Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Solo trip advice

I'm planning a solo trip this summer and have begun putting an itinerary together. I don't mind riding alone so that's not an issue. I have the 622 trailer so I think I'm good on storage. Have a 3.5 gal fuelpax on order so that helps on gas issue. Planning to do hotels on the way up, and friends houses on the way home. I have credit card and small tool bag for repairs.
    Have between 250 and 450 miles for the majority of the day's total miles planned with a few days off in between. GPS is all set with AAA triptik as backup. iPhone has plenty of music along with Sirius to helmet.

My question is this, what am I forgetting, and what advice might some of you have that have done the longer solo trips offer.....

Not planning on smelling the roses, as I have allergies and I really enjoy the ride as much as the destination......
    2022 RT Limited Dark Hyper Silver
    2014 RT-S Pearl White
    2010 BRP 622 Trailer Pearl White

Spyder Garage

If you don't have a Spyder-Garmin GPS, make sure you print out the Can-Am dealership list found under Lamonster's Umbrella...You know.... just in case. ( should have said lists under state forums. I was unaware of a BRP list.)
    Last edited by PapaHotel; 12-18-2016 at 08:55 PM.

Spyder Garage

Hydration pack. Having completed an Iron Butt Qualifier several years ago, I highly recommend you use one.
    Also, make sure you get off the bike every 90 minutes to stretch your legs, even if just for a few minutes.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by PapaHotel View Post
    If you don't have a Spyder-Garmin GPS, make sure you print out the Can-Am dealership list found under Lamonster's Umbrella...You know.... just in case.
    I don't know what "Lamonster's Umbrella" is. But the dealer list can be loaded on any Garmin gps. No matter what model. The file is available on BRP's web site. Also for those that have an older version of the Can Am version of the Garmin gps. The most recent version of the dealer file is D2245000D.gpi. It replaces D2245000C or B.gpi. It should be located in the "poi" file folder on your gps.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

Sounds like you have it covered. You can always pick up any "incidentals" that you missed along the way. Enjoy your trip.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Spydercodes on your phone

Spyder Garage

Default Definitely

Quote Originally Posted by Jimboregon View Post
    Hydration pack. Having completed an Iron Butt Qualifier several years ago, I highly recommend you use one.
    Also, make sure you get off the bike every 90 minutes to stretch your legs, even if just for a few minutes.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk
    I typically try to stop each half tank to stretch and fill up. Good idea on keeping hydrated, I always keep a soft sided cooler of Gatorade in my side compartment and fill up my handlebar mount bottle at stops. I did notice that the plastic bottle warms up pretty quick once out of the cooler, anyone know of a good handlebar mounted option, like a yeti, that they have found keeps their drinks cold?
    2014 RT-S Pearl White

Spyder Garage

Carry medical id's with you. Let family/friends be able to track you.

Assortment of clothing cold/warm/hot, weather, rain gear riding gear.

Also a camera take pictures and post on this site. Deanna
    Last edited by Deanna777; 12-19-2016 at 06:26 PM. Reason: Added to post on 12/19/16 @ 6:25pm

Current Spyder - 2023 F3 LTD Special Mineral Blue

Red LED NANO Saddlebag Marker Lights with Full Illumination
    Sequential Fender LED'S (Amber/Red) with Safety Reflector
    Dual Power Plate (12 V & USB ports)
    Gremlin Bell
    Rear Trunk Organizer (4 holders, 2 Elastic Holders)
    Lamonster "Top Cuff" with adjustable drink Holder
    SpyderPops Missing Guard Belt
    Console Accent Trim (Carbon Fiber Domed Black)
    Ultimate F3 Floorboards
    Front Fairing Service Access Door Covers (Carbon Fiber Doomed Black)
    Sway Bar with Links
    Rolo Laser Alignment
    Half Cover
    A-Arm Daytime Dual Color LED Running Lights with Blinker Module
    Hi-Viz DRL and Sequential Mirrors lights

Former Spyder - 2014 RTS SE6 Cognac SOLD
    2023 F3 LTD Special Series , N/A N/A Mineral Blue

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

What do they call that thing? (A Spot Tracker?? )
    Karyl uses them; PM her for more information...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Good advice so far. I'd say relax and enjoy the trip.. take in the local eateries along the way... you'll get better food and support the small business instead of the big chains.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Spyder #1 - 2008 GS SM5 Premier Edition #1977. RIP after 80,000 miles.
    Spyder #2 - 2012 RT SM5. Traded in after 24,000 miles.
    Spyder #3 - 2015 F3 SM6. Put 13,000 miles on and sold it.
    Spyder #4 - 2017 F3 SM6. Too good of a deal to pass up!

