had (not made anymore) and it sticks really well even in wet conditions.

So... As someone who has done a lot of spyder riding in the rain and some bad storms at that, the Spyder handles it pretty much like any other vehicle. You can vastly improve on that by changing out the Kendas when they are ready to be replaced with some cars tires that are good tires (some people buy the car tires as they are cheaper - I suggest you buy the right tire which may be only $20 more). Ride or drive your spyder with the same wet weather caution you would your car and you'll be fine.
    WackyDan - Fun, not crazy.
    Charlotte (Matthews), NC
    Silver Moon SM5 - V35 and V46 Givis, CHAD, Motolight 35w steering lights, Dash Powerlets, Helibar risers, Garage door opener, Eastern Beaver PC-8, Digital voltmeter, Kewl Metal Intake, Evoluzione Sway Bar, RT Shocks and Juice Box PRO.
    *Mower deck in development*
    2008 model -new in crate, April 09
    26,000 miles.

Looking for other Charlotte area riders to cruise with and compare Spyders.

HAPPY SPYDER OWNER

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default WET ROADS

If you now have car tires .... I highly recommend 21 psi ( cold )(For rear tire ) .... Car tires are meant to carry a much heavier load and rated as such .... So to get the SIPES to work at their optimum this lower pressure is necessary .... Mike

Very Active Member blacklightning's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Deer Slayer View Post
    And today I rode on snow packed roads. Lit all the lights and went to limp mode!
    Nanny may never speak to me again. And fore ya'll start, I did not ryde on a salty road.
    You need to live closer to me. I posted on my local facebook spyder group about riding today, but no one took me up on the idea.
    But really, the salt is already down in my area, and I wouldn't do that to my baby.
    2021 RTL , brake pedal from "Web Boards" chalk white

Spyder Garage

LOL
    As soon as he said "secret" I knew ....

Spyder Garage

The "hidden truth" is revealed here
    Very Happy Spyder Owner

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Rain happens...
    Just slow down, and you'll be fine!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Don't be shocked when, if you hydroplane unexpectedly, you feel and see cruise control suddenly disengage. Nanny is quick to turn of CC when the tires start slipping around or spinning loosely.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

With a passenger on Ive went through quite a bit of all types of rain & wind. Pretty impressed with the rt! Even better since yokahama s drive rear tyre.
    Rode wings & lots of HD before that. Wind & rain not even close to feeling as safe.
    But I love em all

I love R&R put another dime in the jukebox baby!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I see that a lot of folks are cautioning you strongly about the potential for hydroplaning...
    IF YOU SIMPLY SLOW DOWN: nothing bad will happen to you.

It's that simple!

There's virtually no vehicle and tire combination, that is 100% guaranteed to never "walk on water"...
    You just have to do your part.

Spyder Garage

Did anyone else notice that the image in the video was reversed? Look at his left side - right side on your screen - and you can see that his name tag "Lewis" is reversed.
    "A Wise Man Once Said, I Should Ask My Wife."
    2017 Champagne Metallic RT-S SE-6 Rivco Dual Flag Holders; Slingmods Highway Pegs; (Hate Them) Airhawk Seat Cushion; Show Chrome Black Touring Rack w/ Risers & Touring Windshield; RAM X Mount For TXTAG; TackForm Phone Mount; Lidlox; Magic Mirror Mounts; Guardian Bells; WOLO "Bad Boy" Air Horn; Dual USB Power Outlet With Voltmeter; 12V outlet for misc. stuff; Spyderpops Full View Mirror Turn Signals; Large Brake Pedal; Kott Grilles; Large Mud Flap; BajaRon 3 Piece Sway Bar, Last But Not Least, Kuhmo Rear Rire, Vedrestien Fronts.
    2017 RT-S , Brake pedal extender is twice the size of the stock pedal. Champagne Metallic

Spyder Garage

Default Something else to consider...

Yes, I've experienced hydroplaning....simple solution...slooooow down. But I have also discovered that road surfaces can contribute to hydroplaning....for example WYOMING roads are realllllly slick....many times I'm on WY rainy roads and slowed down...cross onto Montana roads and no issue can kick the throttle up. So for me I never put all my eggs in one basket...If it's raining...after I gear up (delicate flower that I am!! )...I get a feel for the road surface...but only on rare occasions am I in such a rush that I'm not willing to slow to the conditions. Having ryding even when it is raining. Remember the show SINGING IN THE RAIN? I take on that attitude...
    My Motto Is:
    Live my life in such a way that when my feet hit the floor in the morning...Satan shudders & says "Oh, crap, SHE'S awake!"

