Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Toy Hauler for 2 Spyders - Any Suggestions?

Hi, Well you guys were right, my husband got the RT Limited which is now my bike. So he had to get a F3T for himself. Now we have a garage full and it creates a problem for us...
    We are looking to retire soon and have a desire to live on our houseboat in the summer and on a Fifth Wheel toy hauler the rest of the year. I cannot find a toy hauler that holds 2 Spyders with a separation from the living area because you'd need about a 20 foot garage. We don't care for the ones where you park your bike in the kitchen. My husband is willing to have a lift built to stack them in a 10 - 12 foot garage, but have not seen this anywhere and am concerned about the weight. We want a Fifth wheel because we want to be able to drive the truck in the rain or as needed. At least that is what we would like. Anyone else travel with an RV and 2 Spyders? Any suggestions?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Dave & Karen View Post
    Hi, Well you guys were right, my husband got the RT Limited which is now my bike. So he had to get a F3T for himself. Now we have a garage full and it creates a problem for us...
    We are looking to retire soon and have a desire to live on our houseboat in the summer and on a Fifth Wheel toy hauler the rest of the year. I cannot find a toy hauler that holds 2 Spyders with a separation from the living area because you'd need about a 20 foot garage. We don't care for the ones where you park your bike in the kitchen. My husband is willing to have a lift built to stack them in a 10 - 12 foot garage, but have not seen this anywhere and am concerned about the weight. We want a Fifth wheel because we want to be able to drive the truck in the rain or as needed. At least that is what we would like. Anyone else travel with an RV and 2 Spyders? Any suggestions?
    Saw this not sure if it will work if you drive 1 spyder in and back the other next to it. will take some measuring. Other Idea is to get a class A toy hauler and tow a jeep behind.

http://www.rvtrader.com/listing/2005-Thor-Motor-Coach-TRANSPORT-36WTB-120191757

2010 RTSM5

2010 RTSM5 , stock Stock Silver

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Check out Heartland Cyclone 5ers. Look at the CY4115 (15'1" garage) or the CY4018 (17.5' garage). I like the floor plan of the 4115 better, but the other really maximizes the garage space.

I'm looking to be a full-time RVer someday and that's the brand I'm looking at.

https://www.heartlandrvs.com/#!dview...&cidx=4&ajax=?
    PrairieSpyder (Patti)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

0223709.jpg

How about one of these?
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by PrairieSpyder View Post
    Check out Heartland Cyclone 5ers. Look at the CY4115 (15'1" garage) or the CY4018 (17.5' garage). I like the floor plan of the 4115 better, but the other really maximizes the garage space.

I'm looking to be a full-time RVer someday and that's the brand I'm looking at.

https://www.heartlandrvs.com/#!dview...&cidx=4&ajax=?
    Thanks for the suggestion. These might work and the floor plans are pretty good. I'll have to see if we put the Spyder rear ends together (both with side luggage compartments) will fit. The F3T is in the shop already after only 600 miles....battery won't hold charge. So I'll check these out.

Spyder Garage

Default Oh Yeah!

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    0223709.jpg

How about one of these?
    NOW YOU'RE TALKING!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Dave & Karen View Post
    NOW YOU'RE TALKING!
    If you use a credit card to pay for it; the airline miles that you receive will be almost unbelievable!

Spyder Garage

0223709.jpg

How about one of these?

I've got one of those Bob. Only drawback is I have to leave the Bently home and take the 458 Ferrari. My dogs are to big for the Ferrari so we often have to leave them at "Camp Bow Wow".

​Jack
    All my life I wanted to be somebody, now I realize I should have been more specific.
    2019 Specialized E-Bike COMO 2.0
    2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
    2018 Tiffin Phaeton 37BH Motorhome
    2015 BMW R1200R LC
    2014 RTL SE6 Pearl White
    2012 RT-622 trailer viper red
    2014 Look 7x12 motorcycle trailer silver and black
    2011 Polaris Ranger green
    2013 GMC Yukon Denali XL silver oak
    2016 Can Am Maverick

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Check out the Forest River Vengeance line of toy haulers. the 388V16 has a 16 ft toy room with a 102" width. I have a 29V to garage our Spyder. Soon to head south.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Had 5he same problem, traded my fusion toy hauler off and purchased a artic fox, cab over camper and an Akuma flat bed car hauler trailer. Now I can easily call 3 spyders with me. Problem solved.

