Spyder Garage

Default Computer reset on startup

I have a 2014 ST-S with 7000 miles on it so far. Over the last couple of months when I start it up, the computer resets and the center monitor goes through the boot up process again. This used to happen very sporadically in the first year I had it, but now I would say it is about 90% of the time. I have never had a problem with it starting, but the computer reboot is getting annoying. Is this a sign that I may need a new battery? I was thinking the voltage may be low enough that the start procedure was causing the computer to lose enough power to cause the computer reset.
    AlphaJoe
    ------------------------------------------------------------
    2014 ST-S - Congnac
    LidLock helmet locks
    LAmonster Ram mount with X-Grip

Spyder Garage

For sure that would be a sign of low charge in the battery. Maybe because the battery is going bad. Maybe something wrong with the charging system or a drain on the battery when parked. Also in rare occasions just because you don't drive it enough or the trips are just way too short. The most common reason is the terminals on the battery are just loose.

Check the battery terminals to see if they are loose. If not. Take the battery out. Charge it up and take it to a battery store or auto parts store. Most will load test it for free. Call first before you make the drive. If it fails. Buy a new battery and put it in. If it passes there is something else wrong and you will have look for that.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

Default Well....

Start with the electrical connections to the instrument cluster and battery and grounding straps. If the battery were failing you would have issues with DPS and other sensors. You could then have the battery tested though I would doubt that being relatively new...let us know what you find...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Agree with the others about the battery. Aftermarket HID lights can play a part if your running them as well

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default ISSUES

Quote Originally Posted by billybovine View Post
    For sure that would be a sign of low charge in the battery. Maybe because the battery is going bad. Maybe something wrong with the charging system or a drain on the battery when parked. Also in rare occasions just because you don't drive it enough or the trips are just way too short. The most common reason is the terminals on the battery are just loose.

Check the battery terminals to see if they are loose. If not. Take the battery out. Charge it up and take it to a battery store or auto parts store. Most will load test it for free. Call first before you make the drive. If it fails. Buy a new battery and put it in. If it passes there is something else wrong and you will have look for that.
    .... With Billy ...... plus your Magneto doesn't put out a very big charge, do you keep the Spyder on a Battery MAINTAINER ( NOT A CHARGER - THEY ARE DIFFERENT ) ALSO if your cables are loose put Star washers on the Bolts re-tighten ...... Mike

Spyder Garage

Just a little background info, I ride nearly every day at least 10 miles or more, mostly in-town, but many trips much longer. It is my main transportation for work and fun, so I think the trip length should be long enough. Once it is started I never have any issues with anything electrical. No sensor issues or anything like that. I don't keep it on a battery maintainer, as I live in an apartment complex and there is no power outlet in our parking area. I will check the terminals and see if the cables are loose. I am really leaning towards battery, but I have never had one last this short of period before.
    AlphaJoe
    2014 ST-S - Congnac
    LidLock helmet locks

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by AlphaJoe View Post
    Just a little background info, I ride nearly every day at least 10 miles or more, mostly in-town, but many trips much longer. It is my main transportation for work and fun, so I think the trip length should be long enough. Once it is started I never have any issues with anything electrical. No sensor issues or anything like that. I don't keep it on a battery maintainer, as I live in an apartment complex and there is no power outlet in our parking area. I will check the terminals and see if the cables are loose. I am really leaning towards battery, but I have never had one last this short of period before.
    If you are competent with a multimeter there are a few checks you can do (once you have checked the connections) that will give you an idea of the bikes electrical health.

1. Check battery voltage with the key off - should be at least 12.6 volts, if not get the battery charged.

2. Check battery voltage with key on - should drop slightly from the previous reading.

3. Check battery voltage while holding throttle wide open (to prevent starting) with bike in neutral and hitting the starter button - if your battery drops below 10 volts, your battery has an issue.

4. Check battery voltage with the engine running and the RPMs at around 4000 - the voltage should be between 13 and 14 volts on the 998 engine.

