Thread: Tools list

Spyder Garage

Default Tools list

Hello All,

First of all I'd like to apologize for this SUPER basic question. As some of you might know I recently picked up at 2009 GS. With that being said i'm completely ignorant on what I need for my tool case in case of emergency (don't have any in the ftrunk)

I am also worried becuase I have put the bike for storage (in a acquaintances garage) and I thought i'd go weekly and start the bike but it's been a month and he's not available and now I'm starting to worried that the battery might be dead so now I need to start thinking about how to take the fairings apart to get to the battery compartment.

This video series does a FANTASTIC job in ilustrating that, but I have saddle bags as well and that's where I'm kinda worried. How will i take the fairings off and the tools which I will need to do so.

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...pdated-Version

I know I need the T30 allen key for the fairings but I don't know what I need to take off the saddle bags.

Thank you all in advance for taking the time to read this post and replying.

PS- Also if there is anyone in or around NYC who is familiar with the mechanics of the CAN AM and who does work on it, please PM me. I need some work done (brakes seem week and I don't want to take a chance) and I don't want to go to the stealers and rather support community members.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by tecnodog7; 01-02-2017 at 02:29 PM.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

It is a T30 Torx that you need. Don't start your bike up unless you can ride it long enough to charge the battery, it is better off left on a tender and not started again until the Spring. In addition to the tool kit that comes with your bike a small compressor and tire plug kit is a good thing to carry.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

If BRP Mounts & bags there is a special tool with triangle tip to remove the brackets.
    Is on my 2013 , not 100% sure if same on earlier, but very well should be

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...n-Am-Givi-bags
    Last edited by Bfromla; 01-02-2017 at 02:56 PM. Reason: Link

2013 STL SE5 BLACK CURRANT
    SpyderPop's: LED bumpskid
    SmoothSpyder: dualmode back rest
    T r * * LED:foam grip covers, Tricrings, FenderZ,
    brake light strips, wide vue mirrors
    Rivico SOMA modulation brake leds
    sawblade mowhalk fender accents
    minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack
    GENSSI ELITE LED H4 headlights
    FLO (Frunk Lid Organizer)
    BRP fog lights, trailer hitch
    SENA 20S EVO
    2013 STL , Stock Stock Black currant

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by tecnodog7 View Post
    Hello All,

First of all I'd like to apologize for this SUPER basic question. As some of you might know I recently picked up at 2009 GS. With that being said i'm completely ignorant on what I need for my tool case in case of emergency (don't have any in the ftrunk)

I am also worried becuase I have put the bike for storage (in a acquaintances garage) and I thought i'd go weekly and start the bike but it's been a month and he's not available and now I'm starting to worried that the battery might be dead so now I need to start thinking about how to take the fairings apart to get to the battery compartment.

This video series does a FANTASTIC job in ilustrating that, but I have saddle bags as well and that's where I'm kinda worried. How will i take the fairings off and the tools which I will need to do so.

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...pdated-Version

I know I need the T30 allen key for the fairings but I don't know what I need to take off the saddle bags.

Thank you all in advance for taking the time to read this post and replying.

PS- Also if there is anyone in or around NYC who is familiar with the mechanics of the CAN AM and who does work on it, please PM me. I need some work done (brakes seem week and I don't want to take a chance) and I don't want to go to the stealers and rather support community members.
    Looking at the side photo you've got the BRP mounts not the Givi ones so you should have a special triangle tool Bfromla mentions to remove the panniers. The battery on your model should be just behind the left hand rear panel and so is relatively easy to access once the panniers are off.

However also be aware there are battery access terminals under your seat. the idea of these is they provide an easy way to add a trickle charger to keep the battery in shape when left without you having to take the panel off. This may be a better solution for you - particularly as Spyder Ann mentioned you need to give the Spyder a bit of a run to keep the battery happy.

I'm guessing from your post that the tool kit for the Spyder is missing as normally this would contain the T30 for removing the panels and the triangle key for the panniers? I don't carry much beyond the standard kit other than the tire repair stuff Ann mentions, a multi-tool, gaffer tape, cable ties and a length of wire. But if the standard kit is missing we can give a list of the stuff in it.