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk

Spyder Garage

We have a 2014 Dutchman Voltage 3800 which has a 14 foot deep garage. The garage is not part of the living quarters. Walking in the main door you would have no idea what was in the garage We can get 2 Spyders staggered side-by-side in the garage or one Slingshot with no problem. Our Voltage has the bunkbed options that goes up-and-down on a chain driven motor the weight restriction for the top bunk is 600 lbs. Given we do not need to use the bunkbeds for sleeping purposes, with a little modification We can put our Freedom trailer on the top bunk raise it up and still have room to drive the Spyders or the Slingshot underneath. We Love our Voltage
    Last edited by Empty Pockets; 12-09-2016 at 10:47 AM.
    Bryan

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jaherbst View Post

I've got one of those Bob. Only drawback is I have to leave the Bently home and take the 458 Ferrari. My dogs are to big for the Ferrari so we often have to leave them at "Camp Bow Wow".

​Jack
    Perhaps you should trade the 458, for a Maserati Quattroporte...

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

We full timed for a year with a Fuzion 5th wheel. From experience you would want one that can close off the garage from the living quarters. Fumes, tire and oil smells were our main irritation with the "living in a garage" floorplans.

You could also trailer one Spyder behind the rig, in effect a triple trailer. I saw a couple of those setups on the road. One guy had his 5th wheel towing an open trailer with an RT on it. Forget trying to back up though.
    When life throws you curves, aim for the apex
    Current stable: 09 Thruxton / 09 FZ6
    Sold List: 97 Ninja500R, 03 SV650K3, 01 Ducati 750Sport Dark, 73 CB350/4, 03 F650GSA, 08 Gixxer600, 03 Gixxer600, 91 VFR750F, 09 KLX250, 06 Thruxton 900, 08 Spyder RS , 12 Street TripleR, 15 RC390, 02 VFR800, 09 KLX250S, 10 F650GS
    JLohPhotos
    ... Motorcycles are kind of like Baskin Robbins... You're looking at 31 flavors of ice cream, don't you kind of want to know what they all taste like?...
    2008 GS , Millennium Yellow

Spyder Garage

Default Suggestions

There is another trailer out there that mounts on your 5th wheel trailer and allows you to back up, One of them is called a swivel wheel trailer and they do have a web site. I seen one with a Spyder on it. There is also another company In Idaho that make a trailer that does the same but the wheels are not swivel wheels but they turn so you can back up. When we retire we are going with a short garage and a swivel wheel trailer. I have a 35' 5th wheel now but its not a toyhauler. My jobs last about a year so we just shuttle the Spyders now.
    2014 RTL , Black Currant

Spyder Garage

The double trailer concept is your best bet, but they are not legal in all states, and you can have legal length issues as well. Not all 5th wheel trailers can tow either. Lastly, adding 1800+ pounds to the back of your 5th wheel may be an issue as well.
    Jim

2013 ST-S (wife's)
    2015 BMW R1200GS (mine)
    1981 Yamaha XS400 Scrambler Custom (mine)

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Toy haulers are designed for weight in the garage to balance the load. Without stuff in the garage they are tong heavy. The weight of a Spyder is about the same as a heavy 2 wheeler. 1800 lbs would not be an issue.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

It depends if you prioritize living space vs garage space. You could go with a smaller class C or super C and tow a 18-20ft enclosed car trailer, or upsize to a class A motorhome and tow a larger 24 foot car trailer that fits both Spyders and maybe a small car (like a Smart car) for grocery runs and foul weather.

I saw a class A motorhome with matching double decked enclosed car trailer. Guy had their motorcycles up top and their corvette below. Lots of money tied up in that rig.

Then there's the toterhomes - like race transporters with full living in the tractor cab and as long a trailer as you want for all the toys!
    When life throws you curves, aim for the apex
    Current stable: 09 Thruxton / 09 FZ6
    Sold List: 97 Ninja500R, 03 SV650K3, 01 Ducati 750Sport Dark, 73 CB350/4, 03 F650GSA, 08 Gixxer600, 03 Gixxer600, 91 VFR750F, 09 KLX250, 06 Thruxton 900, 08 Spyder RS , 12 Street TripleR, 15 RC390, 02 VFR800, 09 KLX250S, 10 F650GS
    JLohPhotos
    ... Motorcycles are kind of like Baskin Robbins... You're looking at 31 flavors of ice cream, don't you kind of want to know what they all taste like?...
    2008 GS , Millennium Yellow

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I'll have to put the "ToterHome" on next year's Wish-List...