Spyder Garage

Default GLIMPSE

DOWN-LOAD THE 'GLIMPSE' APP, OR SIMILAR APP, WAZE, etc... ALSO HAVE SOME OF YOUR FAMILY DO THE SAME, THIS WAY YOU CAN CONNECT WITH THEM EACH DAY, AND THEY CAN FOLLOW YOUR PROGRESS...
    BUY A 'WET-VEST'... IN HOT WEATHER (and you will be in some), A BOTTLE OF WATER JUST ISN'T ENOUGH, (however, always have water with you, even hot water is better than no water)... CYCLE GEAR HAS THEM, AND THEY ARE ON SALE RIGHT NOW... DON'T FORGET YOUR RAIN-GEAR...
    OUT WEST, (if that's where you are going), RIDE BY THE 'HALF-TANK RULE', WHEN YOU SEE THAT YOUR GAS TANK IS HALF WAY, LOOK FOR A GAS STATION... YOU'LL UNDERSTAND WHY ONCE YOU'RE OUT THERE...
    SUN-BLOCK, LOT'S OF IT... SUN GLASSES, REGARDLESS IF YOUR HELMET IS FITTED WITH A 'DROP-DOWN SCREEN'... CHAP-STIK, BUG SPRAY...
    SINCE YOU'LL BE PULLING A TRAILER, BASICALLY YOU HAVE NO RESTRICTIONS ON AMOUNT OF CLOTHING... BUT I WOULD RECOMMEND FOOT-WEAR: RIDING BOOTS, SNEAKERS & SLIPPERS...
    A SMALL BOTTLE OF WINDSHIELD CLEARER & A MICRO-CLOTH TO CLEAN YOUR WINDSHIELD...
    SEE YOU ON THE ROAD, ENJOY & RIDE SAFELY....
    DAN P
    SPYD3R

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Don't forget a spare key!

Very Active Member armyspydervet's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Brentc View Post
    I typically try to stop each half tank to stretch and fill up. Good idea on keeping hydrated, I always keep a soft sided cooler of Gatorade in my side compartment and fill up my handlebar mount bottle at stops. I did notice that the plastic bottle warms up pretty quick once out of the cooler, anyone know of a good handlebar mounted option, like a yeti, that they have found keeps their drinks cold?
    I used a Yeti cup on my handlebar on our way to SF. Kept my coffee hot in the mornings and my water cool in the afternoon. Get the lid with a straw. Makes it easy to drink from on the road. Good luck and stay safe!
    Chris

2016 F3-T SE6

Very Active Member armyspydervet's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Firefly View Post
    Good advice so far. I'd say relax and enjoy the trip.. take in the local eateries along the way... you'll get better food and support the small business instead of the big chains.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    NO MCDONALDS!!!!!
    Chris

2016 F3-T SE6

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

got Lamonts Bar mount holder and Cup holder used a cup from menards that was similar to Yeti worked fine..

I also mounted a small marine cooler to the 622 and cold water and healthy snacks came in handy too

Spyder Garage

Default iPhone find my friends app

Quote Originally Posted by Deanna777 View Post
    Carry medical id's with you. Let family/friends be able to track you. Assortment of clothing cold/warm/hot, weather, rain gear riding gear. Deanna
    Already covered there. My family all have iPhone devices and are all able to follow each other with the built in find my friends app. It's pretty cool and will fit the bill nicely on the trip.
    2014 RT-S Pearl White

