Thanks Thanks:  8
Likes Likes:  12
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 36

Thread: Radio Volume

  1. #1
    Active Member Large1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Location
    Boise ID
    Posts
    142

    Default Radio Volume

    Did I read wrong in the Manual that I can NOT turn off the radio,
    I have been looking for a off switch but can't find on; The manual say just to mute it.
    Does this also mute the Zumo
    Dick Harding
    Boise,ID
    2011 Spyder RT SE5 Limited

    Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!



    Large1 is online now Report Post


  2. #2
    Eponymous Member Bob Denman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Grahamsville, NY
    Posts
    84,729

    Default

    I believe that if you have the radio on, and turn on GPS; you can mute the radio, but the GPS will still give you directions.

    2010 RT A&C ................................. 2014 RT Limited.
    (Both are gone, but not forgotten!)

  3. #3
    Consumer Advocate akspyderman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Chugiak, Alaska
    Posts
    28,614

    Default

    Sorry, but here is another "that's just the way it is" things about the

    You hold the volume button down until the bars disappear off the screen. You cannot hear it, but it is still on for the next go around.

    I don't have issues with the battery draining because of it--but it has been a thought from time to time.

    Currently Owned: 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium), 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow), 2015 Vulcan 900 LTD

    Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) Pictures of 2008 and 2009 Spyders are in Alaska Albums 2009 and 2010.
    5 Spyders, 9 years, 133,000 miles, 5 Spyder miles per post.


  4. #4
    Member hschuchman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    16

    Default


  5. #5
    Active Member Large1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Location
    Boise ID
    Posts
    142

    Default

    Thanks Guys for the information. Never in my lifetime have I ever seen a Radio without an off switch.
    Now I am thinking "I have to keep this thing around just to see what else there is that does not make sense".
    As soon as this white stuff leaves I will be on it and enjoying my self shaking my head every time I think about it.
    Dick Harding
    Boise,ID
    2011 Spyder RT SE5 Limited

    Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!



    Large1 is online now Report Post


  6. #6
    Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    VERMONT
    Posts
    9,138

    Default RADIO OFF

    Actually I think there is a way to completely shut it OFF, but it's not easy, so no one bothers ....... Mike

  7. #7
    Very Active Member pegasus1300's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Spring City,Utah
    Posts
    1,839

    Default

    No you cannot turn off the radio,but you can turn off the external speakers. With your spyder parked, access the settings menu, scroll down to the audio menu,go over to the external speakers menu,go to the "On/OFF" menu and select "Off". You will then need either the Bluetooth headsets or the wired headsets that come with the CB/Intercom option to hear any thing.

    Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

    2012 RT L
    AMA
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    Venture Riders
    TOI

  8. #8
    Active Member JP58's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Columbus, WI
    Posts
    186

    Default

    If you are in Ipod mode it will keep playing when muted. It will not be at the same song unless you switch mode to radio. Then Ipod stops playing. Yeah on off button would be nice.

  9. #9
    Very Active Member lou49's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    lake mary fl.
    Posts
    548

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Large1 View Post
    Did I read wrong in the Manual that I can NOT turn off the radio,
    I have been looking for a off switch but can't find on; The manual say just to mute it.
    Does this also mute the Zumo
    waow! I've never notice that one! Thanks for posting!

  10. #10
    Eponymous Member Bob Denman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Grahamsville, NY
    Posts
    84,729

    Default

    The voices in my head actually LIKE the music being on all of the time...

    They sing along!


    funny-monkeys-pictures-copy.jpg

    2010 RT A&C ................................. 2014 RT Limited.
    (Both are gone, but not forgotten!)

  11. #11
    Very Active Member dlby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    696

    Default

    Oh Grasshoppah,
    All is not as seems---

    If a tree falls in woods and causes rockside wich dams a river and forms a lake---.
    Which no one saw or heard---
    Did it really happen?

    Or as the old song goes
    Turn the radio on listen to the music!

    Is the light on in my fridge right now.
    Do I need more wine?

    I love R&R put another dime in the jukebox baby!

  12. #12
    Very Active Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Aus, Sth Aust, Adelaide Hills
    Posts
    1,725

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Large1 View Post
    Thanks Guys for the information. Never in my lifetime have I ever seen a Radio without an off switch.....
    If you turn the Ignition Switch to OFF, the Radio WILL go off - completely!! If you hit the volume button twice, it WILL shut off the speakers - completely!! So the radio isn't truly turned off, altho for all reasonably foreseeable intents & purposes, it is! Effectively, it's just like every one of those other devices you have around the place that you leave with a 'standy-by' glowing - it's sorta vaguely technically OFF; but in reality, it's got some power & is still ready to work at a moments notice!

