Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Color Dilemma

Spyder Garage

Default Color Dilemma

Pretty sure that a RT Limited is in my future, taking the course for my license 3/31 which is earliest possible time and will be seriously looking from that point forward. Just in time for summer.

My dilemma is with the color, in looking at 2016 & 2017 the only color that I would buy is the red. Red is not available on the 2017's and who knows if there will be a red 2016 available in 3+ months.

Is custom painting one a viable option? For those who have gone this route, what can I expect with regards to $$$ as well as results?

Would a certain base color be a better candidate to be painted.

Could go the wrap route, saw some interesting wraps by CreatorX but the idea of trying to apply decals over an entire RT is about as appealing as going to the dentist.

Would love to hear input from those who have gone the painted route or the wraps route or a combination of both really. I did a search for "Custom Paint" on the forums and saw some really interesting ideas.

Thanks, Dan
    2016 RT Limited , Black

Spyder Garage

What color is your preference, whether any model year or if resprayed?

Spyder Garage

Red for 2016, fi I repainted I'd go with a green simply cause have not seen many or go with a copper

Sent from my SM-N910R4 using Tapatalk
    2016 RT Limited - Hicklin Powersport (Des Moines, IA)

BaJaRon Swaybar, Custom Painted (Sue Hopper), Dashmount, Dongle - BRP, FOBO Tire Monitoring System, Lidlox, Magic Mirror Mounts , Safety Light Package,
    Wide-Vu Mirrors, Hopnel Saddlebag Liners, Saddlebag Nets, F$ Tall Boy Windshield (without Vent)

Odds & Ends
    Ron Bandy Motorcycle Driving Course - ronbandy.com
    1000A Battery Pack, Air Pack, Black Dymond Detailer
    2016 RT Limited , Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Tyris View Post
    Red for 2016, fi I repainted I'd go with a green simply cause have not seen many or go with a copper

If you're interested in copper, how about the Cognac color that was available only in 2014? Is that "coppery" enough for you?
    Or are you looking for something a bit darker?
    Trb-- (Roger)

2014 Cognac STL:Ultimate Seat, Nelson Rigg Tail Pack, Nelson Rigg RS/ST Half Cover, TL fender lights, Squared Away Laser Alignment, BajaRon sway bar and links, Akropovic Sport Silencer
    2022 White Pearl F3T
    Gone but not forgotten: 2019 F3S Special Series Liquid Titanium

Spyder States Visited

Spyder Garage

If you respray, ask your painter if the color you are choosing needs a certain underlay for best vibrance.

Some but not all paints need this.

As an example, if it will be a metalflake green, metailc silver may be the best to topcoat over, whereas a deep red may prefer black.

Copper probably needs silver.

FWIW, I really liked the silver my Dad had sprayed on his 1936 Mercedes. Silver like nothing else I have seen, supposedly original color match.

Spyder Garage

Default Color choice

Howdy. I am here to help.

A few miles south of you, there is a lady in Eastern Iowa who does custom paint jobs for motorcycles. I have read her posts on SpyderLovers. Her name might be Sue Harper.

Someone on the forum knows who she is and how to contact her. Or you just might ryde about an hour south.

JOHN

Test message.

2016 Spyder RT

Spyder Garage

Pretty sure that a RT Limited is in my future,

My dilemma is with the color,

Is custom painting one a viable option?

Would love to hear input from those who have interesting ideas.

Thanks, Dan
    Dan, Dan, Dan...

Why waste your time trying to decide on a color? When it's time to pull the trigger, then make the decision. When you're ready to buy, you'll find a color you like. We all do.
    2020 Chalk, RT Limited, Dark and matching RT622 trailer and BRP hitch. BRP Drivers Backrest, Auxiliary Light, Garmin Zumo XT, GPS Support, RT Rear Panel and Travel Cover. Spyderpops LEDs on fenders, mirrors, saddlebags, top case and RT rear panel. Spyderpops Rock Guard. BajaRon Swaybar, Wolo Bad Boy horn, Freedom Windshield, Elka Shocks.
    2020 RT Limited , Chalk

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

none of the colors appealed to me either that is why I bought a black Rt limited. I used the black base color for a wrap.Wrap is cheaper than paint.the wrap can be removed when you sell your spyder.That way your buyers wont be limited to your taste in wraps.
    DSCN6067.jpg

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Trbayth View Post
    If you're interested in copper, how about the Cognac color that was available only in 2014? Is that "coppery" enough for you?
    Or are you looking for something a bit darker?
    I've seen that color and like it, but if repainting would look for something unavailable

