Spyder Garage

Default Change compressor

Is it hard to change out a compressor on a 2014 rt, plus wha after market compressor to use. Mine is very noisy.
    Thanks kenn

Very Active Member Highwayman2013's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Doc Humphreys did a video on it. Search You Tube.
    2016 F3 Limited
    2019 Ryker Rally
    2014 Suzuki V Strom 650
    2020 CSC TT 250
    2016 F 3 Limited , Vegas White

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Highwayman2013 View Post
    Doc Humphreys did a video on it. Search You Tube.
    Thanks it's under2014RT air ride pump replacement.
    It is way over my pay grade. Looks like I will have to hire an independent cycle repair shop. My spyder dealer will not install after market parts.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Contact Squared Away, that's where I would go, an easy days ride for you.

Spyder Garage

Default Is it

Still under warranty? If so, have the dealer replace but stay and watch how they do it. This way if it has to be replaced again you'll know how. I had mine done this past summer under BEST extended warranty so far so good.

Ride safe!
    2022 Sea-T0-Sky

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default A little help please. Does anyone understand the airbag system?

Mine has been replaced, once. It used to bleed out to no pressure at all in a very short amount of time when not being ridden. Yep, it had a small leak between the swing arm and the bottom of the bag and the compressor was working on overtime. The bag pressure still goes to "0" overnight. I bought an FOBO and put it on the Schrader valve to keep an eye on the airbag pressure. It's constantly changing, sometimes as much as 20+ psi. in just a couple of miles. I got a bunch of secondhand hooey from BRP saying that the ride is always adjusting it's self to road conditions. If I set the ride height with 40 psi why wouldn't stay there with no change of the load taking place? I never know when going into a corner if I have a solid or soft suspension until I'm into the corner and trying to come out. I've been told it's regulated by ride height (load weight) and I've been told it's regulated by preset pressure setting. Now I'm being told it's regulated by road conditions. Does anyone know how this thing works. I kind of think I'd like to depend on it staying at one constant dependable preset pressure. Am I wrong here? By the way, my bike is a 14 RTS SE6.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by 2dogs View Post
    Mine has been replaced, once. It used to bleed out to no pressure at all in a very short amount of time when not being ridden. Yep, it had a small leak between the swing arm and the bottom of the bag and the compressor was working on overtime. The bag pressure still goes to "0" overnight. I bought an FOBO and put it on the Schrader valve to keep an eye on the airbag pressure. It's constantly changing, sometimes as much as 20+ psi. in just a couple of miles. I got a bunch of secondhand hooey from BRP saying that the ride is always adjusting it's self to road conditions. If I set the ride height with 40 psi why wouldn't stay there with no change of the load taking place? I never know when going into a corner if I have a solid or soft suspension until I'm into the corner and trying to come out. I've been told it's regulated by ride height (load weight) and I've been told it's regulated by preset pressure setting. Now I'm being told it's regulated by road conditions. Does anyone know how this thing works. I kind of think I'd like to depend on it staying at one constant dependable preset pressure. Am I wrong here? By the way, my bike is a 14 RTS SE6.
    It is regulated by ride height and stiffness setting (by your input) through the computer. Why don't you hook the Schrader valve directly to the top of the bag, input your favorite pressure and be happy. Oh, be sure to disconnect the electric to the compressor.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Frank G View Post
    It is regulated by ride height and stiffness setting (by your input) through the computer. Why don't you hook the Schrader valve directly to the top of the bag, input your favorite pressure and be happy. Oh, be sure to disconnect the electric to the compressor.
    Because I'd like to be able to adjust the pressure on the fly and have it remain at the pressure I set it to.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by 2dogs View Post
    Because I'd like to be able to adjust the pressure on the fly and have it remain at the pressure I set it to.
    To my knowledge there is no pressure sensing device in /on the air bag system. There is a position sensor connected between the swing arm and the frame. when you move the adjustment switch as seen on the instrument cluster it adds or subtracts a small amount from the neutral ride position. Add a passenger and the system will pump-up to it's predetermined ride position. When riding down the road it will seek it's own level.

I have replaced the compressor on our 12RTL with the aftermarket compressor. Works fine although I may have a small leak somewhere.

The models without the compressor system rely on pressure only, and I beleave that the aftermarket systems are pressure based. The issue being that the headlights may not always be correctly aimed with these systems.

I am trying to be helpfull.

Very Active Member Roadster Renovations's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Install video

Many times the airbag will have a small leak from embedded rocks that have rubbed a hole in the bottom. What happened to mine.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Yep, mine too.

Small hole in the bottom of the airbag. Couldn't find it until the air ride system was removed, pressurized and submerged in water.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Frank G View Post
    To my knowledge there is no pressure sensing device in /on the air bag system. There is a position sensor connected between the swing arm and the frame. when you move the adjustment switch as seen on the instrument cluster it adds or subtracts a small amount from the neutral ride position. Add a passenger and the system will pump-up to it's predetermined ride position. When riding down the road it will seek it's own level.

I have replaced the compressor on our 12RTL with the aftermarket compressor. Works fine although I may have a small leak somewhere.

The models without the compressor system rely on pressure only, and I beleave that the aftermarket systems are pressure based. The issue being that the headlights may not always be correctly aimed with these systems.

I am trying to be helpfull.
    Thanks Frank. You've been very helpful. I've gotten two answers from the dealer. One, it's height regulated and two, it's pressure regulated. Steve at BRP won't or can't give me a straight answer.