Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Very Active Member OverHillAndDale's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default My seat's stuck - new twist

Since it's too cold to clean my garage today I decided to install my Doc Humphrey's adapter and belt tensioner. Step 1 - raise your seat.

Well, the key wouldn't START to budge to release the seat. I twisted as hard as I dared while pushing the seat to the left, right, forward, back, lifting, pressing down etc. No good.

I read all the forum entries on releasing a stuck seat, and eventually managed to get where I could see the cable and latch. Still no good - pressing with a screwdriver with all the might I dared use the latch wouldn't budge. I even managed to get the screwdriver on the latch itself (not on the cable) and still it wouldn't start to budge.

I lifted the front of the seat with ratchet straps as far as I could and I can see the bold that holds the seat to the latch, but with only 3/4 of and inch or so working space I can't figure out a way to cut the bolt. I used the straps to put more pressure on the latch/bolt hoping something would break free but I stopped after a point because I didn't want to damage the seat. I bent a coat hanger tip into a hook and got it around the bolt, but .. couldn't figure out what was next. Jiggling the bolt with the coat hanger did nothing.

Any brilliant ideas? Any kind of a tool that can cut steel in a tiny place? (my working space is 3/4 wide, about 6 inches inside between the bike and seat). A dremmel won't fit in that space, and the bit would come in at the wrong angle.
    2020- RT Limited
    Chalk White, Can-Am rear passenger armrests, Comfort Seat, Grip puppies, RAM Cup Holders, Providence RAM Mount
    FOBO2 TPMS
    Aluma MCTXL trailer
    BRP hitch
    Big Bike Parts wiring harness
    Permanent Smile!!!

Spyder Garage

What about a sawzall with a steel cutting blade?
    Or just buy the blade and use a visegrip on the end and cut by hand.
    Last edited by beefybudds; 01-07-2017 at 02:48 PM.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by beefybudds View Post
    What about a sawzall with a steel cutting blade?
    Or just buy the blade and use a visegrip on the end and cut by hand.
    Well, great minds must think alike because I just tried that, then came in a saw your suggestion. And, it worked.

I wrapped the sawsall in a rag so I wouldn't damage the paint, but I still have one spot that will need touching up. I got the blade in and managed to saw the bolt in half. The cable is still locked, but the latch mechanism moves easily, so I don't know why I couldn't get that to work earlier.

I'm hoping the cable is a warranty repair. I'm going to have to decide whether to do without the security of the seat bolt, or buy a new one and hope I don't face this again.
    2020- RT Limited
    Chalk White, Can-Am rear passenger armrests, Comfort Seat, Grip puppies, RAM Cup Holders, Providence RAM Mount
    FOBO2 TPMS
    Aluma MCTXL trailer
    BRP hitch
    Permanent Smile!!!

Spyder Garage

Rather than ever deal with that again, why not just remove the two bolts that hold the latch mechanism in place, and just tuck the latch underneath? That's what I did. No more turning the key to open the seat. All the parts are still there and functional, should I ever want to re-install it. Only takes a minute
    2021 RT Limited

2016 RTS , Pearl White

Spyder Garage

Default Wow...!!

Never seen anyone go that far...Many have added a secondary manual cable hidden under the panels and others, as already mentioned , just pull the pin and don't worry about it. Glad you got it done with minimal damage...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

I'm in luck, my bykes under my extended warranty until August of this year, so the frozen cable SHOULD be covered by warranty. Of course that means I've got to find the time to get the byke to the shop.

I'm a bit concerned that since I have an Ultimate seat instead of stock that they will blame the seat on the stuck cable, but I'll face that fight if/when it becomes necessary.
    2020- RT Limited
    FOBO2 TPMS
    Aluma MCTXL trailer
    BRP hitch
    Permanent Smile!!!

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default WARRANTY ISSUE ON THIS

Quote Originally Posted by OverHillAndDale View Post
    I'm in luck, my bykes under my extended warranty until August of this year, so the frozen cable SHOULD be covered by warranty. Of course that means I've got to find the time to get the byke to the shop.

I'm a bit concerned that since I have an Ultimate seat instead of stock that they will blame the seat on the stuck cable, but I'll face that fight if/when it becomes necessary.
    From what you have said on this, it sounds like the cable has come off the ignition switch ( not un-common )...This would have nothing to do with the " Ultimate seat "...... After they fix this , I think you should re-place the bolt because it prevents the entire seat from sliding forward and contacting the Glove box ..... The seat and Staples will scratch the paint....... I wired my seat latch 97% open, so it will just catch .... but not lock....I can still pull my seat open without difficulty...... You may want to re-move the GAS shock from the seat and replace it with a solid rod that you put up manually when you raise the seat ..... Mike

Spyder Garage

I ordered a new bolt already since I had to cut the previous bolt in half!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2020- RT Limited
    FOBO2 TPMS
    Aluma MCTXL trailer
    BRP hitch
    Permanent Smile!!!