Spyder Garage

Thank you all for the valuable feedback. I'm trying to get access to my bike so that I can see what's in there (from what I remember seeing it in there).

Quote Originally Posted by PistonBlown View Post

However also be aware there are battery access terminals under your seat. the idea of these is they provide an easy way to add a trickle charger to keep the battery in shape when left without you having to take the panel off. This may be a better solution for you - particularly as Spyder Ann mentioned you need to give the Spyder a bit of a run to keep the battery happy.
    If this is the case then I won't have to remove the panels in case I need to charge the battery if it does die. Thank you so much, now I just need to get a hand on my bike so that I can see how can I get things done!

Spyder Garage

Default Tools

This is what I do about the tools on all my bikes. Go around the Spyder and pack wrenches that will fit all of the nuts and bolts that you think you will logically remove on the road. Forget about big ones like the axle nut, you won't be doing that on the side of the road. Get a good tire plug kit. If you know how to read a multimeter, throw a cheap one in the kit also.
    2011 RTS (Sold to a very nice lady)
    1998 Honda Valkyrie
    2006 Mustang GT. Varooooom!
    US Navy Veteran
    SC Law Enforcement Boat Captain
    CNC Machine Service Technician
    President: Rolling Thunder SC1
    Member: Disabled American Veterans, Rock Hill, SC
    Member: American Legion
    Experience is recognizing the same mistake every time you make it!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Grandpot View Post
    This is what I do about the tools on all my bikes. Go around the Spyder and pack wrenches that will fit all of the nuts and bolts that you think you will logically remove on the road. Forget about big ones like the axle nut, you won't be doing that on the side of the road. Get a good tire plug kit. If you know how to read a multimeter, throw a cheap one in the kit also.
    Thank you. That is some solid advice. I don't know how to read a multi meter (but now would be a good time to learn).

Spyder Garage

I need for my tool case in case of emergency (don't have any in the ftrunk)
    It may be a silly question but ..... Have you looked under the seat? Thats where BRP tools come in my 2011 RT.

Maybe in your model is different than mine.
    Last edited by mcalva; 01-03-2017 at 03:20 PM.
    2018 F3 Ltd. , Black/Dark

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by mcalva View Post
    It may be a silly question but ..... Have you looked under the seat? Thats where BRP tools come in my 2011 RT.

Maybe in your model is different than mine.
    They are not under the seat on a GS.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

Default Tool Kit...

...is in the frunk, left side (as you sit), tucked up under the panel, in a rolled up pouch. It is held there with a strap.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Grandpot View Post
    Good advice; but don't forget the Platinum MasterCard!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Good news. I finally got access to the bike and I did find the original tool kit that came with the bike. With that said there is no bikini ( as my friend called it) looking tool for the nut. Attaching the picture of the bolt. So i'll just have to order the tool provided in the link then.
    IMG_20170121_151110.jpgIMG_20170121_161409.jpg

Spyder Garage

Good news. I finally got access to the bike and I did find the original tool kit that came with the bike. With that said there is no bikini ( as my friend called it) looking tool for the nut. Attaching the picture of the bolt. So i'll just have to order the tool provided in the link then.
    IMG_20170121_151110.jpgIMG_20170121_161409.jpg
    Pleased you did find the tool kit with the Spyder, shame the 'bikini' tool is missing (that is a good name:-)).

Though there's not that much in the tool kit but it does the trick for checks and fixes while travelling. Things I'd consider changing:
    • Tire pressure gauge - The digital one that came with my Spyder started giving weird readings .e.g. I'd check the same tire several times and it would give me very different readings. Heard of a few others having issues with them so just replaced it with a standard pencil one. This takes up less space as well.
    • T30 Allan Key - The screw driver that comes with the kit is a bit long to reach the bolts on the under the seat as it fouls with the belt guard etc. These screws are also often a bit sticky as they are where all the mud etc get's splashed from the rear wheel so it's easy to damage the heads on them if trying to use the standard screwdriver. I've added an T30 Allan Key to the tool kit as this makes these a lot easier.
    • Add a spanner that fits the parking brake nut on the rear wheel. There is a long tube spanner in the toolkit but it's not a good fit. I don't mean the nuts on the cable but rather the bigger nut on the shaft itself. I find the parking brake often needs adjusting when doing longer trips with plenty of stops, adjusting the cable often isn't enough.

