Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Paint Sratches

Spyder Garage

Default Paint Sratches

Is it just me or is the clear coat really easy to scratch? I stopped at the mailbox the other day and placed my mail on top of the glove box and came down my quarter mile driveway. While removing my windshield I noticed two distinct scratches on the glove box lid. I have tried to wax it out. I have used two types of rubbing compound one of which helped a little. Upon further inspection I have noticed several blemishes in the bike's finish. It seem the finish is really soft or something. I did not want a black bike but that was all the dealer had available. I like the look of black but it is such a high maintenance color. Any help with regards to the scratches would be appreciated.

Spyder Garage

I had a black Jeep Grand Cherokee & HD ultra. Two Beutifull machines. But I learned to not get to freaked out when sunlight hit at certain angles. That said, I purchased a buffing polishing unit with different pads. Does more than you can do by hand. Just go easy.
    If its worse than that i live with it or there are color paints on market (pens or spray witch can be used)

I love R&R put another dime in the jukebox baby!

Spyder Garage

Btw I now ryde a pearl white Spyder which gets pretty dirty before I realize how much it needs cleaned. White is good!

I love R&R put another dime in the jukebox baby!

Spyder Garage

I don't like the black either but that was the color I could get a good deal on when in the buying mood. I can't keep it clean ... don't like high maintenance anything. [emoji32]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Love my Spyders
    2016 F3L Steel Black purchased 7/16/2016 Sold 3/11/2023 (22,500 mi)

2014 RTS Circuit Yellow purchased 3/2/2018

2020 RTL Petrol Blue purchased 1/27/2023

Girls on Spyders #3195

No more 2 wheels
    2020 RTL , Lamonster floor board riser Petrol Blue

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

If you consider the scratches as "Merit Badges"; they'd don't sting quite as much...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default PAINT SCRATCHES

Quote Originally Posted by acpd22 View Post
    Is it just me or is the clear coat really easy to scratch? I stopped at the mailbox the other day and placed my mail on top of the glove box and came down my quarter mile driveway. While removing my windshield I noticed two distinct scratches on the glove box lid. I have tried to wax it out. I have used two types of rubbing compound one of which helped a little. Upon further inspection I have noticed several blemishes in the bike's finish. It seem the finish is really soft or something. I did not want a black bike but that was all the dealer had available. I like the look of black but it is such a high maintenance color. Any help with regards to the scratches would be appreciated.
    WOW - at least there are two people on this site who recognize how EASY IT IS for the paint to get scratched ..... You have folks here who actually Believe wrapping a micro-fiber towel around their wheels will actually prevent a Nylon strap tightened with a ratchet strap will prevent the paint from damage ........ Mike

Spyder Garage

Clear coat is very soft. It scratches very easily. Your cars and trucks are the same. Usually the clear coat is quite thick and using POLISHING compound will clean up the problem. If that doesn't do it some 3000 wet and dry paper can be used (wet) followed by polishing compound. All of this is done by hand. No machines used unless you take it to a body shop.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

3M 05996 Machine Polish is what I use

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I have the 2015 pearl red, and it scratches if I simply look at it too hard. I've never used anything but water and, only sometimes, a couple drops of dish detergent to gently wash it with a special vehicle sponge. I gingerly dab it dry with soft micro cloths. I've never rubbed it down with any kind of compound. And yet, not long after purchasing it, a 6" long set of numerous, tiny, vertical, side-by-side scratches developed along the top edge of the left rear cargo box. Then the same set began showing up on the other side, along with a couple long, single scratches elsewhere on the body. The only thing that ever touches this trike is my flannel lined, very soft, half-cover. THAT'S how crazy soft this paint is!

2015 Sypder RT-S SE6
    2016 Polaris Sportsman 570 ATV
    2003 F250 SuperDuty
    American Saddlebred Horses

Spyder Garage

Default Spelling correction

Just so no one gets the wrong impression, I can spell even though I am from Tennessee. SCRATCHES instead of sratches is how I meant to start this thread. If the guys from work seen this after I stay on their butts about spelling on their reports, they would never let me live it down.