I wasn't good enough this year...

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Frank G View Post
    Toy haulers are designed for weight in the garage to balance the load. Without stuff in the garage they are tong heavy. The weight of a Spyder is about the same as a heavy 2 wheeler. 1800 lbs would not be an issue.
    1800 is about the weight of TWO or more 4 wheelers, depending on the 4 wheelers. Point is, make sure that the 5th wheel picked can handle the weight. You make another point though. How do you balance the tongue weight empty?
    Jim

2013 ST-S (wife's)
    2015 BMW R1200GS (mine)
    1981 Yamaha XS400 Scrambler Custom (mine)

Spyder Garage

When you start getting this big watch out for the real total loaded weight (with ALL your stuff aboard) as you can quickly exceed the safe towing abilities of a pickup truck. "My truck can pull anything" is fine but the point is not to just "pull" but to safely "tow".

Our toy hauler was advertised as being 16,000 lbs from the factory. When we weighed it loaded with our stuff (we were living in it at the time) it came in at 23,000 lbs! That explained why the big dually pickup struggled so much and I was always on edge while towing.

We replaced the pickup with this and loved it:

770 & Trailer.jpg
    Last edited by WA5VHU; 12-10-2016 at 12:15 AM.
    Current:
    2016 Honda CTX700 DCT ABS (faring model)
    Kip Moto SherpaX Cargo Trailer

Wife Has:
    2014 Can-Am Spyder RT Limited
    2016 Lees-ure Lite Camping Trailer

Previous:
    2013 Can-Am Spyder RS SE5, zoom-zoom!
    2011 Can-Am Spyder RT-S SE5, Foot Burner - Gasoline Boiling Stinker - Gas Tank Vacuum Puller

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JimVonBaden View Post
    1800 is about the weight of TWO or more 4 wheelers, depending on the 4 wheelers. Point is, make sure that the 5th wheel picked can handle the weight. You make another point though. How do you balance the tongue weight empty?
    There is no easy answer to your question. Each manufacturer each model has there own unique characteristics. With mine fully loaded (about 1000 lbs of Spyder and gear in the garage) and a 1/3 tank of fresh water it weighs 9600 lbs with a tongue weight of 1300 lbs or 13.5%, about what it should be. When the Spyder is missing the tongue gets considerably heaver, I have never weighed it under those circumstances. Compensations are made through the Weight Distributing Hitch. I tow with a F-250 witch is very forgiving for the size of trailer I pull.

Spyder Garage

Perhaps you should trade the 458, for a Maserati Quattroporte...

I always wanted to be able to spell and own a Buggati!

At $760,000 I would have to ease back on the "Princess's" allowance and that would not do anything for

Jack's happiness and well being.

​Jack
    All my life I wanted to be somebody, now I realize I should have been more specific.
    2019 Specialized E-Bike COMO 2.0
    2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
    2018 Tiffin Phaeton 37BH Motorhome
    2015 BMW R1200R LC
    2014 RTL SE6 Pearl White
    2012 RT-622 trailer viper red
    2014 Look 7x12 motorcycle trailer silver and black
    2011 Polaris Ranger green
    2013 GMC Yukon Denali XL silver oak
    2016 Can Am Maverick

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Your Princess has been able to stay with you for this long; why ruin a good thing?

(What's her secret for staying so young???)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Empty Pockets View Post
    We have a 2014 Dutchman Voltage 3800 which has a 14 foot deep garage. The garage is not part of the living quarters. Walking in the main door you would have no idea what was in the garage We can get 2 Spyders staggered side-by-side in the garage or one Slingshot with no problem. Our Voltage has the bunkbed options that goes up-and-down on a chain driven motor the weight restriction for the top bunk is 600 lbs. Given we do not need to use the bunkbeds for sleeping purposes, with a little modification We can put our Freedom trailer on the top bunk raise it up and still have room to drive the Spyders or the Slingshot underneath. We Love our Voltage
    Next time you staggering your bikes could you take a pic? I would like to see how it looks.

Spyder Garage

I will look and see if I have one. If not It wont be until April at the earliest where I can get a picture. I can explain it. I've done it 2 different ways. pulled the RT in straight hugging the left side then back in the ST hugging the right side. What I find works best is backing in both Spyders. The ST staggers the RT front end round 4 feet.
    Bryan