Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default both hips replaced want a spyder

Good afternoon. A freind of mine who has had both hips replaced (he's rode a bike all his life and he's in his 70s now) wants a Spyder but he doesn't know if he can throw his leg over it to get on. I'm sure there are those on the list that might have the same problem (I actually have a slight problem getting my right leg up and over since I need a knee replacement and my right leg is weak) so does anyone have any ideas how to help him? Thanks, Mike
    2014 RT Limited Matte Silver, Belt Guard, RT Dash Mount, Show Chrome Can-Am Spyder RT Passenger Arm Rest, Show Chrome Full Size Brake Pedal,Best shop manual, Spyder keycover with hole, Utopia drivers backrest, Showchrome trailor hitch, ShowChrome Acc Trailer Acc Rack, 2014 CA Spyder RT-RTS Master Collection-HDSv5, Airhawk Cushion, Spyderpops bumpskid, Ipod cable, Led lights, Driver Hiway pegs, Shorty Antenna, Pin Striping, ECU flash, TriAx adjustible handlebars,
    Will it ever stop--NO

Spyder Garage

Default After market running boards

Quote Originally Posted by wmh9680 View Post
    Good afternoon. A freind of mine who has had both hips replaced (he's rode a bike all his life and he's in his 70s now) wants a Spyder but he doesn't know if he can throw his leg over it to get on. I'm sure there are those on the list that might have the same problem (I actually have a slight problem getting my right leg up and over since I need a knee replacement and my right leg is weak) so does anyone have any ideas how to help him? Thanks, Mike
    like Sealfloorboards (a site sponsor). Find one that has and try....I had issues mounting my F3...never did on my RT's cause I had the above floorboards....added extra peg to F3...problem solved. And folks swear by the RIP boards for the F3....just sayin'...more info to process..
    My Motto Is:
    Live my life in such a way that when my feet hit the floor in the morning...Satan shudders & says "Oh, crap, SHE'S awake!"

Red Stallion: 2016 F3t SE6 (from Pitbull PowerSports/ Springfield, MO)
    White Knight: 2014 RTS SE6 and matching 622 trailer (from Pitbull
    PowerSports/ Springfield, MO)
    Ms Spydee: 2010 RT SE5

Spyder Garage

I currently have a hip that needs replacing. I am talking right hip here. Currently, I step up on the higher passenger foot rest and gently lift the lame leg over the seat. Once seated, I am able to activate the brake pedal with no issues. I have a semi auto and do not have to worry about shifting issues with the left leg.

Not exactly what you were asking for, but add it to the pile of information you will be receiving.

I am hoping to get the joint replaced in the next few months and will know more then.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Step up onto the passenger footrest (With your left foot.), and you're almost there!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Default ME 2

I HAVE A BAD RIGHT HIP, AND WHEN I MOUNT MY F3, I STEP ON THE LEFT-SIDE PASSENGER FOOT PEG, AND USING MY BODY, I THROW MY RIGHT LEG OVER AND PLANT MY BUTT DOWN... WORKS EVERY TIME....

TELL YOUR PAL TO GO TO HIS NEAREST DEALERSHIP, AND GIVE IT A TRY.... ONE HUGE PROBLEM HOWEVER, IF HE TAKES ONE OR A RIDE, HE'D BEST HAVE HIS CHECK-BOOK WITH HIM.....
    DAN P
    SPYD3R

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default MOUNTING A SPYDER

Getting on and off a Spyder is completely different that a regular Mtc...... you don't have to hold it up or balance it while doing this ........ whole different ball game ....imho ..... Mike

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SPYD3R View Post
    TELL YOUR PAL TO GO TO HIS NEAREST DEALERSHIP, AND GIVE IT A TRY.... ONE HUGE PROBLEM HOWEVER, IF HE TAKES ONE OR A RIDE, HE'D BEST HAVE HIS CHECK-BOOK WITH HIM.....
    DAN P
    SPYD3R
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Default Hip Replacement Spyder Rider

I have had both hips replaced. If they were replaced properly, there is no issue with throwing the right leg over the seat just like a motorcycle. Please note that I do have an ST Limited with floorboards ... FLOORBOARDS are what you want to consider.
    2014 ST Limited

Spyder Garage

Had a bad left hip. Left hip replacement in 2012. I don't have any problems getting on it. I have a 2016 RTS.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Spyder Garage

My wife has has both knees replaced, both hips replaced, and four lower vertebrae fused. She is still able to ride her own Spyder RT without any difficulty. So I say go and try one out and see. Everyone is different. Try it he might like it. Good luck!
    USAF MSgt, Retired
    2018 F3 Intense Red
    Squared Away Lasar alignment, TricLED Headlights, Foglights,Safety Bundle with Turn Module, BajaRon Sway Bar,Squared Away Mirror Wedges, Stebel Air Horn, Dash Turn Indicators, TricLED USA Flag
    2018 F3L , Intense Red

Spyder Garage

Default Hip

Just had left hip replaced 3 weeks ago. Went down to the garage to see what it fet like to get on and off. No problem, lot easier than before the replacement.
    2014 Spyder RTS

Tri Axis Handlebars
    Big Bike Trailer Harness
    Rivco Front Bumper (Black)
    Rivco Highway Pegs
    Ultimate Seat
    Garmin GPS
    Trailer Hitch
    Aluma XL Trailer
    Stainless Grill Covers
    Cupholder
    Spring Stiffeners
    Rivco Floorboards

Spyder Garage

I'm lucky I don't suffer from any of the afflictions you speak of but I do have issues with my back at times I find it easier to get on the Spyder than my old Goldwing when I am having back issues floor boards are a great help.

