Spyder Garage

Question Chris T oil smell like fuel

This is first time I ever noticed this with over 30000 miles on my 2009 RS. The oil on the dipstick has a peculiar odor, like a fuel additive. I do use an additive with my fill ups. Any thoughts or experiences? Thanks

Spyder Garage

Default Well....

I remember many a crankcase filled with gasoline on the old carburator gravity fed bikes. Now on a fuel injected fuel pump unit it is harder for this to happen. Fuel has to leak past the rings on the pistons so as to end up in the oil. Let us know if you find where this smell is coming from...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by CHRIS T View Post
    This is first time I ever noticed this with over 30000 miles on my 2009 RS. The oil on the dipstick has a peculiar odor, like a fuel additive. I do use an additive with my fill ups. Any thoughts or experiences? Thanks
    Might be worth drawing off a sample of the oil and sending it in for analysis. See just what's in it.
    Trb-- (Roger)

2014 Cognac STL:Ultimate Seat, Nelson Rigg Tail Pack, Nelson Rigg RS/ST Half Cover, TL fender lights, Squared Away Laser Alignment, BajaRon sway bar and links, Akropovic Sport Silencer
    2022 White Pearl F3T
    Gone but not forgotten: 2019 F3S Special Series Liquid Titanium

Spyder States Visited

Spyder Garage

Default Smelly oil

Thanks, have ordered oil sample kit. Will let you know what they find.

Spyder Garage

Cool Oil sample resultsresults

Blackstone lab came back with oil sample results. Very positive, said no sign of engine problems and that my smeller was faulty!! Seems like a great company. I am happy!

Spyder Garage

Glad to hear this good news, now get out and ride

Cruzr Joe
    2018 F3 Limited, BRP Driver Backrest, Spyderpops Lighted Bump Skid, Dual Spyclops Light, Mirror Turn Signals, Laser Alignment, Engine LEDs, Fog Lights With Halo's, Cushion Handgrips, BRT LEDs, and Under Lighting, Lamonster IPS, (with Clock), F4 25" Vented Windshield with Wings, Airhawk "R" Cushions. Position 4 Brake setting, Short reach Handlebars, Dash Mounted Voltmeter and 12 Volt Plug. Set of 3rd pegs. Extended Passenger Seat. Exterior BRP Connect setup, Ultimate Trailer