Spyder Garage

Smile New Owner from Scone NSW Australia

Have just bought my first Spyder after having to leave Two wheels behind .
    Have taken delivery of a 2017 Blue F3-S SE6 .
    Fitting a handbrake (Cant use right foot )
    Shad side and top cases.
    Madstad dark screen.
    Two Brothers exhaust and cat bypass .
    First big ride will be tasmania at end of January 17.
    Cant wait,
    Doogie224

Very Active Member bodymanpainter's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

:congrats
    Welcome to the club! Enjoy and ride safe!
    Toby
    2020 RTL

Spyder Garage

Default CONGRATZ

SOUNDS LIKE A WINNER YOU HAVE THERE.....
    ENJOY YOUR 1st RIDE, AND DO IT SAFELY....
    DAN P
    EASLEY, SC, USA
    SPYD3R

Spyder Garage

2010 RTSM5

2010 RTSM5 , stock Stock Silver

SpyderLovers Sponsor
    Spyder Garage

Default Thanks from MadStad

Thank you for your purchase of the MadStad system. Have a Merry Christmas and Happy New Year from MadStad Eng.

Spyder Garage

Default Welcome. ..

See you have been around for a while..Glad you jumped in and congrats on the new ryde.. You are starting out with a great set up and will have an awesome trip come January....till then get comfrotable and enjoy the spyder world....
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

on your spyder andto the spyder web. Dale

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

and on your new Spyder. We have several SpyderLovers from down under.
    PrairieSpyder (Patti)

Spyder Garage

Welcome Doogie......that's a great trip you have selected for your first big one......hope you love riding the Spyder. I know I do, except for our bloody great potholes !

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited
    Setup for Tall & Big.... 200cm/6'7", 140kg/300lbs, 37"inleg.

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Ikon (Aussie) shocks all round.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Goodyear Duragrip 165/60 fronts (18psi) - provides extra 1/2” ground clearance.
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Welcome - might see you on the road as you go thru Victoria? Scone is a great riding area, your spyder will love it!

Good choice of bags - I am still waiting on the brackets for the shad panniers, trying to be patient...

Spyder Garage

and and Merry Christmas.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member SteveLaoyster's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

when you get a chance,
    AKA Jud Smales, Four Year Spyder Ryder!
    "Quando Omni Flunkus, Moritati"

The Critter 2016 RT-S
    Cat Bypass from Lamonster
    BajaRon Sway Bar
    Hella dual horns with relay
    BRP Hitch with trailer module
    Foam Grips
    Adjustable Air Deflectors
    Driver & Passenger Gel Pads in Seat
    Shorty antenna
    Ultraguard half cover
    Gremlin bell from my son
    Break Stripe Kit from Wrap My Spyder
    2016 RT-S , stock not yet Pearl White

Spyder Garage

Welcome here too Doogie!

Spyder Garage

Default Fingers Crossed

Thanks everyone ,
    As the Spyder salesman said " You are starting a new stage in your life"
    To Peteroz ,yeah the potholes , thats something to learn to dodge . But I bet the USA has them too.
    So far I have found the rear spring was a bit soft ( I am 105kg) and have bottomed out a few times .
    Give the back a jolt.
    Thats WITHOUT all the camping gear.
    Will post some pics of what we have done to the rear spring in time after I have tested it .
    I come from an Off Road Racing background so I now a bit about springs and suspension setup.
    The Madstad screen works a treat . I am glad I asked for advice on the forums before I spent my hard earned dollars.
    The Lamonster 3rd peg makes it a lot easier to get on with a short buggered leg.
    The quality of the Shad boxes is unbelieveable
    Now waiting for Two Brothers exhaust and Cat bypass pipe from the US.
    So a merry Christmas to all and thanks for the help and feedback.
    Cheers
    Doogie224

Spyder Garage

Default Stabiliser Bar

Quote Originally Posted by Peteoz View Post
    Welcome Doogie......that's a great trip you have selected for your first big one......hope you love riding the Spyder. I know I do, except for our bloody great potholes !

