Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Remember how tough it was to walk across 9 feet of shag carpeting to change the T.V. Channel?

2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Like most, I have fond memories of the past, but I don't miss most of them. I grew up dirt poor, emphasis on the dirt part. We had little good food, little to do, and few luxuries. I'll stick with the present and look to the future.

Things I do miss, respect, honesty, dedication.
    Jim

2013 ST-S (wife's)
    2015 BMW R1200GS (mine)
    1981 Yamaha XS400 Scrambler Custom (mine)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by PrairieSpyder View Post
    I helped my mom do the wash with a ringer washing machine. I kept getting my hand caught in the ringer. Then we'd hang them on a clothes line to dry.

You hung your your hands on the line to dry?

Joe

Spyder Garage

We called them "cannibal sandwiches." My father would make a sandwich of raw ground beef, salt, pepper, and raw chopped onion on a roll.

I felt soooo grown up the first time I got to eat one. Pretty sure none of us died from it.
    Trb-- (Roger)

2014 Cognac STL:Ultimate Seat, Nelson Rigg Tail Pack, Nelson Rigg RS/ST Half Cover, TL fender lights, Squared Away Laser Alignment, BajaRon sway bar and links, Akropovic Sport Silencer
    2022 White Pearl F3T
    Gone but not forgotten: 2019 F3S Special Series Liquid Titanium

Spyder States Visited

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

"Cannibal Sandwiches": I've got to try that!

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by cuznjohn View Post
    vix balls, when we had sore throats, our grandmother would take some vix vapor rub, put a little in sugar and make a small ball out of it, then give it to us to eat.
    You can eat vix vapor rub?? Hm wow I didn't know that

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by PrairieSpyder View Post
    I helped my mom do the wash with a ringer washing machine. I kept getting my hand caught in the ringer. Then we'd hang them on a clothes line to dry.
    Quote Originally Posted by Buckeye Bleau View Post
    You hung your your hands on the line to dry?

Joe

I guess I should have proofed my post! Of course we hung the washed clothes on the line.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Trbayth View Post
    We called them "cannibal sandwiches." My father would make a sandwich of raw ground beef, salt, pepper, and raw chopped onion on a roll.

I felt soooo grown up the first time I got to eat one. Pretty sure none of us died from it.
    I saw this sandwich in a food network show, old tradition from European country, I don't remember , German?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Empty Pockets View Post
    Dialing a number on a rotory telephone.

Getting a spanking for acting up and not having the police come to arrest your parents for child abuse.
    A friend of mine tried that once, told his Mom he was going to call the police for child abuse after a spanking. His Mom told him go ahead, she'd be out of prison LONG before he got out of the hospital....

Spyder Garage

Do you remember when a drive by shooting usually included someone's butt hanging out of a car window ???

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by rmag View Post
    Hide and seek, we used to swarm the neighborhood in the summertime from dusk until well after dark. Always at least 15 to 25 playing nightly. Never had any problems or complaints.
    Until my Dad blew the whistle that was hanging by the front door they my brother, sister and I would head for the house.
    2014 RTL , Black Currant

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Geeze you guys are old!

I remember lawn darts
    How 'bout having to use floppy disks (or punch cards)
    Playing in abandoned construction sites
    When life throws you curves, aim for the apex
    Current stable: 09 Thruxton / 09 FZ6
    Sold List: 97 Ninja500R, 03 SV650K3, 01 Ducati 750Sport Dark, 73 CB350/4, 03 F650GSA, 08 Gixxer600, 03 Gixxer600, 91 VFR750F, 09 KLX250, 06 Thruxton 900, 08 Spyder RS , 12 Street TripleR, 15 RC390, 02 VFR800, 09 KLX250S, 10 F650GS
    JLohPhotos
    ... Motorcycles are kind of like Baskin Robbins... You're looking at 31 flavors of ice cream, don't you kind of want to know what they all taste like?...
    2008 GS , Millennium Yellow

Very Active Member Pirate looks at --'s Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Maybe

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    Remember how tough it was to walk across 9 feet of shag carpeting to change the T.V. Channel?

The greatest TV show of all time! Appointment TV!
    White 2013 Spyder RT Limited. BajaRon Swaybar, Custom Dynamic Third Brake Light. Ultimate Custom Black and White seat with driver and passenger back rest. Gloryder Led Wheel lights.Custom Dynamics Led Bright sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright sides.

2016 F3 Limited Intense Red Pearl. Lidlox, BRP Driver Back Rest, BRP Passenger Back Rest,Fog Lights, GPS, Signature Light! Custom Dynamics LED Bright Sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright Sides.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by asp125 View Post
    Geeze you guys are old!

I remember lawn darts
    How 'bout having to use floppy disks (or punch cards)
    Playing in abandoned construction sites
    You mentioned my all-time favorite game: Lawn Darts!

Extreme Jarts.jpg

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Aawen View Post

It was a sure sign you knew how to handle a draught horse when you could re-position the outhouses in one go!!
    Loved your outhouse story, Peter! When my folks bought our farm (I was 5), the old house had no electricity or indoor plumbing, so we too had what we called "The Stinky House". Thank goodness, my folks didn't dawdle getting the place updated.