Clifford Fargason
    2013 Spyder RTL
    2007 Royal Star Venture

Spyder Garage

Default An Update

An update. I milked the battery I had for a few more months, but sadly, last Thursday she gave out. Wouldn't turn over anymore so my hand was forced. Got a new battery and all my problems went away. Other things had started to creep in as well. My power assist on the steering would sometimes not "assist" after first starting, and various other small quirks were cured. Computer has never reset once on startup after the replacement.
    AlphaJoe
    2014 ST-S - Congnac
    LidLock helmet locks

Spyder Garage

Glad to hear that you have the issue solved.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Default Display Resetting Itself

I have a 2014 ST-S with 7000 miles on it so far. Over the last couple of months when I start it up, the computer resets and the center monitor goes through the boot up process again. This used to happen very sporadically in the first year I had it, but now I would say it is about 90% of the time. I have never had a problem with it starting, but the computer reboot is getting annoying. Is this a sign that I may need a new battery? I was thinking the voltage may be low enough that the start procedure was causing the computer to lose enough power to cause the computer reset.
    I have a 2012 Can Am Spyder RT-S with just over 23,000 miles. On a recent ride, the display would go dark, then come back on again as though it was rebooting itself. This must have happened six or seven times before I arrived at my destination. I parked the bike, went into the restaurant, came back out, and started the bike. But that's as far as it went. The display remained dark, the warning lights on the speedometer and tachometer were all flashing, the needles were pegged at the top, and the bike could not be shifted into any gear. Like you, I hope my situation can be resolved with a new battery. If not, I am possibly looking at the multifunction display module, which is merely a small computer. My dealer's service department informed me that a replacement module was $1045 which includes taxes. I truly wish you, the simplest and least expensive of solutions.

Spyder Garage

Default battery keeper

I don't keep it on a battery maintainer, as I live in an apartment complex and there is no power outlet in our parking area.

i had the same problem as you,joe
    if you dont keep the battery fully booted it will shorten its life span and they are not cheap
    i bought a solar keeper for around $40,made the rear cigar socket hot(RT admit) and it works a treat...i spend a lot of time away working and now have around 5 of these things keeping all my batteries, even though i now have power connected to the house
    russ

Spyder Garage

Default Battery Size

I am trying to replace my battery I have a 2013 ST-S SE5 and I am having a hard time finding the right battery
    An update. I milked the battery I had for a few more months, but sadly, last Thursday she gave out. Wouldn't turn over anymore so my hand was forced. Got a new battery and all my problems went away. Other things had started to creep in as well. My power assist on the steering would sometimes not "assist" after first starting, and various other small quirks were cured. Computer has never reset once on startup after the replacement.

Spyder Garage

Cheap Cycle parts

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by chriswilds View Post
    I am trying to replace my battery I have a 2013 ST-S SE5 and I am having a hard time finding the right battery
    The last time you posted the same question a couple days ago. I posted an answer for you that must not have seen. Here is a repeat of that answer because it still applies.

When wanting to ask a question. It is often best to start a new thread rather than hijack someone else's old thread. The information about your battery is on page 144 of your owners guide.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

I have a 2015 rt. Had erratic starting issues. Seems i had a Sulfated battery. I had enough voltage to start but not high enough to boot up computer. Replaced battery and havent had any more issues. (It also turned over much better)

Spyder Garage

thanks for the follow up, glad it didn’t develop problems like mine
    https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...4-Picture-game Not battery related exactly but definitely computer issues

2013 STL SE5 BLACK CURRANT
    SpyderPop's: LED bumpskid
    SmoothSpyder: dualmode back rest
    T r * * LED:foam grip covers, Tricrings, FenderZ,
    brake light strips, wide vue mirrors
    Rivico SOMA modulation brake leds
    sawblade mowhalk fender accents
    minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack
    GENSSI ELITE LED H4 headlights