Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Spyder Garage

Default new hip

I figure i'd add my two cents worth. I'm three weeks into recovery from a right hip total replacement and being bored I figured i would try to get a leg over my STS. Well I was able to get my leg up to the seat and with a small pull I was over and on. I have no pain at all sitting on it or using the brake. Getting off was exactly the same. So I figure after total recovery with all exercises riding will be no issue at all. I'll give another update in July since I am scheduled for the left hip sometime in July.
    I hope this helps and gives some insight.
    Mike

Spyder Garage

I'm so happy to see the good results people are having with hip replacements, so I thought that I'd add my .02 cents. I had my right hip replaced last Friday, 12/2, with the robotic anterior approach and got on and off my Spyder yesterday and into and out of my truck. I wanted my s/o to know that in the event of an emergency, that I could mobilize. Walk, walk, walk. I did a mile yesterday and also do not skip or slack during physical therapy. Listen to your body, it will tell you what it can and cannot do.

Tomorrow I'm thinking of taking the Spyder for a trip around the neighborhood , body willing.
    George

2017 BMW R1200R

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

I have had both knees replaced this past year.

I find getting on my 2014 RTL about the same as mounting my 2008 BMW K1200GT.

On both, my strength in my hip just isn't enough to get my foot high enough to clear the seat. I guess the issue is I can't fold my leg (knee) up far enough.

So I have found that if I just grab my pant leg by my ankle and hoist it the necessary few inches to do the job. It doesn't look particularly "manly" I suppose, but what the heck ... it works!

I have absolutely no pain in my knees, but they are "stiff" at times.

I just thank the Lord that I am living in a time in which there are such miracles of medicine as knee replacements. Just 30 or 40 years ago I just wouldn't have had the option ...

Spyder Garage

Default try try try

I had a older Gentleman with one leg sit on mine. I have floor boards on my 2011 Rt. The best way was for him to back up to the seat. He then put is good leg or foot on the floor board then pushed himself up on the seat. Next step was to slide up on the passenger seat and then pull his left leg over the front and then slide back down to drivers seat. He was more than thrilled to realize he could do it. I don't know if it bought one but I do know he was excited to know he could do it.

Spyder Garage

Default Awesome to hear George

Quote Originally Posted by NautiBrit View Post
    I'm so happy to see the good results people are having with hip replacements, so I thought that I'd add my .02 cents. I had my right hip replaced last Friday, 12/2, with the robotic anterior approach and got on and off my Spyder yesterday and into and out of my truck. I wanted my s/o to know that in the event of an emergency, that I could mobilize. Walk, walk, walk. I did a mile yesterday and also do not skip or slack during physical therapy. Listen to your body, it will tell you what it can and cannot do.

Tomorrow I'm thinking of taking the Spyder for a trip around the neighborhood , body willing.
    You da man.....have an awesome Merry Christmas and Happy New Year. See you on the road in 2017..
    My Motto Is:
    Live my life in such a way that when my feet hit the floor in the morning...Satan shudders & says "Oh, crap, SHE'S awake!"

Red Stallion: 2016 F3t SE6 (from Pitbull PowerSports/ Springfield, MO)
    White Knight: 2014 RTS SE6 and matching 622 trailer (from Pitbull
    PowerSports/ Springfield, MO)
    Ms Spydee: 2010 RT SE5

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by mmiehe View Post
    I figure i'd add my two cents worth. I'm three weeks into recovery from a right hip total replacement and being bored I figured i would try to get a leg over my STS. Well I was able to get my leg up to the seat and with a small pull I was over and on. I have no pain at all sitting on it or using the brake. Getting off was exactly the same. So I figure after total recovery with all exercises riding will be no issue at all. I'll give another update in July since I am scheduled for the left hip sometime in July.
    I hope this helps and gives some insight.
    Mike
    I'm glad to hear that you're doing real well.
    Keep up the good work!!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Thanks lou49 for the info on your beautiful Spyder. At this moment my freind has put down $ on a 2014 at IMotorsports. I'll will let you know if anything changes.

Thanks to everyone for all the responses.

