Spyder Garage

Default Removing Front Wheels - Super Tight?

I have my new "Super Sweet" Hankook Ventus tires fresh off the UPS Man and I went to remove my wheels to take to the Tire Shop and WOW, those bolts are super tight.

I am using a regular socket wrench and 13/16 socket. I am about to go look for a pipe for some leverage on this sucker.

Have any of you had this experience with the lug nuts?

I'm no wuss, but geez.....

Thanks for your support

Spyder Garage

Just two days ago, I pulled the front wheels off my 2014 RT. Yes, someone got carried away. I looked on this site and found the torque on the lug nuts to be 76/78 ft lbs. The undoing of the lug nuts required me to get out the 1/2" drive breaker bar with a piece of pipe for some real leverage. Had to be at least 100 ft lbs. Not Good!! Use the proper torque guys.
    Buckskin

Quote Originally Posted by airtire View Post
    I have my new "Super Sweet" Hankook Ventus tires fresh off the UPS Man and I went to remove my wheels to take to the Tire Shop and WOW, those bolts are super tight.

I am using a regular socket wrench and 13/16 socket. I am about to go look for a pipe for some leverage on this sucker.

Thanks for your support
    2016 F3T , Pearl White

Spyder Garage

Most likely it's the lock tite they used as the nuts should only have about 80# torque force on them. Since I use an impact wrench to remove mine I don't know how hard it would have been to break them loose by hand the first time. I do not use lock tite on them and set my torque wrench to 80# and never had a issue with nuts coming loose.
    2021 Sea To Sky, 2020 RTL

Isn't it weird that in AMERICA our flag and our culture offend so many people......
    but our benefits don't?
    2015 F3S , White & Blue

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by airtire View Post

Thanks for your support
    FYI
    Regular socket wrench for lug nuts is the 1/2" drive. You would have had the leverage you needed then. If you were trying the 3/8" drive ya it would be quite tough. Also now that you have off you may want to apply anti-seize(found in most parts houses), if you are worried it. May happen again. Fyi I used on my'68 truck with rusted studs & works great, only had to apply once & yearly tire maintaince is no problem.

2013 STL SE5 BLACK CURRANT
    SpyderPop's: LED bumpskid
    SmoothSpyder: dualmode back rest
    T r * * LED:foam grip covers, Tricrings, FenderZ,
    brake light strips, wide vue mirrors
    Rivico SOMA modulation brake leds
    sawblade mowhalk fender accents
    minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack
    GENSSI ELITE LED H4 headlights
    FLO (Frunk Lid Organizer)
    BRP fog lights, trailer hitch
    SENA 20S EVO
    2013 STL , Stock Stock Black currant

Spyder Garage

If you put the tires on with more than 78-80 lbs of torque, you could very easily warp the rotors.

if when you apply your brakes, your front wheels want to wander one way or the other, you might be over torqued on you front wheels.

Cruzr Joe
    2018 F3 Limited, BRP Driver Backrest, Spyderpops Lighted Bump Skid, Dual Spyclops Light, Mirror Turn Signals, Laser Alignment, Engine LEDs, Fog Lights With Halo's, Cushion Handgrips, BRT LEDs, and Under Lighting, Lamonster IPS, (with Clock), F4 25" Vented Windshield with Wings, Airhawk "R" Cushions. Position 4 Brake setting, Short reach Handlebars, Dash Mounted Voltmeter and 12 Volt Plug. Set of 3rd pegs. Extended Passenger Seat. Exterior BRP Connect setup, Ultimate Trailer

Spyder Garage

Default Depends....

It will depend on the dealer. They install the wheels and torque them. I have had some friends mention this problem but once re-installed things were fine. Impact's tend to break up the locktite if used.
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

1 foot piece of pipe did the trick. I will report back on the Hankook 175's soon

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Spyder Garage

Shops are notorious for using impact wrenches to install and tighten lug nuts. Impact wrenches are find for removing lug nuts. But should not be used to install them.

Frankly, I think it may be pretty rare for a shop to tighten lug nuts with a torque wrench.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

Default HANKOOK

YOU ARE GOING TO LOVE THOSE 'HANKOOKS'......
    I DO MINE....
    20160411_150313 (1).jpg 20160411_150121.jpg 20160411_154943 (1).jpg
    I GOT THE 175's FOR A LITTLE MORE WITDH, WHICH SIZE DID YOU GET...?
    DAN P
    SPYD3R

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default IMPACT TOOLS

Quote Originally Posted by BajaRon View Post
    Shops are notorious for using impact wrenches to install and tighten lug nuts. Impact wrenches are find for removing lug nuts. But should not be used to install them.

Frankly, I think it may be pretty rare for a shop to tighten lug nuts with a torque wrench.
    the impact wrenches are adjustable ....... unfortunately the operators aren't always ..... Mike

Spyder Garage

I thought the wheel nuts were tight........UNTIL I TRIED TO BREAK THE BLOODY AXLE NUTS !
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited
    Setup for Tall & Big.... 200cm/6'7", 140kg/300lbs, 37"inleg.

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Ikon (Aussie) shocks all round.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Goodyear Duragrip 165/60 fronts (18psi) - provides extra 1/2” ground clearance.
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Spyder Garage

Default Spyd3r

Any info on that tire Spyd3r would be appreciated,
    i am looking to replace my front tires on the F3S soon.
    just went over 18k

any issues with the size or width of the tire
    thanks
    2015 F3-S Pearl White SM6 with a 7 Jurock custom windshield, Smooth-Spyder backrest, Shad saddle bags, RT sway bar, Elka stage 2 shocks in front and stage 2 with hyd. adjuster in the rear. Lamonster's LED fog lights, TricLed headlights, TricLed Safety LED package.
    2015 F3S , Black & White