Pete
    Peteoz
    So I see you have fitted the stabiliser bar Pete , big change , to handling ?
    Mite look at it when I come back from Tassie.
    Dwindling funds Hahaha
    Cheers
    Doug

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by loisk View Post
    Welcome - might see you on the road as you go thru Victoria? Scone is a great riding area, your spyder will love it!

Good choice of bags - I am still waiting on the brackets for the shad panniers, trying to be patient...
    G'day Loisk
    I am making my own pannier brackets , almost finished . I am useing 20mm aluminium round bar.
    We will be travelling at the end of January via Khancoban Omeo Bairnsdale on way to the Spirit of Tassie Dock.
    Always trying to stay off major highways.
    Will be travelling with 2 old mates and youngest son. R1200GS,DL650 and Suzuki 1400 (Cant think what it is called)
    Might see you on the way
    Cheers
    Doogie224

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by DOOGIE224 View Post
    Peteoz
    So I see you have fitted the stabiliser bar Pete , big change , to handling ?
    Mite look at it when I come back from Tassie.
    Dwindling funds Hahaha
    Cheers
    Doug
    Yeah, it works very, very well for me, Doug, but everyone's different......
    I assume you bought your Spyder from "Uncle" Kevin?
    He told me that he didn't think that the Spyder needed the stiffer suspension, and there are a few on here that think the same. However, I had this constant feeling that I was going to spear off into the bushes on corners or on narrow cambered potholes roads, so I gave Ron's stabiliser bar a go. For me, the difference is astounding. The F3 feels far more planted on the road, and it has not impacted nanny at all. This was closely followed by Kuhmo fronts, which also improved my feeling of stability significantly......two great changes for me, but "softly, softly, catchee monkey" until you find what needs changing to suit your style. You'll notice a big difference once you mod your shocks to suit you. I was lucky that the F3-L came with the heavy duty shocks that work a treat for me......you're only a light weight

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Spyder Garage

Welcome and congrats.

Spyder Garage

[QUOTE=Peteoz;1211346]Yeah, it works very, very well for me, Doug, but everyone's different......
    I assume you bought your Spyder from "Uncle" Kevin?
    He told me that he didn't think that the Spyder needed the stiffer suspension, and there are a few on here that think the same. However, I had this constant feeling that I was going to spear off into the bushes on corners or on narrow cambered potholes roads, so I gave Ron's stabiliser bar a go. For me, the difference is astounding. The F3 feels far more planted on the road, and it has not impacted nanny at all. This was closely followed by Kuhmo fronts, which also improved my feeling of stability significantly......two great changes for me, but "softly, softly, catchee monkey" until you find what needs changing to suit your style. You'll notice a big difference once you mod your shocks to suit you. I was lucky that the F3-L came with the heavy duty shocks that work a treat for me......you're only a light weight

Yeah Peteoz,
    "Uncle Kevin's the one"
    A couple of years ago an older guy , on a Spyder , hit a pothole near Wingen and crashed .He died from the injuries .
    So Potholes is one thing to be careful of .
    But was on a ride from Scone to Ceduna SA and the wind was so bloody strong two riders actually got pushed into oncoming traffic and killed .
    So my point is there is always something out trying to get you. So the old potholes is just another one.
    Kevin also told me not to touch the suspension . He reckons it just puts stress somewhere else.
    How do you go with the electrics . I wanted to put another power outlet up front but Kevin said that the electrics are very touchy . Suggested I come streight from the battery and have it live all the time.
    Probably what I will do to run the phone.
    I want to travel up through your way , from Macleay Valley up . So will have to meet up when I make it up there.
    Another road I am trying to find out if its Spyder friendly is the "OLD" Grafton to Glen Innes road .
    Had planned to do that one on my R1200GSW until I had my leg problem 2 years ago . Just sold my Bimmer . Pretty sad parting.
    Thanks Pete
    Cheers
    Doug

Spyder Garage

Doggie,

Why don't you come to the Spyder Muster end of March 2017, There will be heaps of Spyders there and it's a great annual event. This year held in Handorf in South Auustralia.

