Spyder Garage

Default First Oil Change 2013 ST-S SE at 2K miles

Having no idea what the service history is on my wife's bike I decided to play it safe and change the oil and filters on her ST. Oddly, at 2K miles, there was a fairly significant leak in what appears to be coming from the drain on the tank. I'll keep an eye on it and see if it comes back.

I did manage to change both drain plugs, with new washers, and using a torque wrench without breaking either of them. I must be incredibly lucky!

Photos:

Jim

2013 ST-S (wife's)
    2015 BMW R1200GS (mine)
    1981 Yamaha XS400 Scrambler Custom (mine)

Spyder Garage

IMO--best to err on the side of more frequent oil changes rather than the other option. When in doubt, change it out. The ST has an initial oil change at 600 miles and then every 4000 or so.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Default Well done...

A bit late for the first but the oil and filter look to have held up well... I would search out the newer filter with the mesh around it. They hold up better if going longer on changes. Many oils vary with when to change but motorcycles are different running the oil through the trans and clutch. BRP recommends 4,600 but most oils start braking down around 4,000. Looks like your good to go...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

I have never had any problem with the OEM drain plugs. But a lot of folks seem to for some reason.
    I see there is a crush washer stuck to the bottom of the oil tank in the picture. A double washer could be a source of your leak if it was not removed.
    Aluminium foil to keep the oil off the HCM cooling fins. Never seen that done before. Whatever works. I use an old rag stuffed under the filter and brake clean after.
    There is a lot of surface corrosion on the aluminium alloy parts. Your Spyder must spend a lot of time near the ocean?

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Chupaca View Post
    A bit late for the first but the oil and filter look to have held up well... I would search out the newer filter with the mesh around it. They hold up better if going longer on changes. Many oils vary with when to change but motorcycles are different running the oil through the trans and clutch. BRP recommends 4,600 but most oils start braking down around 4,000. Looks like your good to go...
    I changed it now because I didn't know if the original owner ever changed it. I got the kit from Baja Ron.
    Jim

2013 ST-S (wife's)
    2015 BMW R1200GS (mine)

Very Active Member Snowbelt Spyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by billybovine View Post
    I have never had any problem with the OEM drain plugs. But a lot of folks seem to for some reason.
    I see there is a crush washer stuck to the bottom of the oil tank in the picture. A double washer could be a source of your leak if it was not removed.
    Aluminium foil to keep the oil off the HCM cooling fins. Never seen that done before. Whatever works. I use an old rag stuffed under the filter and brake clean after.
    There is a lot of surface corrosion on the aluminium alloy parts. Your Spyder must spend a lot of time near the ocean?
    Nice catch about that washer. I see it now.

Doug

2023 RT Limited, RT 622, BUDS/BUD2 Megatech/Megatronic

”Freedom is not a loophole”

F4 Customs SWCV, Ultimate, Lidlox, Adjustable Side Vents, Leather Like Grips, SS Grills, Centramatic, Garmin XT2, BajaRon Original Sway Bar w/ Lamonster links, P238

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by billybovine View Post
    Nah, there was only one washer on each one.

I've been using the tinfoil trick for years. Makes it lots cleaner.

The original owner parked it outside since new in NJ. I garage it.
    Jim

2013 ST-S (wife's)
    2015 BMW R1200GS (mine)