Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Newby looking for advice

Hello everyone and Happy New Year! My Wife surprised me with a Black 2016 RT Limited for Christmas and I am looking for some guidance. I have only been able to sneak in a couple of rides due to the crappy weather we have been having here in PA but so far each ride has added more grey to the top of my head. While riding, the front tires are making a squealing noise when traveling at speeds over 20 MPH and it feels like the Spyder is trying to go everywhere but straight. I have increased the air pressure to 20 front / 30 rear and relaxed my grip as suggested which has made the handling better and lessened the amount of tire squealing but its still concerning. Is this a possible mechanical problem or just me being green and needing to log some miles? Any and all comments are greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Spyder Garage

and on your new purchase. Most of your questions will probably be answered in the "Do's and Dont's" thread; click on the link... http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...-Spyder-owners
    2014 Spyder RT Limited SE6
    BRP Tri Axis Adjustable Handlebars
    BRP Adjustable Wind Deflectors
    BRP RT Passenger Armrest
    BRP Driver's Backrest
    BRP Travel Cover
    Baja Ron Swaybar
    SpyderPops KOTTS
    SpyderPops Bump Skid
    Lamonster NVB Highway Brackets w/ Gripper Pegs
    Lamonster LED Headlights & Fog Lights
    Custom Dynamics HMT Brake Light
    Show Chrome 7.5 inch Spiral Antenna
    SpyderFlap Mud Guard
    Helmetlok w/ T-Bar Extension
    Hopnel 5PC Luggage Set
    Airhawk R Seat Cushion
    Rivco Dual Flag Mount

Spyder Garage

Default 300+

If your all new to the spyder and more so to any kind of motorcycle it will take you 300 miles or more to get comfortable. Your on the newest and most advanced so I would not suspect any problems. If the weather has been bad it makes it tough..but welcome to the spyder world and this most amazing site. Folks here will getc you feeling like a pro in no time.. congrats on such a fine wife great choice in rydes..on
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

on having such a GREAT Wife!
    Do you have any ATV or snowmobiling experience? The Spyder actually handles much more like they do, than any two-wheeled motorcycle.
    There's a learning curve, that lasts for a couple of hundred miles. (Your mileage may vary...)
    Take short, low-speed rides...
    Keep a relaxed grip on the bars...
    RELAX: you're supposed to be having fun!

As far as getting gray hair over it: I should be so lucky!

2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Very Active Member OverHillAndDale's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I second (or third) all of the advice about it taking 300 miles to adapt to a Spyder, but I'm concerned about the squealing you hear. If it sounds like it shouldn't be there it sounds like a trip to the dealer.

So this wife of yours BOUGHT YOU A SPYDER!! WOW, she's a keeper!
    2020- RT Limited
    Chalk White, Can-Am rear passenger armrests, Comfort Seat, Grip puppies, RAM Cup Holders, Providence RAM Mount
    FOBO2 TPMS
    Aluma MCTXL trailer
    BRP hitch
    Big Bike Parts wiring harness
    Permanent Smile!!!

Very Active Member Pirate looks at --'s Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Squealing tires is a new one. I think I would have that checked. If you can find a big vacant parking lot get out there and rune som figure 8s and get comfortable. You will notice that the steering becomes a push/pull type of maneuver, push with the outside hand pull with the inside hand, always with a relaxed grip. Take the short rydes on less traveled roads when weather permits and you will start to feel like the bike is driving itself, that's when you know that you are giving the right amount of input. They do almost drive themselves!
    White 2013 Spyder RT Limited. BajaRon Swaybar, Custom Dynamic Third Brake Light. Ultimate Custom Black and White seat with driver and passenger back rest. Gloryder Led Wheel lights.Custom Dynamics Led Bright sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright sides.

2016 F3 Limited Intense Red Pearl. Lidlox, BRP Driver Back Rest, BRP Passenger Back Rest,Fog Lights, GPS, Signature Light! Custom Dynamics LED Bright Sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright Sides.

Spyder Garage

Default +1 on the running around a big empty parking lot..