Thanks, Mike
    2014 RT Limited Matte Silver, Belt Guard, RT Dash Mount, Show Chrome Can-Am Spyder RT Passenger Arm Rest, Show Chrome Full Size Brake Pedal,Best shop manual, Spyder keycover with hole, Utopia drivers backrest, Showchrome trailor hitch, ShowChrome Acc Trailer Acc Rack, 2014 CA Spyder RT-RTS Master Collection-HDSv5, Airhawk Cushion, Spyderpops bumpskid, Ipod cable, Led lights, Driver Hiway pegs, Shorty Antenna, Pin Striping, ECU flash, TriAx adjustible handlebars,
    Will it ever stop--NO

Very Active Member sealfloorboards's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

As mentioned in the first reply to this post, Seal Floorboards will make mounting ANY Spyder easier. It's as solid a feeling as standing on the floor. Check out my website for a fantastic Holiday sale. I'm also disabled and that's the reason I invented the first Floorboard for the Spyder way back in 2009. Often imitated but NEVER as comfortable or good looking.
    Ride in comfort,
    John

Very Active Member sealfloorboards's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by murphybrown View Post
    like Sealfloorboards (a site sponsor). Find one that has and try....I had issues mounting my F3...never did on my RT's cause I had the above floorboards....added extra peg to F3...problem solved. And folks swear by the RIP boards for the F3....just sayin'...more info to process..
    Another satisfied Seal customer.

Spyder Garage

[QUOTE=NautiBrit;1207964]I'm so happy to see the good results people are having with hip replacements, so I thought that I'd add my .02 cents. I had my right hip replaced last Friday, 12/2, with the robotic anterior approach and got on and off my Spyder yesterday and into and out of my truck. I wanted my s/o to know that in the event of an emergency, that I could mobilize. Walk, walk, walk. I did a mile yesterday and also do not skip or slack during physical therapy. Listen to your body, it will tell you what it can and cannot do.

Tomorrow I'm thinking of taking the Spyder for a trip around the neighborhood , body willing.[/QUOTE]

And mmiehe:

I will be joining the club on Jan 4th. Going to have my right hip replaced. This will be the second attempt. Was going to have it done in May but ran into heart issues. Now that they are stable, its hip replacement time. Will let you know how it works for me, but I am encouraged by what I have read so far.
    Last edited by ARtraveler; 12-18-2016 at 03:45 PM.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by akspyderman View Post
    And mmiehe:

I will be joining the club on Jan 4th. Going to have my right hip replaced. This will be the second attempt. Was going to have it done in May but ran into heart issues. Now that they are stable, its hip replacement time. Will let you know how it works for me, but I am encouraged by what I have read so far.
    I wish you all the best. It's not easy, but certainly worth it.
    George

2017 BMW R1200R

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by wmh9680 View Post
    Good afternoon. A freind of mine who has had both hips replaced (he's rode a bike all his life and he's in his 70s now) wants a Spyder but he doesn't know if he can throw his leg over it to get on. I'm sure there are those on the list that might have the same problem (I actually have a slight problem getting my right leg up and over since I need a knee replacement and my right leg is weak) so does anyone have any ideas how to help him? Thanks, Mike
    had both hips replaced twice (six hips so far). pushing 70. just got rid of my vic x-country for the rt-s. no issues getting on / off. rehab the limbs / exercise, work thru the pain - that is the key to keep going.

Spyder Garage

Default Got my life back - thanks to hip replacement!

Count me in as one of the bionic individuals walking around. I had a right anterior hip replacement and just had my one year check up - - passed with flying colors. The best thing I did was to lose a few pounds and get myself in shape before the surgery which consisted of strengthening my arms/upper body and strengthening my quads. Simply by strengthening those specific areas made getting in and out of a chair, using a walker for a few weeks, not to mention using the toilet (!) so much easier. My surgeon did not require post operative rehab and the only restraints he gave me was 1. No Yoga (no problem!) and 2. No running unless the house was on fire or if someone was chasing me!

I can't say enough about this procedure. Simply put, it gave me my life back - so much so that at age 66 and after much thought and research, I will, God willing, by spring, be riding a F3. Never rode a motorcycle in my life, unless you count the rides my Dad gave me on his Indians and Harleys back in the 50's - but I did ride snowmobiles for over 30 years so I figure a Spyder will fit in nicely at this stage of my life. And if I get just half the pleasure, camaraderie, utter joy and feeling of freedom I got from snowmobiling, well....I can handle that!
    He's on his RT She's on her F3

And the Keys to a Happy Marriage: Separate
    Bathrooms, Individual Remote TV Clickers, and
    His and Her Spyders.