Like everyone I do carry a few other bits and bob's (multi-tool, tire kit, etc) but you probably have your own list of 'useful things'.

Spyder Garage

Pleased you did find the tool kit with the Spyder, shame the 'bikini' tool is missing (that is a good name:-)).

Though there's not that much in the tool kit but it does the trick for checks and fixes while travelling. Things I'd consider changing:
    • Tire pressure gauge - The digital one that came with my Spyder started giving weird readings .e.g. I'd check the same tire several times and it would give me very different readings. Heard of a few others having issues with them so just replaced it with a standard pencil one. This takes up less space as well.
    • T30 Allan Key - The screw driver that comes with the kit is a bit long to reach the bolts on the under the seat as it fouls with the belt guard etc. These screws are also often a bit sticky as they are where all the mud etc get's splashed from the rear wheel so it's easy to damage the heads on them if trying to use the standard screwdriver. I've added an T30 Allan Key to the tool kit as this makes these a lot easier.
    • Add a spanner that fits the parking brake nut on the rear wheel. There is a long tube spanner in the toolkit but it's not a good fit. I don't mean the nuts on the cable but rather the bigger nut on the shaft itself. I find the parking brake often needs adjusting when doing longer trips with plenty of stops, adjusting the cable often isn't enough.

Like everyone I do carry a few other bits and bob's (multi-tool, tire kit, etc) but you probably have your own list of 'useful things'.
    Thank you so much for taking the time out and replying.

I was going to go ahead and get a new t30 Allan key set anyway since i didn't like the factory one.

And it's so funny you spoke about the parking brake. My parking bake is so lose so thank you for that advice.

I order the tire repair kit and a mini compressor for being on the road. I will reach out to you guys for recommendation on what should be in the toolkit.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

With a bench grinder & a round file you can make yourself a spiffy tool to remove those odd looking things (turnbuckles) that hold the case racks on. Rough as guts but it works.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Spyder Garage

And it's so funny you spoke about the parking brake. My parking bake is so lose so thank you for that advice.

I order the tire repair kit and a mini compressor for being on the road. I will reach out to you guys for recommendation on what should be in the toolkit.
    I find I don't need to do much maintenance when on trips but the parking brake is the one thing that seems to be an issue. I do 48 hour endurance rally's with maybe 40-50 checkpoints and I can guarantee that my parking brake will be virtually useless by half way through the second day and I'll need to adjust it.

Tire kit and compressor is always worth having and hopefully if you've got it you'll never need it. I did a practice run using mine in the carpark of the tire shop before getting some new tires fitted (obviously letting the air out first:-)) - thought it would be better to practice than to have to work it out at the side of the road, at night, in the rain:-)

There's so much storage on a Spyder it's tempting to carry all sorts of stuff. My theory on roadside repairs is that I just need enough to get me to a place where I can do a proper repair so I don't carry much. My normal extra's are:
    • Multi-tool
    • Tire repair and compressor
    • Length of wire
    • Small roll of gaffer tape
    • Zip ties
    • Head torch
    • Some water - this is for me to drink as I'm probably going to be hot and bothered if I've broken down.
    • Small bottle of oil - Only for longer trips. The Spyder does drink a little oil and often needs a top-up between services, though this improves as mileage increases. Worth checking your handbook on the oil checking process as it's slightly different from some other bikes.

Having said about travelling light I have to admit one of my panniers is filled with two gas cans. Open gas stations can be a problem here at night and it's not unusual to go further than the Spyders tank range between them.

Spyder Garage

I find I don't need to do much maintenance when on trips but the parking brake is the one thing that seems to be an issue. I do 48 hour endurance rally's with maybe 40-50 checkpoints and I can guarantee that my parking brake will be virtually useless by half way through the second day and I'll need to adjust it.