BaJaRon Swaybar, Custom Painted (Sue Hopper), Dashmount, Dongle - BRP, FOBO Tire Monitoring System, Lidlox, Magic Mirror Mounts , Safety Light Package,
    Wide-Vu Mirrors, Hopnel Saddlebag Liners, Saddlebag Nets, F$ Tall Boy Windshield (without Vent)

Odds & Ends
    2016 RT Limited , Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Air Force PAO View Post

A few miles south of you, there is a lady in Eastern Iowa who does custom paint jobs for motorcycles. I have read her posts on SpyderLovers. Her name might be Sue Harper.

Someone on the forum knows who she is and how to contact her. Or you just might ryde about an hour south.

JOHN
    Thanks will look for her

Odds & Ends
    2016 RT Limited , Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

JOHN
    Sue Hopper doesn't just do custom paint jobs (repainting the panels) but she's a real artist and paints whatever you'd like on your Spyder.

To the OP, I can't remember the figures but I talked with a lady who had her RT repainted and it was expensive. The issue is the labor intensive work just disassembling and then reassembling the panels. It's not like painting a car where you just have to mask off the chrome and glass.
    PrairieSpyder (Patti)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Copperman View Post
    Dan, Dan, Dan...

Why waste your time trying to decide on a color? When it's time to pull the trigger, then make the decision. When you're ready to buy, you'll find a color you like. We all do.
    I have time to waste and want to have a backup plan.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marker View Post
    none of the colors appealed to me either that is why I bought a black Rt limited. I used the black base color for a wrap.Wrap is cheaper than paint.the wrap can be removed when you sell your spyder.That way your buyers wont be limited to your taste in wraps.
    DSCN6067.jpg

Odds & Ends
    2016 RT Limited , Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Marker View Post
    DSCN6067.jpg
    Looks good, black with an accent color painted or wrapped would be a good option. One post I was reading referred to a black spyder at night as the batmobile in stealth mode

Odds & Ends
    2016 RT Limited , Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by PrairieSpyder View Post
    Sue Hopper doesn't just do custom paint jobs (repainting the panels) but she's a real artist and paints whatever you'd like on your Spyder.

To the OP, I can't remember the figures but I talked with a lady who had her RT repainted and it was expensive. The issue is the labor intensive work just disassembling and then reassembling the panels. It's not like painting a car where you just have to mask off the chrome and glass.
    Yeah, but that adds another option for me and opens the 3rd door and that is moving down from the limited to the rts. Don't care too much for the chome and the suitcase, like the gps but can kind of work around that.

Painted I end up with a very unique machine, paint it green, have her do a dragon theme. Outstanding!

Odds & Ends
    2016 RT Limited , Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

JOHN
    Do you mean Sue Hopper? I know her from the Girls on Spyders Facebook group.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

There's a dealership up by me, that has had a bunch of Spyders custom painted...
    I talked to the owner (Tom) about it 3 years ago. At that time: he said that custom painting ran about $2000.
    Buy the bike that you like, and the color won't matter to you.
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

If you want RED go to someone in our area that does WRAPS. Can even add pin strips or whatever else you want.
    Will be a lot less expensive and last longer then paint.

AJ

Pretty sure that a RT Limited is in my future, taking the course for my license 3/31 which is earliest possible time and will be seriously looking from that point forward. Just in time for summer.

My dilemma is with the color, in looking at 2016 & 2017 the only color that I would buy is the red. Red is not available on the 2017's and who knows if there will be a red 2016 available in 3+ months.

Is custom painting one a viable option? For those who have gone this route, what can I expect with regards to $$$ as well as results?

Could go the wrap route, saw some interesting wraps by CreatorX but the idea of trying to apply decals over an entire RT is about as appealing as going to the dentist.

Would love to hear input from those who have gone the painted route or the wraps route or a combination of both really. I did a search for "Custom Paint" on the forums and saw some really interesting ideas.

Thanks, Dan

2014 RT-S
    Akrapovic Exhaust & Cat Bypass
    Bajaron Sway Bar w/links / Sena SM-10/Garmin 660
    Comfort Seat w Adjustable Backrest
    Decals by Purple Harley / Magic Strobe
    Kuryakyn Black Widow Pegs Rivco Highway Brackets
    Rivco Trunk Mounted Double Flag Holder
    FOBO / Spyder Cuff / XM Radio w MC Antenna

2014 RT/S , Black

Spyder Garage

Dan, if you decide to do a wrap, check "WRAPMYSPYDER.COM" they are a vendor on this site, Pete can work with you, on what designs/ colors and type of wrap.

