Spyder Garage

Default Front brake clicking

I changed the front brakes on my 2014 Spyer RT Limited. All looked good. Used EBC pads. Brakes work great. There is however a fast, slight clicking noise in the left front brake that varies with speed only when brakes are applied. Quiet at any other time. Took wheel back apart and see nothing wrong. Although there is a little bit of chatter marks on both inner and outer pads. Anyone have an idea of what is going on? Thanks for any input you guys have.

Spyder Garage

SEE nothing wrong ? How about FEEL, like turn your wheel off hubs and feel for rough spots like a worn bearing.
    Flatlander, Navy Veteran, Widower
    Loved my 2014 RTS SE6 Pearl white
    but have a new love now,
    my 2017 RTS SE6 Champagne metallic (Champ)

Spyder Garage

Default Let's see....

I use a silicone paste on the back side of the pads that helps and especially if the pins they hang on have any wear marks...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

It should break in and subside.

Often, on many vehicles, the leading edge of the brake pad is slightly catching the vent hole edges to cause the clicking sound. The edge of the pad is kind of square and sharp passing by the edge of the vent hole that is sharp.

A solution, and you may want to do both wheels, all 4 brake pads is to chamfer the leading edge of the brake pad at about a 45 and remove it back about 2mm.

The other alternative method is to deburr / chamfer the vent holes in the disc. More work, butnot impossible.

This is expecting the brake pad backing plates have properly installed and not worn out anti squeal / anti rattle devices or proper application of one of the anti sqeal products.
    Last edited by PMK; 01-03-2017 at 05:40 AM.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

with Paul... This is a non-issue, and can safely be ignored.
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Default Brake clicking

Thanks guys. I've jacked it up and spun the wheel with tire on and off. Can't feel anything. The chamfering sounds promising. Never thought about that. Used permatex brand "Disc Brake Quiet" on the back of each pad on initial assembly as per the can's instructions. Again, thanks. Will let you know what happens.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I wouldn't even worry about chamfering the leading edges of the pads: they'll wear-in, and this clicking may very well stop on it's own anyway.
    The stuff used to silence the pads ("Disk Brake Quiet"), is meant more for squealing brakes anyway...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black