Gives you a chance to relax and do some slow speed maneuvers and just relax without worrying about traffic. My wife and I used to run around a parking lot in the nearby state park at the swim beach. Should be empty this time of year

Congrats on your new ride and as you explore the Spyder World of 3 wheels
    2015 RT , OEM Black Gloss

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by OverHillAndDale View Post
    I second (or third) all of the advice about it taking 300 miles to adapt to a Spyder, but I'm concerned about the squealing you hear. If it sounds like it shouldn't be there it sounds like a trip to the dealer.

It could even just be the belt, as it engages the cogs on the sprockets...
    A tiny dab or two of grease will quiet it down.

(If the front tires ARE squealing: I'd almost want to take a look at the wheel bearings...)

Spyder Garage

Congrats on your new bike. As for the "squeal" - never heard of that one. Maybe alignment is way off. Our dealer here does a laser alignment on all new bikes. They say some are way off from the factory. I came from two wheels and the first ride was scary as hell. Now I am on my second spyder and love it. The key is to relax. The grip I recommend is with fingers extended (Do not grip the grip). I have come accustomed to "pushing" to turn. It prevents me from gripping and pulling to turn. the spyder is very touchy and if you are always gripping, the bike will feel it is darting all over the road. Give yourself a few hundred miles to get the hang of it! You will learn to love it. I also grew up about 25 miles North of Pittsburgh, PA.
    2015 an Am Spyder RT Limited
    2013 Yamaha WR250R - Sold
    2011 Can Am Spyder RT-S SE5 Limited - Sold
    2011 Aspen Sentry Trailer
    2003 BMW K1200LT - Sold
    2007 Unigo Trailer - Sold
    2001 BMW K1200LT - Sold
    2001 Honda 750 NightHawk - sold
    2015 RT Ltd , Canamspyderaccessories Brake pedal ext. Red

Spyder Garage

Default New Spyder

Take time to learn the Spyder riding technique. Read the Do's and Do Not's.
    Took me 500 miles to relax and 1000 miles to get comfortable.
    A laser alignment will help the twitchy steering.
    My brakes sqeak in wet or humid conditions. Not a big concern.
    Where are you in PA.
    I'm west of Pittsburgh.

Spyder Garage

Thanks everyone for the great advice. I am located in the York, PA area by the way. I have gone through the Do's and Dont's and have picked up a lot of tips but what concerned me the most was the front tire squeal. After upping the air pressure the squeal has practically gone away but it's something I had never experienced in all of my years of riding. I am planning to get a laser alignment and have the Spyder PA inspected as soon as the weather clears. Can anyone recommend a dealership here in the York area. My wife ordered and had the bike shipped from iMotorsports so I have not had an opportunity to visit any of the local shops yet.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

&
    PrairieSpyder (Patti)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by TheCMJ View Post
    Hello everyone and Happy New Year! My Wife surprised me with a Black 2016 RT Limited for Christmas and I am looking for some guidance. I have only been able to sneak in a couple of rides due to the crappy weather we have been having here in PA but so far each ride has added more grey to the top of my head. While riding, the front tires are making a squealing noise when traveling at speeds over 20 MPH and it feels like the Spyder is trying to go everywhere but straight. I have increased the air pressure to 20 front / 30 rear and relaxed my grip as suggested which has made the handling better and lessened the amount of tire squealing but its still concerning. Is this a possible mechanical problem or just me being green and needing to log some miles? Any and all comments are greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
    I also am a newbie with under 3000 miles. My Spyder needed much in they way of alignment and front tire replacement. In spite of that there was no tire squeal. Is it possible that your foot is resting on the break pedal while you are on the gas. That will cause a squeal.

Very Active Member Roadster Renovations's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

on the new ryde! All good advice! Take you time and relax your grip some. It will help.Also, on corners, lock your outer elbow. This will give you better control.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

on your spyder andto the spyder web. All haven given advise. The more you ride, the more comfortable you'll become. It took me about 300 miles to get used to my first spyder. Dale
    Last edited by d.o.spyder-rts; 01-04-2017 at 11:59 PM.

Very Active Member Buckeye Bleau's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Long shot on the noise

There are some good ideas above but here is a long shot.

The brakes on the Spyders often whine at us because of all the brake dust.