Tire kit and compressor is always worth having and hopefully if you've got it you'll never need it. I did a practice run using mine in the carpark of the tire shop before getting some new tires fitted (obviously letting the air out first:-)) - thought it would be better to practice than to have to work it out at the side of the road, at night, in the rain:-)

There's so much storage on a Spyder it's tempting to carry all sorts of stuff. My theory on roadside repairs is that I just need enough to get me to a place where I can do a proper repair so I don't carry much. My normal extra's are:
    • Multi-tool
    • Tire repair and compressor
    • Length of wire
    • Small roll of gaffer tape
    • Zip ties
    • Head torch
    • Some water - this is for me to drink as I'm probably going to be hot and bothered if I've broken down.
    • Small bottle of oil - Only for longer trips. The Spyder does drink a little oil and often needs a top-up between services, though this improves as mileage increases. Worth checking your handbook on the oil checking process as it's slightly different from some other bikes.

Having said about travelling light I have to admit one of my panniers is filled with two gas cans. Open gas stations can be a problem here at night and it's not unusual to go further than the Spyders tank range between them.
    Thank you for the list. I have already started ordering stuff from it. Like you said I rather have it and never need to use it then the opposite!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by billybovine View Post
    They are not under the seat on a GS.
    2018 F3 Ltd. , Black/Dark

Spyder Garage

I just purchased a 2008 GS SM5 for my wife. I also don't think that the OEM Tool Kit is there, but will look again. The stock tool kit is also pretty minimal, so I would like to put together a comprehensive tool kit that includes all of the items that I would need in for a road-side repair. For space, weight, and cost, I only want to gather the items that are necessary. I've read your posts, but still need advice.

What sizes of metric Open & Closed End Wrenches should I have?
    Are other Torx Bits needed, besides the T30?
    What metric Allen Wrench Bits are needed?
    Is it advisable to have metric Sockets? If yes, what sizes?
    What size is the Spark Plug Socket?

I really appreciate your advice and help.

Spyder Garage

The tool roll that came with my Spyder was just about useless for anything other than a joke. I got a good tool roll from Amazon, put 3/8 ratchet, sockets, couple extensions, 4 or 5 of most common sockets in metric and SAE, and 4 or 5 or the most common sizes of wrenches. Pair of channel locks, pair of vise grips. It is not real heavy and rolls up fairly small. A good tool roll will have a zipper pocket to hold sockets and small parts. Has enough tools to work on just about anything you run across for emergency repairs. It won't fit under the seat where the OEM tool roll was, but doesn't take up much room in the frunk. That and a CO2 tire plug kit just about covers most emergency repairs. Electrical tape, maybe a few small fasteners. I got a set of hex, torx, and screwdriver bits for the socket set that fit 1/4 magnetic socket. Don't need to carry screwdrivers or nut drives. PDF owners manual and Shop Manual on my cell phone.

Yeah, I carry both Metric and SAE tools in my vehicles. Never know when you might need to change fan belt, thermostat, or some other minor repair that requires SAE.
    2019 F3-S , Black & Silver

Spyder Garage

Good torx kit is recommended
    2009 GS SE5 , Red (Ferrari Red :) )

Spyder Garage

Thank you Gwolf and Haikanko. I was hoping for very specific sizes for Open End/Box End, Sockets, Torx, Allen, and Spark Plug wrenches. I could buy a whole set of each type of wrench, and maybe find that there are no fasteners on the 2008 GS SM5 for many of the tools that I'm carrying, and then also find that I still don't have one that is needed.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by TomRobinson View Post
    Thank you Gwolf and Haikanko. I was hoping for very specific sizes for Open End/Box End, Sockets, Torx, Allen, and Spark Plug wrenches. I could buy a whole set of each type of wrench, and maybe find that there are no fasteners on the 2008 GS SM5 for many of the tools that I'm carrying, and then also find that I still don't have one that is needed.
    Metric 8, 10, 12, 14, SAE 3/8, 7/16, 1/2, 9/16, and a small adjustable for the size you need and don't have.
    2019 F3-S , Black & Silver