Spyder Garage

Just so no one gets the wrong impression, I can spell even though I am from Tennessee. SCRATCHES instead of sratches is how I meant to start this thread. If the guys from work seen this after I stay on their butts about spelling on their reports, they would never let me live it down.
    I wouldn't worry about it too much acpd, I was just blaming Auto-correct for stuffing something odd during the posting process!! Auto-correct, especially any of the Apple or iPad versions, really can't handle a lot of commonly used words & phrases, especially colloquial phrases, & it tries to correct them into something it 'understands' rather than anything that might make sense, often stuffing up the word & letter spacing too, so you end up with things like s-ratches or worse - and btw, it really doesn't 'understand' very much at all, probably because who-ever set it up learnt 'English' in all its complexity & idiosyncrasies as a second language & hadn't really been exposed to a heap of common usage at that!! (case in point, it just took 6 goes to get it away from correcting the latter word there to '&idiot-something' to idiosyncrasies! - sorry, I used it again, so double that!! ) Add to that the increasing annoyance you get from auto-correct turning itself back on!! Even tho I turn it off at every opportunity, it seems to re-set at all sorts of odd occasions or whenever I re-charge the battery or turn the iPad off!! So Auto-correct is once again currently on here despite it being turned off earlier today!

Besides, most people reading English don't actually read what's written; rather they skim over the text & sub-consciously guess at what the written/typed word actually says - and often enough, if the first & lsat letters are in place with vaguely the correct letters in-bteween they'll 'read' the intended word anyway!! See last above - many just assumed that at first glance, even if you didn't! And then there's 'between' too! So Sratches would probably have been fine for most readers, at least at their first glance anyway!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Well, you did just misspell saw!
    P.S. I never even noticed the "sratches" so Peter Aawen is right.
    NEW - 2015 RT Limited SE6 Intense Red Pearl - 07/21/15
    Retained the old mirrors with TricLed Signals
    General Altimax RT43 rear tire (at...17,000 miles) Ran for 36,500 miles
    Michelin Defender.......rear tire (at...53,500 miles) Ran for 60,700 miles
    Riken Raptor HR.........rear tire (at 114,200 miles)
    Vredestein Quatrac 5 front tires (at 70,500 miles, first new fronts!)
    Gear Brake Decelerometer Module

OLD - 2012 RT Limited SE5 Pearl White - 01/31/13 - Traded in at 32,600 miles.
    BajaRon Anti-sway Bar
    Kumho ECSTA AST rear tire (at 14,200 miles)
    TricLed Turn Signals in Mirrors
    2015 Limited , Intense Red Pearl

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ruralgirl View Post
    I have the 2015 pearl red, and it scratches if I simply look at it too hard... ...THAT'S how crazy soft this paint is!
    It only takes a sharp glance...

Spyder Garage

I have the 2015 pearl red, and it scratches if I simply look at it too hard. I've never used anything but water and, only sometimes, a couple drops of dish detergent to gently wash it with a special vehicle sponge. I gingerly dab it dry with soft micro cloths. I've never rubbed it down with any kind of compound. And yet, not long after purchasing it, a 6" long set of numerous, tiny, vertical, side-by-side scratches developed along the top edge of the left rear cargo box. Then the same set began showing up on the other side, along with a couple long, single scratches elsewhere on the body. The only thing that ever touches this trike is my flannel lined, very soft, half-cover. THAT'S how crazy soft this paint is!
    A couple of issues with what you are doing.

1. Washing without soap will promote scratches as the soap cushion is missing.
    2. Never use detergent on painted surfaces. It removes the natural oils from the paint and damages it. Always use soap. Preferably a soap that is designed for use on clear coat paints.

On colors like red or black, blow drying is probably less damaging than wiping. However, your source of blow drying air must be very clean.

Spyder Garage

Default PPF

When i bought my spyder earlier this year. I literally drove it from the dealership to Protex and had "Paint protection film" put over most of the bike. It's a bit costly, but well worth the investment in my opinion.