New Ryders will often for whatever reason seem to ride the brake pedal, this is a terrible habit but it happens.

Double check yourself to insure that you are off the brake pedal.

Joe
    U.S. Army Viet Nam Era Vet
    2013 Spyder RT-L, Black Currant
    Trunk mount dual SS flag holder
    TricLed foam hand grips (awesome)
    Chromed Soaring Eagle License Holder
    Utopia Deluxe driver backrest
    LED fender lighting
    Fast Flash LED brake light
    Spyder Pops LED/skid plate

Spyder Garage

Default align

Thanks!
    Sounds to me like you have a front alignment problem. I would take it back nd ask them to check it. no way the tired should squeal over 20 an the steering be dirty like that

Spyder Garage

After reading the comments I broke out the measuring tape and took a closer look at the front alignment. It appears my right front is 3/4" Toe out. I made an adjustment to the tie rod and got it as close as possible with a crude alignment setup. As soon as the temps climb above freezing I will test and see if this resolves the squealing tire issue and get to a dealer for a proper laser alignment. Hard to believe this got past BRP and the dealer before delivery. Thanks again everyone.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Good luck!
    But rather than "eyeball" these important adjustments: your efforts might be best served by having the bike laser-aligned at the earliest convenient time...

Spyder Garage

Default Howdy

Quote Originally Posted by OverHillAndDale View Post

Looks like a "potato state" plate. We live in Wilder, and ride the 2012 Spyder RT-SE5. Should you get the inclination to go for a ride, when the weather improves, please let us know. I can also be reached at tnessman@gmail.com.
    Looks like you've added to your RT pretty well. Which begs the question, what's next?

Spyder Garage

Thanks everyone for the great advice. I am located in the York, PA area by the way. I have gone through the Do's and Dont's and have picked up a lot of tips but what concerned me the most was the front tire squeal. After upping the air pressure the squeal has practically gone away but it's something I had never experienced in all of my years of riding. I am planning to get a laser alignment and have the Spyder PA inspected as soon as the weather clears. Can anyone recommend a dealership here in the York area. My wife ordered and had the bike shipped from iMotorsports so I have not had an opportunity to visit any of the local shops yet.

Welcome and you are right the weather did get crappy here in Pa.There is a big dealer in Hanover,Pa http://motosportsinc.com/

Spyder Garage

Default Suggestion

Congrats on the new Spyder!! You're gonna LOVE it!!

When you get a chance, strongly consider getting a BajaRon Sway Bar installed. We had our RT for almost two seasons, got a sway bar end of last summer and could not believe the difference in handling and ride for both driver and passenger!! Best money we've put into our Spyder so far.
    We had it installed by Netzley Tire in Accord, NY. Also had them do a laser alignment. Its a 3 hour drive from us but well worth the trip! Highly recommend them!! Great people, great work.

Spring will be here in a few months!! Have fun!!
    Nate and Lori

2021 Spyder RT Limited--Deep Marsala Red--Chrome Edition

[/B]​Nelson-Rigg half cover, Hopnel side bags and trunk liner bags, , Driver's Backrest, BRP Trailer hitch and control module, 131 DB horn from TricLED, "Shadow" trailer from Mini Trailer USA,

Spyder Garage

If you found an alignment problem Bob is right. Here's a link to the Rolo alignment system dealers in PA.
    http://www.spydercomfort.com/dealerspa.htm
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

I have the BajaRon Swaybar and Fox Shocks in the garage ready to install. I already installed the Comfort Seat and Lamonster NBV Highway Brackets but I did not want to introduce another variable to the suspension until I determined what was happening with the handling.

Spyder Garage

and on your . The thread about do's and don'ts will cover about all the issues you have mentioned along with additional comments to get past the "what did I do" items that you mentioned. Most refer to these situations as the "learning curve." The does not drive like a motorcycle and many of those things applied to the will make the machine seem to have a mind of its own. Fear, to tight a grip, etc, will bring out the "worst" in a . Most of your "issues" will go away--but--poor set up can also cause some of the issue--lets not go there for now. It took me 1,500 miles before I was comfortable--but I was a two wheeled die hard with many ingrown habits.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red