Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default ISCI handbrake problem

Hi, I'm paraplegic so have the ISCI handbrake kit fitted to my F3-S. It's a very heavy lever to pull compared to a traditional motorcycle brake lever which I guess is due to the slave cyclinder first having to overcome the foot brake return spring and during the course of the summer I was finding that I was getting an increasing amount of pain in the base of my thumb when using the brake.
    so after visiting the doctor it looks like I've got arthritis in my thumb which has got very painful.
    I can't bare the thought of not being able to ride so I wondering if anyone had any thoughts or suggestions on how I could make the brake action lighter to use

Spyder Garage

Hi rollin sean, I'm not really going to be much help re making the handbrake action easier, but having 'damaged' both hands & wrists somewhat quite a few years ago & now suffering fairly bad arthritis in both & sporting a prosthetic joint in my right thumb, I think I might understand a little of your difficulties & pain problem!!

Something that's helped me a whole lot beyond the assistance of cruise control has been the installation of a placcy (well, it's probably polypropylene or something similar really!) 'crampbuster' style wrist rest, so my thumb doesn't have to work anywhere near as hard just to hang on & operate the throttle even before you get to flick the cruise on, & I can now ride hundreds of miles at a time with little discomfort or thumb/hand/wrist issues. Something similar may well help you too, even if it doesn't actually ease the operation of the brake; but it will lessen the stresses imposed on your hand & so is likely to reduce the pain build-up & possibly leave you more of what strength & effort you can muster to use for the brake when you need it!

The unit I have is entirely 'plastic' in its construction, basically just an open circle the dia of the throttle grip with one end projecting & flaring into a 'heel of my palm' sized plate that I can rest on & use to operate the throttle. The springy material allows the open circle to be expanded & slipped over the grip where it sits firmly mounted, altho it will spring open enough to let it rotate into the correct position for support; it still lets the heat from the heated grips thru as & when needed; the position can be changed simply & easily with just a finger lifting the rest bit in order to expand the circle & allow it to rotate rotate it past the closed throttle position & around the grip into the new or desired position; and it cost just a few $$ but has lasted more than 3 years & 30,000 miles so far!! It's not the 'spring steel' Crampbuster of old that was a 'set & never move again' unit (until it snapped!); nor the velcro mounted Throttle Rest unit that invariably started slipping in a short while - the polyprop construction has resolved all the issues those earlier versions had; and IMO, these are waaaaayyy cheaper & arguably 'more versatile' than any of the alternatives, including the grip replacement or bolt on style rests or throttle locks like the Kuryakin(? sp?) units.

Possibly, one of these devices or similar http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/like/2724...&ul_noapp=true would be worth a try for you & your issues!
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 12-18-2016 at 06:34 PM.

Spyder Garage

Default ISCI handbrake problem

He's got and F3-S, so he's already got cruise control...
    I had horrible numbness in my hands with my old GS. A Throttlemeister solved that. Now RT and F3 have had cruise so that's even better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Firefly; 12-21-2016 at 07:47 PM.

Spyder #1 - 2008 GS SM5 Premier Edition #1977. RIP after 80,000 miles.
    Spyder #2 - 2012 RT SM5. Traded in after 24,000 miles.
    Spyder #3 - 2015 F3 SM6. Put 13,000 miles on and sold it.
    Spyder #4 - 2017 F3 SM6. Too good of a deal to pass up!

Spyder Garage

Have you talked to the mfg about it? Maybe they have a solution. The other thing is I had the "anchovy surgery on my right thumb from arthritis and it did wonders, no more pain. Its simple out patient surgery and took less than 2 weeks for full recovery.
    http://www.arthritis.org/living-with...ry-options.php
    My surgeon used a cadaver tendon rather than taking one of mine. I'd do it again in a heart beat.
    Bob S

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

since they use a Harley master cylinder you maybe able to use a reduced reach lever which will ease the use on your hand

Very Active Member cyclelover63's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Spyder Garage

i had spoken to the company about this a couple of years ago. i asked them if they could come up with a power assist for the hand brake. or even a way to incorporate it into the brake system on the bike. they said no to both.
    NO BIKE AT THIS TIME

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by cyclelover63 View Post
    Hello guys...I am new a have been following this since I joined. I have installed the very same setup from ISCI and like you said pricy but good engineering for bolt-on. I have a few comments myself and a question to, I would like to have the brake handle system on the left because I drive mostly with my left hand anyway. I have my Tahoe tricked out with a seat that picks me up in my wheelchair and puts me behind the wheel. I have heard that it's possible and get a left clutch from harley like the one in the kit. I was wondering how come you can't get the clutch kit from can am and used it with isci brake kit. Their standard drive with a clutch assembly would fit on the right model like my 2012 rs se5. I mean that I would not have to cut/trim the original handlebars. Wouldn't it connects up the same way? I have been told by isci that is possible to get the ones like it but a lefty from harley but you would have to cut about an inch to make it work. I have long fingers so I yet my hands around the right brake lever. The distance between the right and left levers is a lot and not sure if I can even pull it. Maybe a longer lever...not sure. But it still bugs me that you can't use can am spyder clutch lever with the isci kit and it would look factory plus have all the functions and features that come with the spyder. I hope this makes sense. I have a couple more questions but wrong topic.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by scadarick View Post
    Hello guys...I am new a have been following this since I joined. I have installed the very same setup from ISCI and like you said pricy but good engineering for bolt-on. I have a few comments myself and a question to, I would like to have the brake handle system on the left because I drive mostly with my left hand anyway. I have my Tahoe tricked out with a seat that picks me up in my wheelchair and puts me behind the wheel. I have heard that it's possible and get a left clutch from harley like the one in the kit. I was wondering how come you can't get the clutch kit from can am and used it with isci brake kit. Their standard drive with a clutch assembly would fit on the right model like my 2012 rs se5. I mean that I would not have to cut/trim the original handlebars. Wouldn't it connects up the same way? I have been told by isci that is possible to get the ones like it but a lefty from harley but you would have to cut about an inch to make it work. I have long fingers so I yet my hands around the right brake lever. The distance between the right and left levers is a lot and not sure if I can even pull it. Maybe a longer lever...not sure. But it still bugs me that you can't use can am spyder clutch lever with the isci kit and it would look factory plus have all the functions and features that come with the spyder. I hope this makes sense. I have a couple more questions but wrong topic.