    But seriously, does it really matter if the radio still has power going to it?!? If you can't hear it at all, surely that's the desired outcome?

    You can have the radio on to listen to if you want; you can have the GPS on to listen to if you want; you can have either or both on to listen to or not if you want..... ISN'T THAT THE WHOLE POINT??

    So what if the radio doesn't 'switch off' like your old valve based set did! It's not costing you any more gas or making you ryde slower; it's not making the engine wear out quicker or run hotter; it gives you noise as and when you want it, and it goes silent as and when you tell it to.

    Problem solvered, move on; ryde more, worry less!
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 12-10-2016 at 08:48 PM.

  13. #13
    Eponymous Member Bob Denman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Grahamsville, NY
    Posts
    84,729

    2010 RT A&C ................................. 2014 RT Limited.
    (Both are gone, but not forgotten!)

  14. #14
    Active Member Large1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Location
    Boise ID
    Posts
    142

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Peter Aawen View Post
    If you turn the Ignition Switch to OFF, the Radio WILL go off - completely!! If you hit the volume button twice, it WILL shut off the speakers - completely!! So the radio isn't truly turned off, altho for all reasonably foreseeable intents & purposes, it is! Effectively, it's just like every one of those other devices you have around the place that you leave with a 'standy-by' glowing - it's sorta vaguely technically OFF; but in reality, it's got some power & is still ready to work at a moments notice!

    But seriously, does it really matter if the radio still has power going to it?!? If you can't hear it at all, surely that's the desired outcome?

    You can have the radio on to listen to if you want; you can have the GPS on to listen to if you want; you can have either or both on to listen to or not if you want..... ISN'T THAT THE WHOLE POINT??

    So what if the radio doesn't 'switch off' like your old valve based set did! It's not costing you any more gas or making you ryde slower; it's not making the engine wear out quicker or run hotter; it gives you noise as and when you want it, and it goes silent as and when you tell it to.

    Problem solvered, move on; ryde more, worry less!
    I agree with what you are saying, I was under the impression that to hear the GPS the Radio would have to be on, Now I am finding out that it does not.
    As for riding more and less worry, You can bet on it I will be riding more as soon as this snow melts.
    Dick Harding
    Boise,ID
    2011 Spyder RT SE5 Limited

    Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!



    Large1 is online now Report Post


  15. #15
    Very Active Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Idaho
    Posts
    4,161

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Large1 View Post
    I agree with what you are saying, I was under the impression that to hear the GPS the Radio would have to be on, Now I am finding out that it does not.
    When you start the bike the radio needs to be unmuted until the first audio comes from your GPS. Then you can mute the radio. Otherwise, the GPS audio will be muted. At least that's the way it is on my 2014 RTS.

    2014 Copper RTS

    Tri-Axis handlebars, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, Lamont's NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, trailer wiring module and harness, high mount brake light and turn signals, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.

  16. #16
    Active Member Large1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Location
    Boise ID
    Posts
    142

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by IdahoMtnSpyder View Post
    When you start the bike the radio needs to be unmuted until the first audio comes from your GPS. Then you can mute the radio. Otherwise, the GPS audio will be muted. At least that's the way it is on my 2014 RTS.
    Again Thank will have to check that out
    Dick Harding
    Boise,ID
    2011 Spyder RT SE5 Limited

    Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!



    Large1 is online now Report Post


  17. #17
    Active Member Large1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Location
    Boise ID
    Posts
    142

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by IdahoMtnSpyder View Post
    When you start the bike the radio needs to be unmuted until the first audio comes from your GPS. Then you can mute the radio. Otherwise, the GPS audio will be muted. At least that's the way it is on my 2014 RTS.

    When You make it home I will ride out your way and pick your brain if you have time.
    Dick Harding
    Boise,ID
    2011 Spyder RT SE5 Limited

    Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!



    Large1 is online now Report Post


  18. #18
    Active Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Location
    North Central Florida
    Posts
    430

    Default

    On a related question:
    I'm still figuring out all of the "options" on the integrated audio system on my RT Limited (including CB).

    It is beginning to appear that to get a decent volume from the radio and CB in my headset, the speakers must be ON too.
    Seems like it would be dumb to design it that way so there might be something I have overlooked.

    I get everything set up so I can hear everything and then go to the option to turn the speakers OFF......and the volume seems to go WAY down in the headset for everything but the GPS; it blasts through no problem.
    My ride: '17 Spyder RT

  19. #19
    Eponymous Member Bob Denman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Grahamsville, NY
    Posts
    84,729

    Default

    If you can't hear the music because the radio has been muted: does it matter whether or not you have an Off-Switch?

