Spyder Garage

Default Why doesn't BRP install Swaybars like BajaRon's at the factory?

I plan to get a BajaRon sway bar for my 2014, but all the positive response about these bars from Spyder owners begs a simple question.
    Why the devil does BRP not install bars with similar specs and performance at the factory? Anybody know? BRP must certainly be aware that so many owners are adopting the BajaRon mod.

(I had the same question about the seat on my 2004 Honda VTX 1300C when I bought it new. The factory seat looked sexy in the showroom, but it was a back breaker on the road. Almost everybody I know upgraded the seat to a Mustang or Corbin at no small expense. So why did Honda never seem to get it and install better seats at the factory?)

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by philbowie View Post
    I plan to get a BajaRon sway bar for my 2014, but all the positive response about these bars from Spyder owners begs a simple question.
    Why the devil does BRP not install bars with similar specs and performance at the factory? Anybody know? BRP must certainly be aware that so many owners are adopting the BajaRon mod.

(I had the same question about the seat on my 2004 Honda VTX 1300C when I bought it new. The factory seat looked sexy in the showroom, but it was a back breaker on the road. Almost everybody I know upgraded the seat to a Mustang or Corbin at no small expense. So why did Honda never seem to get it and install better seats at the factory?)
    They probably use the same thing on some other product and have a pile of them. It would be cheaper that way and for what all the riders spend on farkles why should they care?

Spyder Garage

I don't have BajaRon Bar installed yet.
    What symptoms do you guys notice on the bike?

Spyder Garage

Easy answer, cost. They already charge a LOT of money for these bikes. They cut corners where they can.
    Jim

2013 ST-S (wife's)
    2015 BMW R1200GS (mine)
    1981 Yamaha XS400 Scrambler Custom (mine)

Spyder Garage

Default VTX

All about the bottom line and profit margins. My VTX didn't have a gas gauge, self canceling turn signals or emergency flashers.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default The "Bean Counters"

Almost all the problems that arise with BRP products, Ford, Chevy, Harley Davidson, Yamaha and all the rest of them begins with the bean counters. The idea is that companies want to pay less for parts and get their products in the hands of the consumers as quickly as possible to increase profits so they can keep the stock holders happy. In that process they all to often shortcut R&D and use the cheapest parts possible, and you and I suffer as a result. They could care less if it takes a ten cent item that costs $500 to replace that solves our problem. Everything is budget driven. Now, that being said, there are some but few companies out there who place customer satisfaction, and a quality product right up there next to profits. Most of those reputable companies are young startups and small businesses. A couple that come to mind are right here on SL. Lamonster, BajaRon and Dave's Motorcycle are just a couple of many, and the list goes on. So just remember when poo poo happens you're not alone, we all suffer at the hands of the bean counters. Just ask for help and there are lots of knowledgeable folks here that will try and help you out.

Spyder Garage

BRP why should they bother? We are already buying them.

Honda you said it,they look sexy looks sell.

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Spyder Garage

It provides for a nice after market and the prices that people are willing to pay to make the theirs.

Most companies use the "what the market will bear" pricing model. Most of the times, it has nothing to do with actual cost plus a % markup.

Yes, there are R & D costs, but the companies have those going to the bottom line as a tax write off each year.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member eddieshep999's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I think one of the problems is they undertake R&D quickly to get products out to the market and very little time is spent on testing under real road conditions & long term use
    We as consumers do that for them and they fix problems when they become apparent as we are all aware some or the problems have lead to safety issues
    We seem to hear more recalls now, some of them involving manufacturers of well known names & brands
    I tend to fit aftermarket products that will enhance safety or rider comfort and information gained from others on this website has been invaluable
    Eddie Sheppard
    Poole Dorset UK

Get a Spyder - See the World

Spyder Garage

I guess you people are right about costs, but it seems on the surface that the BajaRon type of sway bar should not cost all that much more when installed at the factory, and it's not just a cosmetic or convenience or even comfort item we're talking about; it's pretty fundamental to achieving the best, safest ride. I'd really like to know what the BRP engineers are thinking about it.

But thanks for the replies.

Spyder Garage

Default Plastic??? sway bar links

BRP put on an anti-sway bar that was "just enough" and got a decent price a large quanity of them. CHEAP!! CHEAP!!! But plastic links at the end of the bars?????? That's really CHEAPING OUT.
    A broken sway bar link in the middle of a turn will cause ::::::::::::
    Kaos
    Kaos----- Gone but not forgotten.

2014 RTS in Circuit Yellow, farkle-ing addiction down to once every few months. ECU FLASH IS GREAT.
    2014 RTS , Circuit Yellow

Spyder Garage

I guess you people are right about costs, but it seems on the surface that the BajaRon type of sway bar should not cost all that much more when installed at the factory, and it's not just a cosmetic or convenience or even comfort item we're talking about; it's pretty fundamental to achieving the best, safest ride. I'd really like to know what the BRP engineers are thinking about it.

