Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Newbie Wannabee

Spyder Garage

Default Newbie Wannabee

Closing in on first vehicle, RT Limited.

however, thinking that is the beginning and not the end of the purchase process so what do I really need to be looking for to get started.

What add-ons to the vehicle itself?
    What things are generally carried with you?

Gloves, helmets are given, what else is needed?

Dan
    2016 RT Limited , Black

Spyder Garage

Suggest reading the do's and don'ts thread below. It will answer a lot of your questions.

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...-Spyder-owners

Others will come on with additional helpful hints.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

2010 RTSM5

2010 RTSM5 , stock Stock Silver

Spyder Garage

oh man...we could all write a book. Carry anything you want. But believe this, if there is something you find
    you really need on the road, you won't have it. So, in that spirit, Trust in VISA, it's accepted everywhere.
    Flatlander, Navy Veteran, Widower
    Loved my 2014 RTS SE6 Pearl white
    but have a new love now,
    my 2017 RTS SE6 Champagne metallic (Champ)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

with akspyderman, read do and don'ts thread. Add ons are a personal choice. I have a '16 RTS and haven't many add ons. I've added a drink holder, rear trunk liner, saddlebag and trunk cargo nets. Besides helmet and gloves, I usually carry a jacket and rain suit. Dale
    Last edited by d.o.spyder-rts; 12-20-2016 at 05:29 PM.

Spyder Garage

Default Ahhhh....

Start with the getting aquainted with your roadster. All the rest comes naturally. Once you are comfortable and venture further out you can add the things to carry with you and the 1,2,3 farkeling steps.....safety, comfort and bells and whistles...Welcome to our world....
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Even in Virginia, in the summer, I never ever leave without my electric vest stashed on the bike.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Do you have any experience riding ATVs or snowmobiles?
    The Spyders feel pretty comparable to them, and NOT much at all like a typical motorcycle.
    Read the "Do's and Don'ts" thread, and don't hesitate to ask questions!
    As far as what to buy: Helmet, gloves, and a decent jacket are the starting point. Get yourself some "Saddle-Time", and you'll start to develop your own list quickly!

And remember to have lots of fun!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Tyris View Post

however, thinking that is the beginning and not the end of the purchase process so what do I really need to be looking for to get started.

Dan
    Dan, owners manual with DVD, B.E.S.T warranty id card, Trailer lock. Deanna

Current Spyder - 2023 F3 LTD Special Mineral Blue

Red LED NANO Saddlebag Marker Lights with Full Illumination
    Sequential Fender LED'S (Amber/Red) with Safety Reflector
    Dual Power Plate (12 V & USB ports)
    Gremlin Bell
    Rear Trunk Organizer (4 holders, 2 Elastic Holders)
    Lamonster "Top Cuff" with adjustable drink Holder
    SpyderPops Missing Guard Belt
    Console Accent Trim (Carbon Fiber Domed Black)
    Ultimate F3 Floorboards
    Front Fairing Service Access Door Covers (Carbon Fiber Doomed Black)
    Sway Bar with Links
    Rolo Laser Alignment
    Half Cover
    A-Arm Daytime Dual Color LED Running Lights with Blinker Module
    Hi-Viz DRL and Sequential Mirrors lights
    Marinco 12Volt Power Receptacle with polarized leads & slide lock
    Show chrome Trunk Shock

Former Spyder - 2014 RTS SE6 Cognac SOLD
    2023 F3 LTD Special Series , N/A N/A Mineral Blue

Spyder Garage

Some good info here & in that "Do's & Don't's" thread Tyris, but once you've got your Spyder, as others have suggested, the best thing you can do for yourself is to get some saddle time on a range of roads/under different conditions before you start deciding on what's essential & what would be 'nice to have' for you or spending $$ on things that you might change your mind about later!!

Many of us have gone for a better swaybar & proper tires, but some feel OK with the stock gear, & that's gonna hafta be your call, no-one else can reall decide for you - that aside, ryding for a bit on tbe stock gear really will highlight the significant improvement that either/both can be over the std stuff!!

Then you can start looking at all the other 'smart to have' improvement gear like Noboot's replacement windscreen arm & other similar innovative improvements before moving on to the 3steps of farkling & the farkles that will make your RT uniquely yours &/or may take your fancy!!

But get some ryde time first & work out what's most important to you!!
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 12-20-2016 at 08:24 PM.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

I was told by a mechanic the only tool you need to carry is a bottle opener. So you can open your beer while waiting for the tow truck. Seriously I'm new to spyders and have had no problems to date

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Dan
    Hi, Dan, and

As others have said, read the Do's and Don'ts thread. Hang out here for a while to get some ideas of extras you can choose from. But wait till you get the Spyder to decide for yourself what's most important.