    This is truly a "First-World" problem...
    The folks in the "Third-World" Countries would LOVE to have these issues ruining their days.
    They usually only have to worry about if they're going to starve to death, or not!

    Wrap your head around a REAL problem, and let go of the "Fluff"!
    Last edited by Bob Denman; 08-11-2017 at 11:22 AM.

    2010 RT A&C ................................. 2014 RT Limited.
    (Both are gone, but not forgotten!)

  20. #20
    Very Active Member Fatcycledaddy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Location
    Dorr, michigan
    Posts
    722

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Easy Rider View Post
    On a related question:
    I'm still figuring out all of the "options" on the integrated audio system on my RT Limited (including CB).

    It is beginning to appear that to get a decent volume from the radio and CB in my headset, the speakers must be ON too.
    Seems like it would be dumb to design it that way so there might be something I have overlooked.

    I get everything set up so I can hear everything and then go to the option to turn the speakers OFF......and the volume seems to go WAY down in the headset for everything but the GPS; it blasts through no problem.
    When setting still and the key on, you can use the mode button to get to the audio screen, then there is an option to turn the speakers off and leave the headset on.
    The only problem with this is that if you want the speakers on later, you can't do it on the fly, you have to go through the procedure again while setting still.
    2015 RTL


  21. #21
    Very Active Member UtahPete's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    Oakley Utah
    Posts
    735

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Peter Aawen View Post
    If you turn the Ignition Switch to OFF, the Radio WILL go off - completely!! If you hit the volume button twice, it WILL shut off the speakers - completely!! So the radio isn't truly turned off, altho for all reasonably foreseeable intents & purposes, it is! Effectively, it's just like every one of those other devices you have around the place that you leave with a 'standy-by' glowing - it's sorta vaguely technically OFF; but in reality, it's got some power & is still ready to work at a moments notice!
    That's very helpful. Figuring out the sound system I have had on my to-do list for some time but it wasn't a high enough priority. This inspires me to tackle it (the whole integrated gps/music/intercom thing).

    2014 RTL Platinum & 2014 RTL Cognac (one for each dog)

  22. #22
    Very Active Member ThreeWheels's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Danbury Connecticut
    Posts
    2,243

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Fatcycledaddy View Post
    When setting still and the key on, you can use the mode button to get to the audio screen, then there is an option to turn the speakers off and leave the headset on.
    The only problem with this is that if you want the speakers on later, you can't do it on the fly, you have to go through the procedure again while setting still.
    Yes, that's true. I've found that if you leave the speakers on the lowest possible setting, they're barely audible at rest. Once moving, you can't hear them.
    That way, if you want the speakers at an audible level, you can simply increase the volume "on the fly".
    Not an ideal solution, but it works for me. It might work for others.

    As always, my free advice comes with a double your money back guarantee.
    My Gas Tank Is Full; My Bladder Is Empty
    Time To Motor On……..
    IBA #47122

  23. #23
    Very Active Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Idaho
    Posts
    4,161

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ThreeWheels View Post
    Yes, that's true. I've found that if you leave the speakers on the lowest possible setting, they're barely audible at rest. Once moving, you can't hear them.
    That way, if you want the speakers at an audible level, you can simply increase the volume "on the fly".
    Not an ideal solution, but it works for me. It might work for others.

    As always, my free advice comes with a double your money back guarantee.
    Works good unless you want to hear the GPS. Speaker volume controls the GPS volume also. What you can do is once the GPS audio has come through is mute the speakers, i.e., hold the volume down button for a couple of seconds and then the GPS audio will still come through. At least it does with the communication and wired headset option.

    2014 Copper RTS

    Tri-Axis handlebars, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, Lamont's NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, trailer wiring module and harness, high mount brake light and turn signals, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.

  24. #24
    Active Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Location
    North Central Florida
    Posts
    430

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Fatcycledaddy View Post
    When setting still and the key on, you can use the mode button to get to the audio screen, then there is an option to turn the speakers off and leave the headset on.
    My post indicated that I already know that.
    The question IS: When you do turn the speakers OFF, does the volume in the headset also go way down ??
    My ride: '17 Spyder RT

  25. #25
    Member CrashDavis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Location
    Niceville, FL
    Posts
    8

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Easy Rider View Post
    My post indicated that I already know that.
    The question IS: When you do turn the speakers OFF, does the volume in the headset also go way down ??
    I can't talk to the wired headsets, but in my BT setup, the volume of the speakers don't affect the volume in my headset, but if I turn the volume completely off then the headset goes silent also. But since there is a delay in the headset from the speakers I turn the volume down to the last stop before off. I can't hear the speakers then so no echo effect.

    Now if I can just figure out why the BT transmitter goes intermittent after about 15 minutes of riding!
    2017 RT Limited

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •