Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Spyder RTS 2016 radiator/tires/gas

I have had my Spyder for 3 months. I have not been able to remove the bugs accumulated on the radiator. Any good ideas I can try? I have tried compressed air from behind. I have heard conflicting stories about using automobile tires. Wondering what other owners opinions are on this and also on using regular unleaded gas instead of premium. I have heard conflicting stories on that too. Thanks

Spyder Garage

Default Lets see....

You do have to soak the bugs...there are products for this then blow them out. WD-40 works
    As for tires there are a ton of users out there you just have to find the one you like...I still use Kendas
    You can use either gasoline but for the price difference and high cost of the spyder use the higher octane...

Oh ! and welcome to the spyder world and this awesome site.....
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Regarding the bugs, try wetting them down thoroughly with a gentle hose spray and then washing them out from behind. whatever method you use to get them out, once you do, invest in a pair of KOTT Grilles from Spyderpops, a SL sponsor. They are the best investment to prevent bug infestation. While wearing out your first rear tire, research this web site and you'll find enough information/opinions to fill a large volcano crater. Then make your decision. On regular unleaded gas, the engineers have their reasons for recommending 91 octane. Yes, it will run on 87 and the ECM will adjust for it, but unless you know more than the engineers why not stick with their recommendation and do the best for your dollar investment in a sophisticated machine. JMOs.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Lgordya View Post
    I have had my Spyder for 3 months. I have not been able to remove the bugs accumulated on the radiator. Any good ideas I can try? I have tried compressed air from behind. I have heard conflicting stories about using automobile tires. Wondering what other owners opinions are on this and also on using regular unleaded gas instead of premium. I have heard conflicting stories on that too. Thanks
    Read this for a discussion about bugs, how to remove, and how to prevent.

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...ed-KOTT-grills

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Lgordya View Post

#1: The tip on the other listed thread about soaking in hydrogen peroxide is a good tip. Radiator guards is a good idea too, but you'll still get some debris bypassing those too, because of position of the radiators. I'm sure that's part of the reason the F3 radiators were relocated.

#2: There really isn't much conflict about tires. Automotive tires are superior. Now whatever your preference is a different matter. There are TONS of tire threads all over this forum, so you can read and decide for yourself.

#3: As was stated, your bike will run on regular unleaded, but it is designed for premium. Using regular gas will "force" the engine management computer to compensate and a loss in performance will result. You won't notice in most riding conditions, but you will definitely notice under certain conditions. The cost difference is minimal, so to me it's a no-brainer to optimize your bikes performance.
    2020 RTL SE6

Previously 2008 GS SM5 and 2014 RT SE6

Spyder Garage

1. Bugs..well I like to use good ole Simple Green. Soak the bike down real good and let it sit while you uncoil your garden hose and fill your bucket with soapy water. Then, just wash it like you'd like your car. I've had good luck with bugs coming out of all the nooks and crannies on the Spyder.

2. Tires..it's personal preference. Our stock tires are good for another year, then I'll be switching to a car tire for the rear. I did this with our 1st Spyder and really like the superior ride vs. the Kenda tire. I have not been in a situation to replace the front tires yet, but will likely go with car tires when I do.

3. Gas...put in the best gas the pumps have to offer at the given station you're at. I've used all grades, with and without ethanol 87 to 93 and have never noticed a real big difference. I would however recommend filling your last tank of the year with a Non-Ethanol grade 91 or 93 and add just a tad of marine fuel stabilizer. Winter can get loooong here in WI.

Where from WI are you? We are in Arena, about 35 miles north and west of Madison on Hwy 14. Crappy town, but right in the middle of some great riding terrain.
    2021 RT Limited

2016 RTS , Pearl White