Spyder Garage

Remove the passenger backrest and unbolt the seat at the hinge.
    Now you should be able to move the seat all around and better get to the seat pin.

Bob
    2011 RT-S SM5 - Black
    Bought June 2013 with 450 miles. 27K on 8-1-2017.
    Farkles - DIY Trunk Break Light, HMT Break Light, DIY Mirror Turn Signal Lights, DIY Bluetooth Dongle, DIY iPod Setup, DIY Alarm System Install, Show Chrome front fender / rear saddle bag lights, 4th break light around the trunk, Vented Windshield, Baja Ron Sway Bar, DIY GPS setup, Smooth Spyder, BRP Chrome Mirrors, Adjustable deflectors, Triaxis handlebars, NVB Pegs, Bad Boy Airhorn... More to come
    2011 RT-S SM5 , Baja Ron Black

Spyder Garage

Default Nervous

I have this fear every time I am on a trip, pull up to the gas pump, and turn the key. It appears my fear is not unfounded.

Spyder Garage

I had the same problem after I switched to a Corbin seat. I justed removed the bolt when I finally got the latch to release. There is really nothing under the seat that anybody would want.
    2014 Spyder RTS

Tri Axis Handlebars
    Big Bike Trailer Harness
    Rivco Front Bumper (Black)
    Rivco Highway Pegs
    Ultimate Seat
    Garmin GPS
    Trailer Hitch
    Aluma XL Trailer
    Stainless Grill Covers
    Cupholder
    Spring Stiffeners
    Rivco Floorboards

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    From what you have said on this, it sounds like the cable has come off the ignition switch ( not un-common )...This would have nothing to do with the " Ultimate seat "...... After they fix this , I think you should re-place the bolt because it prevents the entire seat from sliding forward and contacting the Glove box ..... The seat and Staples will scratch the paint....... I wired my seat latch 97% open, so it will just catch .... but not lock....I can still pull my seat open without difficulty...... You may want to re-move the GAS shock from the seat and replace it with a solid rod that you put up manually when you raise the seat ..... Mike
    Keep in mind that you can also grind off the barbed end of the bolt so that it still functions to keep the seat from moving forward, but cannot lock.
    2020 RT Limited , Marsala Red

Spyder Garage

Default GRINDING IT OFF

Quote Originally Posted by Jetfixer View Post
    Keep in mind that you can also grind off the barbed end of the bolt so that it still functions to keep the seat from moving forward, but cannot lock.
    Yes you can .....but if you sell your Spyder the buyer might not be happy ..... By wiring the Latch open you can un-wire it easily for free .......... Mike

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Jetfixer View Post
    Since we ride on a Corbin, and the latch pin is removed, this is a great idea. Not sure if needed for us, but I will get a hex bolt and modify as needed.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    Yes you can .....but if you sell your Spyder the buyer might not be happy ..... By wiring the Latch open you can un-wire it easily for free .......... Mike
    Wait a minute. People actually sell these things? I thought they were like Golden Retrievers at a shelter. You adopt them for life.
    2020 RT Limited , Marsala Red

Spyder Garage

Buyer might not be happy if he can't open his seat .

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk
    2014 Spyder RTS

Tri Axis Handlebars
    Big Bike Trailer Harness
    Rivco Front Bumper (Black)
    Rivco Highway Pegs
    Ultimate Seat
    Garmin GPS
    Trailer Hitch
    Aluma XL Trailer
    Stainless Grill Covers
    Cupholder
    Spring Stiffeners
    Rivco Floorboards

Spyder Garage

Default Well....

A corroded cable isn't covered under warranty (so much for the BEST extended warranty). Bike is garage kept and other than washing and the occasional ryde in the rain my bike has had limited exposure to water. Latch is bent but that's being blamed on the Ultimate seat.

So I'm trying to decide if I want to just leave the seat unlatched like so many of you already are and if I should just buy parts and do this myself.

In the meantime, 3 new brake pads (at 15k miles?)

So, $2k for extended warranty and extended service, and I'm still out as much as $800.
    2020- RT Limited
    FOBO2 TPMS
    Aluma MCTXL trailer
    BRP hitch
    Permanent Smile!!!

Spyder Garage

Replacing the cable is not easy. The entire top fairing has to come off to get to the key switch and hook up the new cable.

Watch my video on installing the tri-axis handlebars as this will be about what you have to do.

Bob
    2011 RT-S SM5 - Black
    Bought June 2013 with 450 miles. 27K on 8-1-2017.
    Farkles - DIY Trunk Break Light, HMT Break Light, DIY Mirror Turn Signal Lights, DIY Bluetooth Dongle, DIY iPod Setup, DIY Alarm System Install, Show Chrome front fender / rear saddle bag lights, 4th break light around the trunk, Vented Windshield, Baja Ron Sway Bar, DIY GPS setup, Smooth Spyder, BRP Chrome Mirrors, Adjustable deflectors, Triaxis handlebars, NVB Pegs, Bad Boy Airhorn... More to come
    2011 RT-S SM5 , Baja Ron Black

Spyder Garage

Default LATCH CABLE ISSUE

Quote Originally Posted by OverHillAndDale View Post
    A corroded cable isn't covered under warranty (so much for the BEST extended warranty). Bike is garage kept and other than washing and the occasional ryde in the rain my bike has had limited exposure to water. Latch is bent but that's being blamed on the Ultimate seat.