2017 RT-S

Bump Skid - Spyderpops
    Wrap - Wrapmyspyder
    swaybar - Bajaron
    Sena 20D & SM10
    3 PC Mesh Zippered Lid Net Set - TricLED
    A arm LED's - Safety LED's - TricLED
    Mirror Sequential turn signals
    Glo-riders
    LED rear turn signals and reverse lights
    Front Grills
    Third Brake light
    Larson Scanner
    Light Up - Sue Hopper

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default MAYBE - WHY THE SPYDER PAINT SCRATCHES

#1. The paint BRP uses is WATER based.......#2. Because the panels are NOT metal they can't be BAKED ( ie heated ).......... jmho ...... Mike

Spyder Garage

My 2015 F3 had scratches on every panel when I picked it up New from the dealer. They're replacing all the panels at no cost. Actually I'm getting them and replacing them. After 2,700 miles on the original scratched panels I can see they scratch really easily. Will be costing the new panels with either 3M paint protector sheets or spray of some kind.
    Mine is black. My blue RT didn't scratch this easily!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Spyder #1 - 2008 GS SM5 Premier Edition #1977. RIP after 80,000 miles.
    Spyder #2 - 2012 RT SM5. Traded in after 24,000 miles.
    Spyder #3 - 2015 F3 SM6. Put 13,000 miles on and sold it.
    Spyder #4 - 2017 F3 SM6. Too good of a deal to pass up!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by rcturner View Post
    A couple of issues with what you are doing.

1. Washing without soap will promote scratches as the soap cushion is missing.
    2. Never use detergent on painted surfaces. It removes the natural oils from the paint and damages it. Always use soap. Preferably a soap that is designed for use on clear coat paints.

On colors like red or black, blow drying is probably less damaging than wiping. However, your source of blow drying air must be very clean.
    So far, I haven't noticed the patina type scratches that washing without sufficient (or any) soap would cause. These are serious penetrations of the top layer from mystery contacts. And, FWIW, I use "natural" liquid dish soaps like Seventh Generation (I know - still bad). It's just interesting that my exoskeletal Spyder isn't expected to endure a couple drops of the same soap that hasn't abraded my endoskeletal hands in 6 decades of multiple daily plunges into much higher concentrations.

As far as blow drying, we have so many minerals in our well water, my Spyder would be a leopard appaloosa if I didn't wipe off the spots. Plus, I wouldn't have the patience! After 49 years of laboriously drying my knee-length hair, I recently cut it to a wash 'n walkaway length, and I never want to see a blow dryer again!

2015 Sypder RT-S SE6
    2016 Polaris Sportsman 570 ATV
    2003 F250 SuperDuty
    American Saddlebred Horses

SpyderLovers Sponsor Spyder Wraps Pete's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Paint Protection Film

If it really bothers you we do offer paint protection film.

https://www.facebook.com/PowerSports...type=3&theater
    Email: pete@wrapmyspyder.com
    Toll Free: 814-450-1923

See our latest Spyder projects here.

If you have a project idea for your Spyder please contact us and we will do our best to help.

Visit our Website here:www.wrapmyspyder.com

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

All I have to say is scuffs & light scratches have never sunk a sale for me when it was time to get rid of my bike. Not being concerned about them makes for happier ownership.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

...my Spyder would be a leopard appaloosa if I didn't wipe off the spots.
    b8875cc2eb5bdee966beda4e90d1828d.jpg

Spyder Garage

Gentlemen, I have a 2021 Spyder F3 Base with all gloss black plastic and paint and when I got it home and could really look at it I was amazed at the amount of scratches in the finish...looked like someone had sand on a their rag.....I am not new to black vehicles and have had similar problems and I remember these two products from Turtle wax. Turtle Wax T-11 Black Spray Wax - 16 oz and Turtle Wax T-319 Black Spray Detailer - 23 oz.. After about three coats of the spray wax the swirls and light scratches are aout 90 percent better. Never going to be prefect. The detailer is great after you get back from a ride to get ride of bugs...both have a light acrylic black paint in them and fill the light scratches. Very easy to use spray on and wipe off and buff with dry microfiber cloth....was about 30 dollars for both on Amazon. Hope this helps save somebody's sanity...I am pretty fussy and was getting really pis*ed every time I looked at the bike in light. This has helped a bunch.

Spyder Garage

Get a DA kit from Maguire’s that attaches to your drill. Then by their compound and polish. Works great on black services

Spyder Garage

i use a few drop of dish soap in a spray bottle,, spray spyder, the rinse with hose, then use a leaf blower, yes a leaf blower, to blow it dry, this way no water spots, works great,,
    2020 F3 limited, liquid titanium
    grip puppies
    Bajaron sway bar
    lamonster belt dampener
    battery tender
    19 in freedom tinted windshield
    matte black daytona frunk wrap
    Quadtrac 165/60's