"If there are no dogs in heaven, then when I die,
    I want to go where they went." ~ ~ Will Rogers

"Never in the field of human conflict was so much owed by so many to so few."
    ~ ~ Winston Churchill in his tribute to the RAF.

"I'd like to know why well-educated idiots keep apologizing for lazy and complaining
    people who think the world owes them a living." ~ ~ John Wayne

GOS 3799

Spyder Garage

Default Ortho things

I have had both a hip and Knee replaced its what makes me able to ryde I couldn't rely on the leg before the replacement now I'm back out there. Loving it
    Loving the RYDE

Spyder Garage

I have a March 1st date scheduled for a knee replacement. I'm surprised at how many joint replacements have occurred to such a young group! Must of been our hard living youth we are now paying for.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bzbaeren View Post
    I have had both a hip and Knee replaced its what makes me able to ryde I couldn't rely on the leg before the replacement now I'm back out there. Loving it

Thanks for taking the time to respond to my post. I have been worried that my hip wouldn't allow me to ride comfortably for any distance and want to be able to go on the long rides our local club schedules. As my late father-in-law said, "You know, this gettin' older ain't for sissies." You've given me hope!

His and Her Spyders.

"I'd like to know why well-educated idiots keep apologizing for lazy and complaining

GOS 3799

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Scotts8826 View Post
    I have a March 1st date scheduled for a knee replacement. I'm surprised at how many joint replacements have occurred to such a young group! Must of been our hard living youth we are now paying for.
    My surgeon has two theories of why so many of his "replacement" hip or knee patients seem to be getting younger: One: The medical profession has almost perfected the replacement procedure and has walking-talking advertisements (us!) that sing the praises of the surgery. Instead of waiting or putting it off until later in life, we do it now. The second being that we graduated from the "No Fear School of Living" and therefore we're more daring, took more chances and generally did more reckless (or dumber!) stuff than did the previous generation and it's finally catching up with us!

Whenever we're watching a sporting event on TV and an athlete takes a hard hit, flips over the handlebars of his bike or gets bucked off a bull, my husband and I look at each other and say, "He'll feel that in 30 years!"

His and Her Spyders.

GOS 3799

Spyder Garage

I had a right hip replaced (anterior method) on Jan 4th. Got on the today. Had no issues putting my leg over the seat (no assistance) and was able to sit on the seat comfortably. I stood on the rear floorboard getting on and on the main floorboard getting off.

Can't wait for the snow to melt so I can climb aboard and ride. I am feeling that it will be good to go.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

I had a right hip replaced (anterior method) on Jan 4th. Got on the today. Had no issues putting my leg over the seat (no assistance) and was able to sit on the seat comfortably. I stood on the rear floorboard getting on and on the main floorboard getting off.

Can't wait for the snow to melt so I can climb aboard and ride. I am feeling that it will be good to go.

I'm impressed - Modern medicine is nothing short of miraculous and we're all the walking proof of it......

His and Her Spyders.

GOS 3799

Spyder Garage

Default How ya doing?

[QUOTE=NautiBrit;1207964]I'm so happy to see the good results people are having with hip replacements, so I thought that I'd add my .02 cents. I had my right hip replaced last Friday, 12/2, with the robotic anterior approach and got on and off my Spyder yesterday and into and out of my truck. I wanted my s/o to know that in the event of an emergency, that I could mobilize. Walk, walk, walk. I did a mile yesterday and also do not skip or slack during physical therapy. Listen to your body, it will tell you what it can and cannot do.

And mmiehe:

I will be joining the club on Jan 4th. Going to have my right hip replaced. This will be the second attempt. Was going to have it done in May but ran into heart issues. Now that they are stable, its hip replacement time. Will let you know how it works for me, but I am encouraged by what I have read so far. [/QUOTE]

NautiBrit - You're two months out.....how ya doing?

His and Her Spyders.

GOS 3799

Spyder Garage

Default How YOU doin'?

[QUOTE=akspyderman;1222875]I had a right hip replaced (anterior method) on Jan 4th. Got on the today. Had no issues putting my leg over the seat (no assistance) and was able to sit on the seat comfortably. I stood on the rear floorboard getting on and on the main floorboard getting off.

Can't wait for the snow to melt so I can climb aboard and ride. I am feeling that it will be good to go. [/QUOTE

Now that you're a little more than a month out - how's the hip doing? Your fellow "Bionic Ryders" want a follow-up!

His and Her Spyders.

GOS 3799