I'd also suggest attending SpyderFest at the end of April in Springfield, Mo to get lots of ideas and meet many Spyderlovers.
    PrairieSpyder (Patti)

Spyder Garage

Default Safety

When I bought my 14 RT this summer, the dealer is located in the middle of a lot of traffic, I had one of the employees drive the bike home for me, since I was not accustom to the bike. It was late evening just before dark and I noticed the bike was not very visible. The employee happened to work in the parts department. (Hmm) LOL. We talked abit and he gave me a lot of pointers that helped a lot. I mentioned to him about visibility, he suggested the high visibility kit from TricLED, with the turn signal kit. The kit replaces the fender yellow and red reflectors and saddlebag red reflectors with LEDs. Added an upper brake light. Ordered it the next morning. Really lights up the bike.

At a minimum I suggest clothing with High visibility colors and reflective parts.

BE VISIBLE TO OTHERS.

Just my 2 cents.
    2018 White F3 Limited

Spyder Garage

Yeah, I do not have any experience with motorcycles so a bit behind the curve, I just walked into a dealer and sat down on one and said to myself I can do this!!!

I'm somewhat frustrated by the process, can't test drive cause I don't have a license, can't get a license cause I don't have one. Not gonna drop 25-30K on something I think I might like.

So now got to wait until 3/31 in order to take the motorcycles after class so that I can get a motorcycle license to test drive.

I can understand from dealer point of view but still sucks.

To me adding more lighting to the back to heighten visablity seems a priority. I kind of thought decals might add to the visablity. Think the chrome will actually add a bit as well

I didn't care for any of the 2017 colors. I thought the red from 2016 looked sharp and kind of stood out visually, but that's just me. Fellow at the dealer recommended a headlight that nearly strobed, not sure about that.

The bright colored jacket seemed like a good idea, would have just assumed black.

Rain suit idea makes sense.

Will check out the dos and don't I'm sure that will add to my overload.

Thanks all.
    2016 RT Limited , Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BUZZARD II View Post
    Even in Virginia, in the summer, I never ever leave without my electric vest stashed on the bike.
    Electric vest as in for heat or does it light up like Robert Redford in the Electric Horseman?
    2016 RT Limited , Black

Spyder Garage

Default Have fun!

I always carry rain gear. It comes in handy on rainy days and cold days for more wind protection. I have also used the jacket to cover my handle bars/components/part of the seat at times..

On trips esp in summer I also carry windsheild cleaner/microsoft clothes.

I like my backrest... but passenger size should be considered... I bought thick one and now If I am the passenger ( hasn't happened yet ) It will have to be taken off for me to fit 😟. In that respect I put the extra tools needed for that option with too...

Earplugs. For some reason there is a lot of noise for me. Different helmets I wear changes the noise/buffeting noise...

A vest. Hopefully the vest I got will help prevent my shirt from blowing up in the wind... One story involved me in the rain (brief rain burst on a hot day... no need for rain gear) and the wind during rush hour going through a busy intersection... I could feel shirt blowing up but couldn't take hands off handlebars at that moment... I think I "flashed" everyone in the intersection that day...

A big smile! Wait... that can't be stopped .

Spyder Garage

I wasn't sure I would like it either before the BIG investment so I found a three wheel class and rode for two days to help with the decision. I loved it and still love it. It was so much fun and I met folks to ride with. WIN, WIN, WIN.....
    2019 F3T , Blue

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Marcy View Post
    I wasn't sure I would like it either before the BIG investment so I found a three wheel class and rode for two days to help with the decision. I loved it and still love it. It was so much fun and I met folks to ride with. WIN, WIN, WIN.....
    To me the social aspect of getting together with several people for a ride is part of the allure of purchasing one

Sent from my SM-N910R4 using Tapatalk
    2016 RT Limited - Hicklin Powersport (Des Moines, IA)

BaJaRon Swaybar, Custom Painted (Sue Hopper), Dashmount, Dongle - BRP, FOBO Tire Monitoring System, Lidlox, Magic Mirror Mounts , Safety Light Package,
    Wide-Vu Mirrors, Hopnel Saddlebag Liners, Saddlebag Nets, F$ Tall Boy Windshield (without Vent)

Odds & Ends
    Ron Bandy Motorcycle Driving Course - ronbandy.com
    1000A Battery Pack, Air Pack, Black Dymond Detailer
    2016 RT Limited , Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Paula View Post

One story involved me in the rain (brief rain burst on a hot day... no need for rain gear) and the wind during rush hour going through a busy intersection... I could feel shirt blowing up but couldn't take hands off handlebars at that moment... I think I "flashed" everyone in the intersection that day...
    A big smile! Wait... that can't be stopped .
    i refuse to believe this story unless you have photos to prove it, Paula
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited
    Setup for Tall & Big.... 200cm/6'7", 140kg/300lbs, 37"inleg.