I know Joelthebiker has a wrap on his spyder, he has also posted video's of his farkles that he has done. Deanna

Current Spyder - 2023 F3 LTD Special Mineral Blue

Red LED NANO Saddlebag Marker Lights with Full Illumination
    Sequential Fender LED'S (Amber/Red) with Safety Reflector
    Dual Power Plate (12 V & USB ports)
    Gremlin Bell
    Rear Trunk Organizer (4 holders, 2 Elastic Holders)
    Lamonster "Top Cuff" with adjustable drink Holder
    SpyderPops Missing Guard Belt
    Console Accent Trim (Carbon Fiber Domed Black)
    Ultimate F3 Floorboards
    Front Fairing Service Access Door Covers (Carbon Fiber Doomed Black)
    Sway Bar with Links
    Rolo Laser Alignment
    Half Cover
    A-Arm Daytime Dual Color LED Running Lights with Blinker Module
    Hi-Viz DRL and Sequential Mirrors lights

Former Spyder - 2014 RTS SE6 Cognac SOLD
    2023 F3 LTD Special Series , N/A N/A Mineral Blue

Spyder Garage

Thanks, Dan
    I liked the red color so much that I traded in a black low mile 2014 for a red 2016 just for the color. The red is just beautiful

Spyder Garage

Ask your dealer what it would cost to have them order all the panels in red from BRP and then swap them out with the ones on the Spyder that you purchase.
    2021 Sea To Sky, 2020 RTL

Isn't it weird that in AMERICA our flag and our culture offend so many people......
    but our benefits don't?
    2015 F3S , White & Blue

Spyder Garage

Yeah, but that adds another option for me and opens the 3rd door and that is moving down from the limited to the rts. Don't care too much for the chome and the suitcase, like the gps but can kind of work around that.

Painted I end up with a very unique machine, paint it green, have her do a dragon theme. Outstanding!

My recommendation would make sure you get the color you want. I settled for a different color and am looking at trading it in for for my the one I wanted originally. I got caught up in the excitement and glad I got the Spyder but should have waited for the color I wanted.
    NEW 2016 RT-S Special Series Triple Black - ready for new toys to add
    OLD 2012 RT-S Pure Magnesium Metalic CB-Navigation-XM, Sway bar, Ultimate Tallboy

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by cmar157 View Post
    My recommendation would make sure you get the color you want. I settled for a different color and am looking at trading it in for for my the one I wanted originally. I got caught up in the excitement and glad I got the Spyder but should have waited for the color I wanted.
    That's kind of the way I feel as well, nearest dealer 10 miles away does not have what I want, the one 167 miles away does. I know dealers can trade inventories so perhaps can make it happen on there end.

Thanks

Odds & Ends
    2016 RT Limited , Black

Spyder Garage

That's kind of the way I feel as well, nearest dealer 10 miles away does not have what I want, the one 167 miles away does. I know dealers can trade inventories so perhaps can make it happen on there end.

Thanks

I would make the long trip and use the local dealer for service. You don't have to go to the original dealer for warranty and maintenance work.
    NEW 2016 RT-S Special Series Triple Black - ready for new toys to add
    OLD 2012 RT-S Pure Magnesium Metalic CB-Navigation-XM, Sway bar, Ultimate Tallboy

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by cmar157 View Post
    I would make the long trip and use the local dealer for service. You don't have to go to the original dealer for warranty and maintenance work.

Do dealers get pissy if you don't buy from them but bring in a vehicle purchased at another dealer? I do not know the math behind the business and this is just a wild ass guess but if I had to choose between selling new or say 10 years of service I'd think you'd make more money on the service. Add on the add-ons, helmets, gloves, shirts, belt buckles and other stuff I think the service aspect is where the money is. I'm just guessing.
    2016 RT Limited , Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Do dealers get pissy if you don't buy from them but bring in a vehicle purchased at another dealer? I do not know the math behind the business and this is just a wild ass guess but if I had to choose between selling new or say 10 years of service I'd think you'd make more money on the service. Add on the add-ons, helmets, gloves, shirts, belt buckles and other stuff I think the service aspect is where the money is. I'm just guessing.
    Some do. I know Pitbull doesn't.
    PrairieSpyder (Patti)