I wonder how many of us in here know from experience how much talent it does indeed take to perform precise maneuvers from the rear end of a draft or driving horse!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ruralgirl View Post
    ...I wonder how many of us in here know from experience how much talent it does indeed take to perform precise maneuvers from the rear end of a draft or driving horse!
    I can't even perform precise maneuvers when I'm IN the outhouse...

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I can't even perform precise maneuvers when I'm IN the outhouse...

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Back in the day when Evel Knievel was big, and us kids had our banana seat bicycles, we would try to emulate our two wheeled hero.

It started with wooden ramps ... progressed to ramps jumping over fire logs placed in a row. We would increase the number of logs till someone crashed. One day somebody in our group had the idea of laying kids down instead of logs. Needless to say one of our parents caught us trying this and grounded a bunch of us.

Choppers were also in vogue, and somebody *cough cough* had the hairbrained idea to saw apart the fork on our 3 speeds and extend them with thin walled electrical conduit. Anyone who's seen 1" conduit and how it bends ... well... you can guess the results. Let's say test rides would have ended up on Youtube, if we had Youtube back then.

On a serious note of things we don't do anymore, as a society:
    Eat dinner as a family at the table more than once a week, if that.
    Have sit down quality conversations uninterrupted by text messages and other digital distractions
    Have skinny kids, not chubby ones OD-ing on fast food and sugar.
    Last edited by asp125; 12-13-2016 at 01:27 PM.
    When life throws you curves, aim for the apex
    Current stable: 09 Thruxton / 09 FZ6
    Sold List: 97 Ninja500R, 03 SV650K3, 01 Ducati 750Sport Dark, 73 CB350/4, 03 F650GSA, 08 Gixxer600, 03 Gixxer600, 91 VFR750F, 09 KLX250, 06 Thruxton 900, 08 Spyder RS , 12 Street TripleR, 15 RC390, 02 VFR800, 09 KLX250S, 10 F650GS
    JLohPhotos
    ... Motorcycles are kind of like Baskin Robbins... You're looking at 31 flavors of ice cream, don't you kind of want to know what they all taste like?...
    2008 GS , Millennium Yellow

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ruralgirl View Post
    Loved your outhouse story, Peter! When my folks bought our farm (I was 5), the old house had no electricity or indoor plumbing, so we too had what we called "The Stinky House". Thank goodness, my folks didn't dawdle getting the place updated.

I wonder how many of us in here know from experience how much talent it does indeed take to perform precise maneuvers from the rear end of a draft or driving horse!
    I enjoy you and Peter's outhouse stories. It's not my experience, but something I always admired about my mom. She and her sister were raised by their grandma, but she didn't really have anything (Great Depression) so they lived with various aunts, uncles and cousins. She said at one place the kids were really happy that there was a water well right in the yard so they wouldn't have to haul water from the creek. They also rode to town in a mule-drawn wagon.
    Last edited by PrairieSpyder; 12-13-2016 at 04:29 PM.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

taking back glass Coke bottles to the grocery store to get the deposit back.

praying you'd get a whipping from your Mom and not your Dad.

candy cigars and cigarettes

made to get lawn mowing jobs in the summer when I was a young as 8 years old.

having a paper route and having to go and collect the money and turn it in to the paper company before you got paid.

having to use hand shears to cut the grass along the sidewalks and walk ways. no such thing as a weed eater.

i can remember lots of us guys having rifles & shotguns in our vehicles at school. most were in plain site or the back window.

Spyder Garage

"Cannibal Sandwiches": I've got to try that!
    Make sure you have your shots these days. Cooties are hiding in the meat. And yes, I had a few of those.

Some interesting stuff here that brings back the memories.
    Last edited by ARtraveler; 12-13-2016 at 02:09 PM.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by asp125 View Post
    Back in the day when Evel Knievel was big, and us kids had our banana seat bicycles, we would try to emulate our two wheeled hero.

It started with wooden ramps ... progressed to ramps jumping over fire logs placed in a row. We would increase the number of logs till someone crashed. One day somebody in our group had the idea of laying kids down instead of logs. Needless to say one of our parents caught us trying this and grounded a bunch of us.

Choppers were also in vogue, and somebody *cough cough* had the hairbrained idea to saw apart the fork on our 3 speeds and extend them with thin walled electrical conduit. Anyone who's seen 1" conduit and how it bends ... well... you can guess the results. Let's say test rides would have ended up on Youtube, if we had Youtube back then.
    Benn there, still have the scars to prove it.

On a serious note of things we don't do anymore, as a society:
    Eat dinner as a family at the table more than once a week, if that.
    Have sit down quality conversations uninterrupted by text messages and other digital distractions
    Have skinny kids, not chubby ones OD-ing on fast food and sugar.
    I think these are still completely possible, but the parents have to actually act like parents for this to happen. I know several households that adhere to these rules.

That said, as a society we are failing our kids.
    Jim

2013 ST-S (wife's)
    2015 BMW R1200GS (mine)
    1981 Yamaha XS400 Scrambler Custom (mine)

Spyder Garage

i can remember playing my entire childhood without wearing shoes.
    we ran around barefoot 24/7/365 and i only had to get stitches on my feet 1 time.
    i can still remember playing tackle football on our dirt road and none us wore shoes.
    i remember when there were a lot more open spaces and a lot less fences than there are now and we rode our mini bikes all through the woods.
    those open spaces are now strip malls and apartment projects
    2015 F3S
    2022 Suzuki Hayabusa
    2022 Kawaski KLX300