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Ikon (Aussie) shocks all round.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Goodyear Duragrip 165/60 fronts (18psi) - provides extra 1/2” ground clearance.
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Spyder Garage

Yeah, I do not have any experience with motorcycles so a bit behind the curve, I just walked into a dealer and sat down on one and said to myself I can do this!!!

I'm somewhat frustrated by the process, can't test drive cause I don't have a license, can't get a license cause I don't have one. Not gonna drop 25-30K on something I think I might like.

So now got to wait until 3/31 in order to take the motorcycles after class so that I can get a motorcycle license to test drive.

To me adding more lighting to the back to heighten visablity seems a priority. I kind of thought decals might add to the visablity. Think the chrome will actually add a bit as well

I didn't care for any of the 2017 colors. I thought the red from 2016 looked sharp and kind of stood out visually, but that's just me. Fellow at the dealer recommended a headlight that nearly strobed, not sure about that.

The bright colored jacket seemed like a good idea, would have just assumed black.

Thanks all.
    Go here to get trained, cant go wrong if anything like my teachers down here

http://www.msf-usa.org/brc.aspx

2013 STL SE5 BLACK CURRANT
    SpyderPop's: LED bumpskid
    SmoothSpyder: dualmode back rest
    T r * * LED:foam grip covers, Tricrings, FenderZ,
    brake light strips, wide vue mirrors
    Rivico SOMA modulation brake leds
    sawblade mowhalk fender accents
    minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack
    GENSSI ELITE LED H4 headlights
    FLO (Frunk Lid Organizer)
    BRP fog lights, trailer hitch
    SENA 20S EVO
    2013 STL , Stock Stock Black currant

Spyder Garage

Thanks all.
    Come to South Carolina. You only have to have a regular drivers lisence here to drive a Spyder :-) Sorry for your delima... that is a bummer!

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Spyder Garage

Well its giving me time to do more research, looked at Honda Goldwing Trikes today. They may be above what I wish to spend, even the used ones.

Taking the motorcycle course for license on 3/31 so now I wait and learn.

If the test drives go well and enjoy the ride will look for 2016 rt limited, just worried that in 3 months they will be hard to find. If so, I wait for used.

Sent from my SM-N910R4 using Tapatalk
    2016 RT Limited - Hicklin Powersport (Des Moines, IA)

BaJaRon Swaybar, Custom Painted (Sue Hopper), Dashmount, Dongle - BRP, FOBO Tire Monitoring System, Lidlox, Magic Mirror Mounts , Safety Light Package,
    Wide-Vu Mirrors, Hopnel Saddlebag Liners, Saddlebag Nets, F$ Tall Boy Windshield (without Vent)

Odds & Ends
    Ron Bandy Motorcycle Driving Course - ronbandy.com
    1000A Battery Pack, Air Pack, Black Dymond Detailer
    2016 RT Limited , Black

Spyder Garage

Live, Love, and Ride! God Bless!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by TheCajun1957 View Post
    When I bought my 14 RT this summer, the dealer is located in the middle of a lot of traffic, I had one of the employees drive the bike home for me, since I was not accustom to the bike. It was late evening just before dark and I noticed the bike was not very visible. The employee happened to work in the parts department. (Hmm) LOL. We talked abit and he gave me a lot of pointers that helped a lot. I mentioned to him about visibility, he suggested the high visibility kit from TricLED, with the turn signal kit. The kit replaces the fender yellow and red reflectors and saddlebag red reflectors with LEDs. Added an upper brake light. Ordered it the next morning. Really lights up the bike.

At a minimum I suggest clothing with High visibility colors and reflective parts.

BE VISIBLE TO OTHERS.

Just my 2 cents.
    The very first issue should be visibility. High visibility clothes, helmet, gloves, etc. It is amazing how invisible you are to other drivers even when you are on a large bike like the Spyder.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

"I also carry windsheild cleaner/microsoft clothes."

Personally, I prefer apple clothes - the microsoft clothes blue screen of death scares me too much.

Sent from my R1 HD using Tapatalk