Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    Not kidding - google Snow Blowers and you will find what some have done to fix this ....... they put some stiff rubber on the 3 blades that spin and actually throw the snow out the shute. The rubber is put so it touches the drum ( the rubber quickly wears to fit perfectly ). In the video's they don't clog because there is no build-up between the blades and the drum...... apparently there is a HEAT factor that causes snow to turn to ice and this helps to clog the shute ....... go take a look ......... Mike
    Yup I did this last year with mine, works great
    2010 RTSM5

2010 RTSM5 , stock Stock Silver

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    What size snowblowers do you have?
    I bought the biggest that Honda had when I came up in 2001. It was 11.5 HP and track driven. That one would blow snow over 50 ft away. One problem--it ate shear pins like they were candy. It had pins on the inside of the impeller and outside ones also. Of course the inside ones where I had to remove the impeller broke the most often. I got very good at fixing those.

I replaced the Honda with a less "sophisticated" one. I now have a flatter drive way. The old one had a fifty foot climb from top to bottom. This one has no such climb. My current rig is a troy built 28 inch wide snow clearance. Engine says 277 cc's--don't know how it relates to HP. Linda's son David says it has "balls." She got the information for me as I cannot get it myself at the moment.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I've always had good luck with anything sold by Troy-Bilt.
    We've got you blower's little brother: 208cc, and a 24" width.
    It doesn't like wet snow at all, but the Missus can make magic happen with it!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    I've always had good luck with anything sold by Troy-Bilt.
    We've got you blower's little brother: 208cc, and a 24" width.
    It doesn't like wet snow at all, but the Missus can make magic happen with it!
    I also bought a Troy-Bilt riding lawn mower for 2016. I am pleased with both products.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Smile TroyBilt

Blower #1:
    11 horsepower ( but is less at altitude) and 30" path. Got it at a healthy discount at Lowes as a return. And I know why--- It didn't work well. After adjusting the governor and doing the recently discussed impeller fix----- it works great.

Blower #2:
    Originally a 5 HP x24" Troy-bilt shared between three families. We literally used it up. The two other families left the snow country and left me with used up blower. In my time as a shop teacher here in Reno, people would donate " stuff" to the school. Someone donated a 10 HP Troy-bilt blower with a broken auger/impeller gearbox-------- BUT a fine motor. Had one of my fine auto students swap the 10 for the 5 and just like that I have a little burro that throws snow like crazy.

I've put throttle controls up on the dash on both and now with the impeller fix they are GREAT.

Kaos
    Kaos----- Gone but not forgotten.

2014 RTS in Circuit Yellow, farkle-ing addiction down to once every few months. ECU FLASH IS GREAT.
    2014 RTS , Circuit Yellow

Spyder Garage

Default UPDATE TO MY SNOW BLOWER CLOGGING UP

Last Jan I asked for tips to prevent clogging. Well thanks to Trikermutha and his video about attaching rubber strips to the
    impeller blades I have a new machine( I did have to drill pilot holes tho). A few days ago we accumulated about a foot of snow and I spent about 3 hours one day and 2 hours the next day clearing driveways with no clogs, throwing snow like it never did before. I sprayed the chute and auger with Pam and WD-40 and that work pretty well. I was wondering if spraying some liquid rubber stuff on the inside of the chute would keep snow from sticking in it? So many thanks again to you all, me and my neighbor are very happy!
    Yellow 2013RT SE5(Previous)
    Champagne Metallic 2017RT LTD SE6

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by kaos View Post
    Blower #1:
    11 horsepower ( but is less at altitude) and 30" path. Got it at a healthy discount at Lowes as a return. And I know why--- It didn't work well. After adjusting the governor and doing the recently discussed impeller fix----- it works great.
    Kaos
    Which model? (Two-stage, or three?)
    We have a Vortex 3090 (Three-Stage) being delivered today Fingers Crossed.gif.
    Our snows have become rather wet and heavy. We rarely get the light fluffy poowder that is easy to throw.
    We figure that this one should be able to throw wet concrete!
    Last edited by Bob Denman; 02-16-2017 at 08:52 AM.

MelloYelloSpyder

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    Not kidding - google Snow Blowers and you will find what some have done to fix this ....... they put some stiff rubber on the 3 blades that spin and actually throw the snow out the shute. The rubber is put so it touches the drum ( the rubber quickly wears to fit perfectly ). In the video's they don't clog because there is no build-up between the blades and the drum...... apparently there is a HEAT factor that causes snow to turn to ice and this helps to clog the shute ....... go take a look ......... Mike
    I seen this video before and was trying to remember where I saw it. Google this fix. I have a single stage as I don't have need for a bigger one so I can not speak to that problem...

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

This one?

Spyder Garage

Default Snow blower Clogging Up!

OK I'm Being Serious Now! Cooking Spray! Really! You don't have to get the expensive stuff like "Pam" the cheap store brand works just as good. Get the big can! Spray the chute, impellers & housing! If it's a lot of snow or very wet you might need to respray half way thru!

Spyder Garage

Two stage
    Yellow 2013RT SE5(Previous)
    Champagne Metallic 2017RT LTD SE6