Red Stallion: 2016 F3t SE6 (from Pitbull PowerSports/ Springfield, MO)
    White Knight: 2014 RTS SE6 and matching 622 trailer (from Pitbull
    PowerSports/ Springfield, MO)
    Ms Spydee: 2010 RT SE5

Very Active Member cognaccruiser's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Hydroplaning can happen and speed will be a one big factor in determining that BUT I don't think you should become paranoid about it. If I was not experienced on riding the Spyder and other 2 wheeled touring bikes and read this thread, I might get overly concerned.
    Yes, slow down some and get a feel for your Spyder in the rain but don't be terrified that at any moment you might start to hydroplane cause you won't enjoy your ryde very much. Just take it easy.
    There are things that can be factored in. The amount of tread on your tires have can factor into it so if you are on new tires you will be a little less likely than on older worn tires regardless of the brand.
    Particularly in areas that don't get much rain or after any prolonged dry spell, the roads will get a coating of dust and oil/grease. If the rain is light and/or has just started, these roads will be far worse than after it has rained for a while and the oily coating has washed off so keep that in mind.
    Watch out for standing water and puddles. Hitting those too fast can cause problems so if you see that coming ease off the throttle and try to slow a little if you can.
    Another thing is that because our Spyders have 3 tracks instead of 1 for bikes and 2 for other vehicles you are constantly dealing with watching all 3 but that usually means that your rear wheel is on a bit of a center crown. That crown is usually the oiliest. Many roads end up with ruts caused by 2 track traffic and that is where your 2 front tires will be and they can, if deep enough, collect water. I usually in rain try to move just a little right or left of the tracks to avoid the heaviest pooling. I don't obsess over any of this but just try to make it a little less likely to have a problem.
    Mostly just do what you are doing and get experience in the rain. It has never stopped most of us from our travels.
    Enjoy your new Spyder.

Gary
    States visited by Bike

Spyder Garage

I had made 1 long trip in the rain and got caught in 1 downpour that I wasn't expecting (got drenched before I could find a place to stop and get out the rain gear lol)

My RS handled better than I expected. If you slow down and watch what you're doing you'll be fine.

Try to get your gear on before it rains though lol

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Keep your "eyes on the skies".

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Spyder Garage

Default I have skidded tires on two wheels

and I have been afraid to get "down" on the brakes on wet and slick roadways. So far the Spyder has given me better confidence in wet conditions, and I am glad to have nanny there to keep me in line should one of the three wheels start slipping and not equal the others' rpms. I've usually felt this when the lane tracks start filling with water on older "furrowed" roads, and just another reminder to SLOW down. Overall, the driver protection from the elements and nanny along with the three wheels makes for a better ryde even in the rain!
    2015 RT , OEM Black Gloss

Spyder Garage

Default Thanks!

I really appreciate all the good advice. The overall agreement was SLOW DOWN and that's what I'll do.

Thanks again!

Jack
    2015 F3S SE6

2015 F3S SE6 , CanAm Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by 9tda1dr View Post
    I really appreciate all the good advice. The overall agreement was SLOW DOWN and that's what I'll do.

Thanks again!

Jack

and don't forget to wave to all the two wheelers who are pulled over and waiting for the rain to quit ..
    2015 RT Limited Intense Red Pearl

Spyder Garage

The Spyder will hydroplane--if you open up the proper gateways. There is at least a half page in the manual giving all the warnings including not to operate the Spyder in snow conditions.

Driving through any standing water in inch deep or more and at a speed of over 50 mph will both kick it in. I have had this happen to me twice in 130,000 miles. Nanny, saved my bacon both times. It was a big wake up when it happened on the highway at 65 mph for the first time.

Alaska is one of the few states that allows the use of studded tires. The downside is that they cut channels in the asphalt and the whole highway needs to be re-paved every three years or so or the channels fill will rain every time it happens. With major budgetary issues this last season--there was very little repaving.
    Last edited by ARtraveler; 01-13-2017 at 03:35 PM.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red