Spyder Garage

I've had both hips replaced twice and 3 lumbar fusions. I have no problem getting on an off my 2015 RTS using the floorboards. Good luck!
    Ron

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by rtotten View Post
    My wife has has both knees replaced, both hips replaced, and four lower vertebrae fused. She is still able to ride her own Spyder RT without any difficulty. So I say go and try one out and see. Everyone is different. Try it he might like it. Good luck!
    HOLY MOLY, kudos to your wife!! Talk about the Bionic Woman.

2015 Sypder RT-S SE6
    2016 Polaris Sportsman 570 ATV
    2003 F250 SuperDuty
    American Saddlebred Horses

Spyder Garage

Floorboards or use the passenger peg.

Not a hip replacement candidate but have bursitis in my right hip and require partial knee replacement (hockey puck inserts). Throwing the leg over my BMW R1150GS became so painful that I stopped riding.
    "If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to be a horrible warning." Catherine Aird

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JayD View Post
    Just had left hip replaced 3 weeks ago. Went down to the garage to see what it fet like to get on and off. No problem, lot easier than before the replacement.
    I get my hip replaced on Dec 26th. THIS is good news ! 3 weeks ? Wow !!! Anterior replacement ?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by MurrayBrown View Post
    I have had both hips replaced. If they were replaced properly, there is no issue with throwing the right leg over the seat just like a motorcycle. Please note that I do have an ST Limited with floorboards ... FLOORBOARDS are what you want to consider.
    I'm like Murray, had both replaced and can throw either leg over the seat whenever and wherever I please. I use the stock floorboards when I do, why not? If your friend is concerned about his flexibility, get him to a yoga class. The benefit will be to a whole lot of other muscles too.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

Anterior and worked hard on therapy.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk
    2014 Spyder RTS

Tri Axis Handlebars
    Big Bike Trailer Harness
    Rivco Highway Pegs
    Ultimate Seat
    Garmin GPS
    Trailer Hitch
    Aluma XL Trailer
    Stainless Grill Covers
    Cupholder
    Spring Stiffeners
    Rivco Floorboards

Spyder Garage

Default Try it out...

Where there is a will there is a way. many suggestions above will help. I have back and leg issues but find getting on the peg gets that extra hight one needs. He shojld just pop by and try it out...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Prior to surgery I forced myself to walk 4 to 5000 steps a day. They said that makes a big difference on recovery.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk
    2014 Spyder RTS

Tri Axis Handlebars
    Big Bike Trailer Harness
    Rivco Highway Pegs
    Ultimate Seat
    Garmin GPS
    Trailer Hitch
    Aluma XL Trailer
    Stainless Grill Covers
    Cupholder
    Spring Stiffeners
    Rivco Floorboards

Spyder Garage

The good thing about a spyder is that you can get on from both sides, so use your better leg to push yourself up on the spyder! Your friend should try getting on yours before he goes out spending the money! I have an rts that i might not want to haul with me when i move out of state! If interested P m me. I'm in chi-town not too far from you! Good luck to your friend and with your search!

Spyder Garage

Thanks Everyone, My wife has had 2 spinal fusions (her bottom 6 vertebrae are fused and she gets on and off okay), she just has to be careful for ever. Thanks, Mike
    2014 RT Limited Matte Silver, Belt Guard, RT Dash Mount, Show Chrome Can-Am Spyder RT Passenger Arm Rest, Show Chrome Full Size Brake Pedal,Best shop manual, Spyder keycover with hole, Utopia drivers backrest, Showchrome trailor hitch, ShowChrome Acc Trailer Acc Rack, 2014 CA Spyder RT-RTS Master Collection-HDSv5, Airhawk Cushion, Spyderpops bumpskid, Ipod cable, Led lights, Driver Hiway pegs, Shorty Antenna, Pin Striping, ECU flash, TriAx adjustible handlebars,
    Will it ever stop--NO

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default HEALTH ISSUES

Thanks Everyone, My wife has had 2 spinal fusions (her bottom 6 vertebrae are fused and she gets on and off okay), she just has to be careful for ever. Thanks, Mike
    I don't know if I'm the " Mike " you are thanking , but because of my personal issues I thought my post was meaningful ................Mike
    Last edited by BLUEKNIGHT911; 12-07-2016 at 11:35 PM.

Spyder Garage

Default Hip Help!

By all means have him go to a dealer's showroom and try to mount any of several with floor boards. But I would suggest that he sit side saddle to start then swing or pull either leg up and over the tank while leaning back rather than the conventional method of swinging his leg to the rear and up and over the saddle. The sidesaddle method may put less stress on his hips and back. Another option is a scooter such as a Piaggio trike, it is a step through design that one doesn't have to swing a leg over. Hopefully a will solve his problem as we'd like to welcome him to the family.

Spyder Garage

Default Mounting the spyder with hip problems

If he will try getting on the Spyder RTS,or the Spyder RT Limited he will find it much easier than getting on a Goldwing, Harley, or other two wheel bikes! These Trikes have large floor boards, and can be mounted from either side, and the windshield or passenger backrest is not in the way! That don't mean that his hip want hurt hime from riding, but he will have to ride it and see! The guys who own the F-3 's will have to answer for this model! Hope this is helpful!