Spyder Garage

Default Trailer and wiring harness question

We are finally biting the bullet and are going to buy a trailer and do a longer trip. I know there's been a lot of postings on the forum about the hitch/harness and trailer preferences. So I'm looking forward to some good counsel....
    I have found this trailer on craigslist for $450 and would like some opinions on two things:
    1. Is this a good deal?
    2. What type of wiring harness does my 2014 RT-L require? [any suggestions as to where I purchase?]

2012 Changzou Backpacker Trailer
    https://cleveland.craigslist.org/mpo/5905388499.html

Thanks in advance!

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Have the 2013 Changzou Trailer- piece of crap. Had to buy highway bearings and wheels plus a new light and wiring kit to make it safe on the road. Just got a notice from Harbor freight for a recall on the lights. Paint has already faded and rust popping all over. Never again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by rookieryder View Post
    We are finally biting the bullet and are going to buy a trailer and do a longer trip. I know there's been a lot of postings on the forum about the hitch/harness and trailer preferences. So I'm looking forward to some good counsel....
    I have found this trailer on craigslist for $450 and would like some opinions on two things:
    1. Is this a good deal?
    2. What type of wiring harness does my 2014 RT-L require? [any suggestions as to where I purchase?]

Thanks in advance!
    You get what you pay for.

You should look at the "Nomad" from Mini Trailer USA, a site sponsor. For the money, it's a pretty good trailer.
    2020 Chalk, RT Limited, Dark and matching RT622 trailer and BRP hitch. BRP Drivers Backrest, Auxiliary Light, Garmin Zumo XT, GPS Support, RT Rear Panel and Travel Cover. Spyderpops LEDs on fenders, mirrors, saddlebags, top case and RT rear panel. Spyderpops Rock Guard. BajaRon Swaybar, Wolo Bad Boy horn, Freedom Windshield, Elka Shocks.
    2020 RT Limited , Chalk

Spyder Garage

Look on some of the motorcycle camping websites for a good used trailer. There have also been BRP trailers for sale here at good prices. Motorcycle Touring Foundation on Delphiforums.com is good,so is craigslist. Also try CycleTrader in the trailer section.

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default WHAT POSTER #2 SAID

Quote Originally Posted by rookieryder View Post
    1. Is this a good deal?

Thanks in advance!
    For about $1250.00 you can get a brand new very high quality lightweight alum. trailer from a couple of different sellers, that have the same or larger capacity ( cu ft ) as BRP's which are $ 4000.00 + & don't have anywhere near the weight total ability because they are so heavy to begin with........jmho...... Mike

Very Active Member OverHillAndDale's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I agree that you can find reasonably priced used american-built trailers that you might be able to trust more. I have an Aluma that I bought used for $600, and it is virtually identical to a number of other aluminum "boxes". If you buy the trailer you mentioned, I'd replace the bearings first thing. Also, does this trailer have leaf springs or torsion suspension? (leaf springs mean the trailer has to sit over and axle and the center of gravity will probably be higher). How much does it weigh? 400 lb trailer (loaded) and a 40 lb tongue weight is the limit.

Most people have the BRP trailer hitch, although some people on this site have the Big Bike Parts harness. If your trailer requires a 4-pin harness go ahead and get the BRP (you'll have to buy a square 4-pin connector), if it requires 5 pins B.B.P. makes a good one.

Good luck.
    2020- RT Limited
    Chalk White, Can-Am rear passenger armrests, Comfort Seat, Grip puppies, RAM Cup Holders, Providence RAM Mount
    FOBO2 TPMS
    Aluma MCTXL trailer
    BRP hitch
    Big Bike Parts wiring harness
    Permanent Smile!!!

Spyder Garage

Your on the right track by doing your research here. There are a number of folks here who have been there done that and paid their dues. I have had a number of trailers that I thought would work for us and have settled on two. I pull a Aspen tent trailer and my wife pulls a dog trailer. When we don't take the dog we still use it as a Cargo trailer. I like the tent trailer as it gives us an option of camping or a hotel and stretches our traveling budget, and I like camping out as long as I'm not sleeping on the ground as I've had my share of that. There are some great trailers out there and they do make it easier for taking longer rides. We did the Red Rock rally last year at just a little over 3,000 miles and camped and did the hotel thing. We have over 50K miles pulling trailers and have had no major issues.
    Camping up on the Crest 4-19 001.jpg Red Rock 060.jpg i phone photos 120.jpg
    2014 RTL , Black Currant

Spyder Garage

Red face

This looks line the one I bought from Harbor Freight. It was model 66777. They listed MSRP of $750. Discounted it to $379. Then I found they had a 20% off coupon. Ended up paying just at $300.00 plus tax.

Took it home assembled it. Greased the bearings. Pulled it to Springfield for Spyderfest this past April. Not a problem one. Minimal impact on mileage.

Great deal for the $.

Bob Webb

Spyder Garage

Default Show Chrome

I bought the show chrome wiring harness. it was a very easy install. I did install a fuse block in the front under the panel and attached direct to the battery so as not to be connected to the computer in any way.

Spyder Garage

Default Show Chrome

I bought the show chrome wiring harness. it was a very easy install. I did install a fuse block in the front under the panel and attached direct to the battery so as not to be connected to the computer in any way.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by rwebb98 View Post
    This looks line the one I bought from Harbor Freight. It was model 66777. They listed MSRP of $750. Discounted it to $379. Then I found they had a 20% off coupon. Ended up paying just at $300.00 plus tax.

Took it home assembled it. Greased the bearings. Pulled it to Springfield for Spyderfest this past April. Not a problem one. Minimal impact on mileage.

Great deal for the $.

Bob Webb
    I have over 10K miles on mine. Same scenario. Clean and repack the bearings each summer with marine grease from Lowe's.

thehawk
    In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice ... in practice, however, that's just a theory.

Spyder Garage

Purchased a new BRP 2015 trailer for my 2014 RT Limited. A great trailer being so aerodynamic u barely notice it going down the highway. Very roomy but wish there was a place to add a spare tire & wheel. I do carry an extra tire inside.