But thanks for the replies.
    It is still about the numbers. Add $25 per unit, plus development, plus that most will never notice the difference because they are OK with what they got, and they are good with their choices. The sway bar is just part, why not top of the line shocks, add $500, plus better tires, add a couple hundred, and better lighting, a few hundred more, plus whatever else. The already very high retail price just went up by 25%.
    Jim

2013 ST-S (wife's)
    2015 BMW R1200GS (mine)
    1981 Yamaha XS400 Scrambler Custom (mine)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Yep, plastic links

I met a fellow at a spyders in the redwoods rally this year who showed me cell phone photos of his crashed spyder. All caused by a broken plastic sway bar link. According to him BRP replaced his bike with a brand new spyder and paid all of his medical costs. You think they knew they had a problem?

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

The swaybar in my opinion is the one thing they need to upgrade for more sales. How many of us when we jumped on a Spyder for the first time felt how wobbly it felt. How many of us have heard others experience the same thing when test driving them for possible purchase feel the same thing and turn away. I think this is the one area where they could look to improve sales.

Spyder Garage

nothing personal, I love ALL spyder pilots, but you're pretty young aren't you?
    Flatlander, Navy Veteran, Widower
    Loved my 2014 RTS SE6 Pearl white
    but have a new love now,
    my 2017 RTS SE6 Champagne metallic (Champ)

Spyder Garage

I was told that in order for BRP to change to a BajaRon type sway bar and links from OEM would require reprogramming the nanny - which is made by Bosch - to the tune of $30 K. This is what Bosch charges BRP for any type of reprogramming. So, if you add in the cost of a stiffer bar & better links, it is significant money for BRP, and no way would they absorb that. So the costs involved would be passed on to us, the consumers, making an already expensive machine even more so. Yes, as always, it is all about the $$$.
    "A Wise Man Once Said, I Should Ask My Wife."
    2017 Champagne Metallic RT-S SE-6 Rivco Dual Flag Holders; Slingmods Highway Pegs; (Hate Them) Airhawk Seat Cushion; Show Chrome Black Touring Rack w/ Risers & Touring Windshield; RAM X Mount For TXTAG; TackForm Phone Mount; Lidlox; Magic Mirror Mounts; Guardian Bells; WOLO "Bad Boy" Air Horn; Dual USB Power Outlet With Voltmeter; 12V outlet for misc. stuff; Spyderpops Full View Mirror Turn Signals; Large Brake Pedal; Kott Grilles; Large Mud Flap; BajaRon 3 Piece Sway Bar, Last But Not Least, Kuhmo Rear Rire, Vedrestien Fronts.
    2017 RT-S , Brake pedal extender is twice the size of the stock pedal. Champagne Metallic

Very Active Member Pirate looks at --'s Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by kaos View Post
    BRP put on an anti-sway bar that was "just enough" and got a decent price a large quanity of them. CHEAP!! CHEAP!!! But plastic links at the end of the bars?????? That's really CHEAPING OUT.
    A broken sway bar link in the middle of a turn will cause ::::::::::::
    Kaos
    Actually we rode several hundred miles with a broken link, and never noticed it! We ryde pretty aggressively!
    White 2013 Spyder RT Limited. BajaRon Swaybar, Custom Dynamic Third Brake Light. Ultimate Custom Black and White seat with driver and passenger back rest. Gloryder Led Wheel lights.Custom Dynamics Led Bright sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright sides.

2016 F3 Limited Intense Red Pearl. Lidlox, BRP Driver Back Rest, BRP Passenger Back Rest,Fog Lights, GPS, Signature Light! Custom Dynamics LED Bright Sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright Sides.

Very Active Member Pirate looks at --'s Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by oldguyinCT View Post
    I was told that in order for BRP to change to a BajaRon type sway bar and links from OEM would require reprogramming the nanny - which is made by Bosch - to the tune of $30 K. This is what Bosch charges BRP for any type of reprogramming. So, if you add in the cost of a stiffer bar & better links, it is significant money for BRP, and no way would they absorb that. So the costs involved would be passed on to us, the consumers, making an already expensive machine even more so. Yes, as always, it is all about the $$$.
    Sorry but that doesn't make sense to a dim wit like me. Why Is it that thousands of us have them installed and they work perfectly, and we are not having issues with "re-programming"? I am pretty sure that BRP could find $30,000.00 in the cushions of the Sofas in the offices in Valcourt! I think it really come down to the fact that designed a pretty damn good road machine without the BRSB and leave for those of us that want a bit more than the average ryde to do what we want to make it better! JMHO!
    White 2013 Spyder RT Limited. BajaRon Swaybar, Custom Dynamic Third Brake Light. Ultimate Custom Black and White seat with driver and passenger back rest. Gloryder Led Wheel lights.Custom Dynamics Led Bright sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright sides.

2016 F3 Limited Intense Red Pearl. Lidlox, BRP Driver Back Rest, BRP Passenger Back Rest,Fog Lights, GPS, Signature Light! Custom Dynamics LED Bright Sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright Sides.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

If you want another BIG improvement talk to Ron about his front shock adjuster kit...You'll be happier yet!!! larryd