Yes, that works. Or a Harley left side master cylinder, used on hydraulic clutches.
    to the OP, a lighter spring, no foot pedal, and an aluminum slat will solve your problem. Joe
    Joe Meyer

Dealer for the Outlaw/ROLO laser Alignment system

SpyderLovers Sponsor
    Spyder Garage

You guys should call Darrell or Jeff st ISCI and I'm sure they can help you.

2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderAnn01 View Post
    You guys should call Darrell or Jeff st ISCI and I'm sure they can help you.
    Jeff is the guy who helped me. Great guy. Maybe he might know something about brps clutch assembley. Would make a good brake system. It works fine on the right, but to me it is better on the left. My only concern about the left is the distance the lever sits on the handlebars.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Thanks for all your replies.
    I can't find an email address for ISCI on the website, has anyone got it?
    I thought about asking those guys about a possible solution but agree that a lighter foot pedal Spring would help if that's possible to change

SpyderLovers Sponsor
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Rollin sean View Post
    Thanks for all your replies.
    I can't find an email address for ISCI on the website, has anyone got it?
    I thought about asking those guys about a possible solution but agree that a lighter foot pedal Spring would help if that's possible to change
    jkranzusch@iscimsg.com

2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Thank you

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

I couldn't send an email as it returned saying the address doesn't exist?

SpyderLovers Sponsor
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Rollin sean View Post
    I couldn't send an email as it returned saying the address doesn't exist?
    I called there to get the email address but I will send a message to them on Facebook with a link to this thread.

2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

Default Handbrake questions

My email address is jkranzusch@iscimfg.com Let me know if I can help.
    Thanks,
    Jeff

Spyder Garage

Is it necessary to keep the foot pedal and spring installed? I know if others that cut the pedal right off. Not sure what they did with the spring.

Spyder #1 - 2008 GS SM5 Premier Edition #1977. RIP after 80,000 miles.
    Spyder #2 - 2012 RT SM5. Traded in after 24,000 miles.
    Spyder #3 - 2015 F3 SM6. Put 13,000 miles on and sold it.
    Spyder #4 - 2017 F3 SM6. Too good of a deal to pass up!

Spyder Garage

Just a follow-up to the hand brake kit from ISCI...I have done a complete brake pads front and back and now the bike stops on a dime...almost to good. I find myself stopping a little sooner than needed mainly because of engine braking. After using the brake handle on the right side instead of the left makes a little more sense to me now. Despite not having a clutch you still spend a lot of time on that paddle shifter with the left hand and that's a big part of the riding experience for me. I installed a mount from ISCI as well that filled the space on the left side handle bars like the hand brake kit did on the right side. I installed a powered usb port and mount for my iPhone. So far these kits and ingenuity have allowed me back on the road again....next move the gas fill out on the side and not under the seat...running low on gas is still an issue with refilling on my rides...my mechanic has to meet me at she'll or I get off at home until I get it refilled again. A small problem compared to this...getting me on a bike again.

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default GAS DOOR INSTAL INFO

Quote Originally Posted by scadarick View Post
    Just a follow-up to the hand brake kit from ISCI...I have done a complete brake pads front and back and now the bike stops on a dime...almost to good. I find myself stopping a little sooner than needed mainly because of engine braking. After using the brake handle on the right side instead of the left makes a little more sense to me now. Despite not having a clutch you still spend a lot of time on that paddle shifter with the left hand and that's a big part of the riding experience for me. I installed a mount from ISCI as well that filled the space on the left side handle bars like the hand brake kit did on the right side. I installed a powered usb port and mount for my iPhone. So far these kits and ingenuity have allowed me back on the road again....next move the gas fill out on the side and not under the seat...running low on gas is still an issue with refilling on my rides...my mechanic has to meet me at she'll or I get off at home until I get it refilled again. A small problem compared to this...getting me on a bike again.

PM sent about gas door if you want to do this ...... Mike

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Firefly View Post
    Is it necessary to keep the foot pedal and spring installed? I know if others that cut the pedal right off. Not sure what they did with the spring.

Surely the smart move would be to keep the foot pedal???

After all, the time may come when you want to sell your 'converted' Spyder, & not everyone wants/needs a hand brake, plus having it unmolested will help retain its re-sale value!

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by cruizr View Post
    My email address is jkranzusch@iscimfg.com Let me know if I can help.
    Thanks,
    Jeff
    Jeff, did you receive my email to see if you could help?
    Thanks
    Sean

Spyder Garage

Default Handbrake problem

Sean ,
    I sent you an email.
    Jeff

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

I was one of the first to get the Isci hand brake kits for the F3s and while I don't know if they have changed the design over time, mine has an adjustable lever for the brake. The thing that worked best on my F3 was the Baja Ron brake pads front and rear. Made all the difference and now my F3 stops on a dime with much less effort than when using the stock pads.