Thread: NEW F3S Problem

Spyder Garage

Cool NEW F3S Problem

I have a new (leftover) 2015 F3S purchased 10/15/2016. This has happened twice in 3800 miles. While using cruise control at 65 mph, the Spyder all at once slows way down to about 45 mph and then holds steady at that speed. At the same time a "check engine" message is flashed across the display. No codes are shown. In both cases I was able to disengage the cruise control, speed back up to 65 and reset it and the bike was fine for the rest of the trip. It's at the dealer now being checked, but they are having problems diagnosing the problem. Any ideas anyone?

Spyder Garage

Something going on to slow it down to limp mode speed. Since you ended up with a warning screen (check engine) that is an indicator that something is amiss...but...I can't give the exact cause. Since it is now at the dealer, let us know what they diagnose.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

In order to help with a diagnosis, would need the error code or codes. Since its at the dealer, you would have to ask them.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Spyder Garage

Cool I DID!

Quote Originally Posted by jcthorne View Post
    In order to help with a diagnosis, would need the error code or codes. Since its at the dealer, you would have to ask them.
    That is the first thing I asked the dealer to check. Unfortunately, no error codes were shown. The dealer has been unable to duplicate the issue and requested assistance from BRP. BRP asked them to email the BUDs strip and they complied. That is where we are sitting now.

Spyder Garage

If there was a check engine message or the check engine light came on. There was a code generated. It will be in the list of occured faults.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default YOUR PROBLEM

Your bigger problem may be with your dealer Tech ...... Any system that involves a computer - has everything logged into that memory - If your dealer claims They can't find it ...... you may need to find a new dealer if BRP can't help them ........Mike

Spyder Garage

Cool Time Will Tell

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    Your bigger problem may be with your dealer Tech ...... Any system that involves a computer - has everything logged into that memory - If your dealer claims They can't find it ...... you may need to find a new dealer if BRP can't help them ........Mike
    i guess time will tell. My dealer is a Platinum Can Am dealer and is considered one of the top dealers in the state. Short of driving about 150 miles across the state, through the worst traffic, to the #1 dealer in the state, I'm not sure where I would go. BRP stated in their email that they would contact me within 24 hours about 29 hours ago.

Spyder Garage

Cool Message

Quote Originally Posted by billybovine View Post
    If there was a check engine message or the check engine light came on. There was a code generated. It will be in the list of occured faults.
    It is a message that scrolled across the screen, that clearly read "Check Engine" and according to my dealer, no codes appeared on the computer read out.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Jharpo View Post
    It is a message that scrolled across the screen, that clearly read "Check Engine" and according to my dealer, no codes appeared on the computer read out.
    I hate to be skeptical, but I would guess a novice technician accidentally erased the codes before reading them and now there are no codes... unless of course the Spyder's diagnostic system malfunctioned somehow and didn't store the codes. Mine had an issue running like poo in the middle of a long trip, check engine light came on and eventually went back off and bike ran fine for the rest of the trip. The dealer was able to pull stored codes no problem.
    2015 Spyder F3-S SM6

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default CODES AND THE COMPUTER

Quote Originally Posted by griffontamer View Post
    I hate to be skeptical, but I would guess a novice technician accidentally erased the codes before reading them and now there are no codes... unless of course the Spyder's diagnostic system malfunctioned somehow and didn't store the codes. Mine had an issue running like poo in the middle of a long trip, check engine light came on and eventually went back off and bike ran fine for the rest of the trip. The dealer was able to pull stored codes no problem.
    I had a similar situation with a dealer/tech who couldn't find any codes for a SE trans- Paddle switch problem I was having ..... At 2014 Spyderfest a senior BRP tech found 246 stored codes in the computer related to my issue .... My dealer got in touch with Him directly and the problem got fixed under warranty ........ annnnnnnnnnnd just as appoint of general knowledge on your Home computer or Work computer if you hit the DELETE KEY ..... IT ISN'T ....DELETED ..... it's only sort of hidden from casual view ..... but it's still in/on the computer...... Mike

Spyder Garage

Default Same issue...

I had that exact same issue on my bike. The issue was that when I used cruise control and then had to press the brake, the brake would stick slightly so when trying to reengage cruise control it created that same problem (wouldn't go over 45, check engine error message, etc.). I could pull over, turn the bike off, pull the key for a couple of minutes and it started and ran fine.

Dealer had to readjust the brake pedal and I haven't had the problem since. (three months of riding now)

I had an ST that had a sticky brake pedal as well and if you didn't double check you would end up with a dead battery as the brake stayed engaged running the battery down when the bike key was turned off.

Happy riding!
    Darla

Spyder Garage

Default Same problem

Quote Originally Posted by Jharpo View Post
    I have a new (leftover) 2015 F3S purchased 10/15/2016. This has happened twice in 3800 miles. While using cruise control at 65 mph, the Spyder all at once slows way down to about 45 mph and then holds steady at that speed. At the same time a "check engine" message is flashed across the display. No codes are shown. In both cases I was able to disengage the cruise control, speed back up to 65 and reset it and the bike was fine for the rest of the trip. It's at the dealer now being checked, but they are having problems diagnosing the problem. Any ideas anyone?
    I had exactly the same problem with my 2016 F3T, I took it to the dealer and they put it on the computer and could find no fault code, the tech is very good also, if you hear back from thr factory, please let me know.