Cheers, Ron (noboot)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by DOOGIE224 View Post
    Kevin also told me not to touch the suspension . He reckons it just puts stress somewhere else.
    How do you go with the electrics . I wanted to put another power outlet up front but Kevin said that the electrics are very touchy . Suggested I come streight from the battery and have it live all the time.
    Probably what I will do to run the phone.
    Cheers
    Doug
    Kevin is absolutely right, Doug. You really shouldn't touch the suspension, electrics, tyres etc !

However, and I am just generalising here, of course, .......many riders have made many long term changes to the above components with the only issues being a conflict with the Canbus?, usually with 3rd party gear that hasn't been tested on the Spyder.

Against Kevin's advice, I have added Lamonster's additional turn signals mounted on the mirrors and piggybacked off the wiring, Tricled's running lights for the suspension arms that run off the wiring, Tricled's additional brake lights that run off the wiring and Lamonster's power outlet that runs straight off the battery. The power outlet allows you to slip in a USB plug to charge while you are on the road, and you can remove the USB plug to plug in your battery tender while you're at home. I have had NO electrical conflicts, but make sure you buy only from vendors on here as they ensure it all works on the Spyder.

One thing I have done recently is buy a Neutrino controller from Tricled, which connects direct to the battery, and I now run all the added electrics (except for the brake leds) from that, including my battery tender(it has specific wiring for it).

That way, if there IS a problem, you can simply disconnect the Neutrino and say "there you go, Uncle Kevin"....if you can fit it in your budget, it's a brilliant piece of gear that removes any need for fuses, relays etc. It is controlled from your iPhone (not sure if they have a smartphone option though)

I am also unaware of anyone experiencing any kind of failures from suspension changes, stabilisers etc, and some have been running them for MANY years. I'm sure someone will chime in if they have seen issues.

I do believe that Uncle Kevin is simply toeing the company line and making sure he is not leaving himself open to litigation should he endorse a change that leads to catastrophic failure and associated costs for the company, or more importantly, himself. ......but that is just my theory, of course.

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited

HeliBars Handlebars
    Kenda Kanine rear.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

You do know there are three customer accessory circuits just waiting for your usb or cig lighter socket - one in frunk one under left panel (the one with the safety info) and one under pillion seat - so easy to add for the cost of a socket!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by loisk View Post
    You do know there are three customer accessory circuits just waiting for your usb or cig lighter socket - one in frunk one under left panel (the one with the safety info) and one under pillion seat - so easy to add for the cost of a socket!
    Thanks Lois......I do know about them, but the one in the F3 frunk is soooooo short it's nearly impossible to connect anything to it.....I was using the one under the left panel for Lamonster's mirror indicator/running lights until I turned off the running lights as the yellow was very distracting of a night, so it was no longer required, and the one under the seat was going to be used for the heater in my Daylong seat until I saw the wire gauge. The heater is now going to be run off one of my 20amp Neutrino fused/relayed connectors.

For just a socket charger, I agree completely that the left panel accessory wiring is the way to go......sorry, I should have thought to include that info for Doug ...

Pete
    Last edited by Peteoz; 12-23-2016 at 12:54 AM.
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited

HeliBars Handlebars
    Kenda Kanine rear.

Spyder Garage

hi doogie
    be sure and drop in as ill be home most of feb....triabunna on the east coast
    enjoy your new ride man

cheers russ

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by merlot View Post
    hi doogie
    be sure and drop in as ill be home most of feb....triabunna on the east coast
    enjoy your new ride man

cheers russ
    G'day Russ,
    I hope I do enjoy my new life on 3 wheels. Its gunna be different .
    We will be travelling up the East coast after 3 or 4 days around Hobart . We where in Tassie about 4 years ago .
    We didnt spend any time around Hobart back then . We should be at the seven mile beach cabin park for those 3 or 4 days.
    Just had a look at Triabunna and cant remember it so this time we will have a look.
    I will get your Mob number when we hit Tassie
    Cheers
    Doug