So I'm trying to decide if I want to just leave the seat unlatched like so many of you already are and if I should just buy parts and do this myself.

In the meantime, 3 new brake pads (at 15k miles?)

So, $2k for extended warranty and extended service, and I'm still out as much as $800.
    .I made a separate cable that attached to the OEM seat Latch and ran forward alongside / under the panel and exited into the area under the right front headlight and was accessible after you opened the FRUNK. It was hidden and secure. I also did a similar cable that worked for folks that had a GAS DOOR. If interested in more details ... PM me ....... PS, DO NOT remove the post ... it prevents the seat from sliding forward ( and it will ) and then scratch the glove box paint ....... Mike

Spyder Garage

Easier yet just tie strap the latch back in the open position, so all you do is get off and open it up. Dont have to turn the switch ever again to open the seat......AND no I'm not afraid of anyone pissing with my gas cap or fuel. safe riding
    Baja Ron sway bar, Spyder Dock, Highway Brackets,Trident pegs, Spyder Decals, Signal Mirror led strips, Utopia backrest, 5 pc. Hopnel liner set, cargo nets side/rear doors. Mesh bag front trunk, foam grips, spare trunk key, passenger armrests/storage pouch's, ram mounts/GPS, Drink holder,Phone, Passenger clamp-on drink holder, rear trunk tap light, custom plate frame, spyder fastener bolts, adjustable lower mirror wind deflectors, F4 Customs windshield -wide,tall,clear,vent,Chrome Spyder grill.

Spyder Garage

I made a separate cable that attached to the OEM seat Latch and ran forward alongside / under the panel and exited into the area under the right front headlight and was accessible after you opened the FRUNK. It was hidden and secure. I also did a similar cable that worked for folks that had a GAS DOOR. If interested in more details ... PM me ....... PS, DO NOT remove the post ... it prevents the seat from sliding forward ( and it will ) and then scratch the glove box paint ....... Mike

Hi Mike, can you show me the way you done it. I like your idea.
    Thanks in advance...Cheers

Spyder Garage

Default SEAT LATCH RELEASE CABLE

Quote Originally Posted by JonYiong View Post
    I made a separate cable that attached to the OEM seat Latch and ran forward alongside / under the panel and exited into the area under the right front headlight and was accessible after you opened the FRUNK. It was hidden and secure. I also did a similar cable that worked for folks that had a GAS DOOR. If interested in more details ... PM me ....... PS, DO NOT remove the post ... it prevents the seat from sliding forward ( and it will ) and then scratch the glove box paint ....... Mike

Hi Mike, can you show me the way you done it. I like your idea.
    Thanks in advance...Cheers
    .......... Jon you are fortunate I happen to re-visit this thread .... The Spyder I did this on was an RT .... so I will have to look at the RS/ST to see if it's similar ...... if so I'll get back to you ...... Mike

Spyder Garage

Default SEAT LATCH RELEASE CABLE FOR RS - ST - GS

Since Jon asked - and He doesn't have an RT .... this is still doable , start by removing the latch assembly by in-bolting (10mm) it ( so you can work on it ). The re-lease cable can be routed two ways - either around the right side of the AIR BOX or ( I like this ) under the AIR BOX ....they both exit by the radiator bottle ..... you can leave the pull piece under the black plastic cover or not ...whatever you want .........Home Depot sells thin wire cable 1/16 get 3 ft.... if you go under the Air Box don't get the plastic covered type it will melt....... I used a steel rivet as a Ferrule ( take out the Mandrel ) which you crimp unto one end ...... Where the OEM cable attaches to the Latch , you will attach your cable there also ( the ferrule should be on backwards - you crimp onto the wire not the ferrule ) ..... fishing this cable is going to be difficult if you go under the Air Box, - Use a 3 ft piece of 12ga elec wire ( it's easy to bend but stiff enough to maneuver ). use this temp wire to pull through a string and use that to pull through your NEW cable ..... attach something to the end so you can grab it and pull it ..... Wa-La ............ Mike

Spyder Garage

Hi Mike, thank you for your quick response.
    Would you able to provide pictures or videos on how to do it...Cheers

Spyder Garage

Default VIDEO'S + PICS

Quote Originally Posted by JonYiong View Post
    Hi Mike, thank you for your quick response.
    Would you able to provide pictures or videos on how to do it...Cheers
    Well I have an RT ..... I never did an ST or RS and they aren't the same ...... that's why I got so wordy in my explanation ...... I forgot to mention the right side panel below the top panel will have to come off so you can see what's down there and have bright flashlites