Spyder Garage

Default Some good suggestions

Quote Originally Posted by SPYD3R View Post
    DOWN-LOAD THE 'GLIMPSE' APP, OR SIMILAR APP, WAZE, etc... ALSO HAVE SOME OF YOUR FAMILY DO THE SAME, THIS WAY YOU CAN CONNECT WITH THEM EACH DAY, AND THEY CAN FOLLOW YOUR PROGRESS...
    BUY A 'WET-VEST'... IN HOT WEATHER (and you will be in some), A BOTTLE OF WATER JUST ISN'T ENOUGH, (however, always have water with you, even hot water is better than no water)... CYCLE GEAR HAS THEM, AND THEY ARE ON SALE RIGHT NOW... DON'T FORGET YOUR RAIN-GEAR...
    OUT WEST, (if that's where you are going), RIDE BY THE 'HALF-TANK RULE', WHEN YOU SEE THAT YOUR GAS TANK IS HALF WAY, LOOK FOR A GAS STATION... YOU'LL UNDERSTAND WHY ONCE YOU'RE OUT THERE...
    SUN-BLOCK, LOT'S OF IT... SUN GLASSES, REGARDLESS IF YOUR HELMET IS FITTED WITH A 'DROP-DOWN SCREEN'... CHAP-STIK, BUG SPRAY...
    SINCE YOU'LL BE PULLING A TRAILER, BASICALLY YOU HAVE NO RESTRICTIONS ON AMOUNT OF CLOTHING... BUT I WOULD RECOMMEND FOOT-WEAR: RIDING BOOTS, SNEAKERS & SLIPPERS...
    A SMALL BOTTLE OF WINDSHIELD CLEARER & A MICRO-CLOTH TO CLEAN YOUR WINDSHIELD...
    SEE YOU ON THE ROAD, ENJOY & RIDE SAFELY....
    DAN P
    SPYD3R
    Some items I hadn't thought of Dan, thanks.
    2014 RT-S Pearl White

Spyder Garage

Default No cracker barrel

Quote Originally Posted by armyspydervet View Post
    NO MCDONALDS!!!!!
    Im OK with McDonalds, but that Cracker Barrel I don't know.........
    2014 RT-S Pearl White

Spyder Garage

Default Contigo

Quote Originally Posted by armyspydervet View Post
    I used a Yeti cup on my handlebar on our way to SF. Kept my coffee hot in the mornings and my water cool in the afternoon. Get the lid with a straw. Makes it easy to drink from on the road. Good luck and stay safe!
    I bought an aluminum Contigo water bottle at Walmart for about $10. Carries 20 oz. and keeps ice in the water all day long. I just refilled it at restaurants or rest stops and always carried extra water on the spyder anyway. Fits in Lamonts spydercuff water bottle holder. Has a flip-top that easily opens and closes. Comes in many colors. Just another option for hydration.

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default CHECK THIS THIS OF NAMES

Spyderlovers has/had a list of people who would offer assistance if you needed help ..... you may want copy their info as it pertains to your Route ........ jmho..... Mike .....Good Luck

Spyder Garage

Default Solo Trip Advise

Brentc, what is the destination? How long are you planning to be on the trip? I second the Spot Tracker, with a list of contacts loded anyone on the list can track your movements and if you have a problem a SOS signale can be sent out. We have Spot Trakers on our bikes, if the cell phone service is not available the Spot can get through. We also carry a DeLorme sat phone/locator, just in case.

Good Luck, check in with trip updates from time tp time.

Spyder Garage

Default Thanks for the reminder

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    Spyderlovers has/had a list of people who would offer assistance if you needed help ..... you may want copy their info as it pertains to your Route ........ jmho..... Mike .....Good Luck
    Will have the spydercodes app with me, so I'm good on the help list. Wouldn't leave home without it.
    2014 RT-S Pearl White

Spyder Garage

Default Tentatively Cape Spear in Newfoundland

Quote Originally Posted by Aracknoid View Post
    Brentc, what is the destination? How long are you planning to be on the trip? I second the Spot Tracker, with a list of contacts loded anyone on the list can track your movements and if you have a problem a SOS signale can be sent out. We have Spot Trakers on our bikes, if the cell phone service is not available the Spot can get through. We also carry a DeLorme sat phone/locator, just in case.

Good Luck, check in with trip updates from time tp time.
    Im looking at a two week trip ending up at Cape Spear in Newfoundland. I'll definitely make sure I'm in contact with the rest of the world through a couple different means.
    2014 RT-S Pearl White

Spyder Garage

Default NOVA SCOTIA

Quote Originally Posted by Brentc View Post
    Im looking at a two week trip ending up at Cape Spear in Newfoundland. I'll definitely make sure I'm in contact with the rest of the world through a couple different means.
    BRENT, NEWFOUNDLAND... ???
    WOW, HOPE YOU'LL BE GOING IN LATE JULY to EARLY AUGUST.... OTHERWISE, YOU MAY ENCOUNTER SNOW....

I'LL BE RIDING NOVA SCOTIA IN MID JULY.... LOOK FOR 2 F3's, WE'LL WAVE....
    DAN P
    SPYD3R

Spyder Garage

Default More stuff

Did not see a mention for tire repair kit and small compressor. Bought both at Harbor Freight for less than $50.00. I keep them on the bike all the time.

Have a GREAT and SAFE trip