PDA

View Full Version : FIRST SNELL & DOT RATED FLIP UP HELMET

Motza
06-23-2009, 11:14 PM
Check it out!!!

www.webbikeworld.com/r2/zeus-helmet/zeus-3000/ (http://www.webbikeworld.com/r2/zeus-helmet/zeus-3000/) :2thumbs:

Your favorite helmet head

Tom in NM
06-24-2009, 01:12 AM
. . . . I would probably be wearing an old football helmet.

Thanks!

Tom

Motza
06-24-2009, 07:45 AM
. . . . I would probably be wearing an old football helmet.

Thanks!

Tom
Your Welcome...ride safe

Motza
06-24-2009, 07:47 AM
A friend is in Italy right now and I asked him the score me a Reevu helmet, I hope he finds one.

Bersquack
06-24-2009, 08:06 AM
The is a few in that photo set that I wold consider buying!!

SSG Bean
06-24-2009, 08:14 AM
I've read several articles that indicate snell ratings are more hype than anything. In order to achieve this rating they are put through unrealistic test that force the helmet to be much harder than necessary. Unfortunately if the helmet is too rigid, it transfers most of the impact energy to your head rather than being absorbed and protecting your head. I'd look for a good helmet that is both DOT and ECE rated. Those seem to do a better job based on the test data I've seen. I'd rather destroy my helmet than my head.

If you're a marketing guy, you have to love the impact that a snell sticker has on your mark-up. I think too many people are sold on the supposed benefit.

NancysToy
06-24-2009, 08:24 AM
I've read several articles that indicate snell ratings are more hype than anything. In order to achieve this rating they are put through unrealistic test that force the helmet to be much harder than necessary. Unfortunately if the helmet is too rigid, it transfers most of the impact energy to your head rather than being absorbed and protecting your head. I'd look for a good helmet that is both DOT and ECE rated. Those seem to do a better job based on the test data I've seen. I'd rather destroy my helmet than my head.

If you're a marketing guy, you have to love the impact that a snell sticker has on your mark-up. I think too many people are sold on the supposed benefit.
Depends on what you need in a helmet. The Snell standard has some good points, especially for racers. Banging your head against a a rollcage numerous times while flipping a race car endlessly needs a tough shell. Same can go for bouncing along a curb or guardrail. I was sold on the ECE standard myself after first reading the Motorcyclist article, but the Snell rebuttal made some very good points. In the end, what protects you best depends to some extent on how you hit. Each standard has its strong points, from that aspect. Most important thing is correct helmet fit! Most people wear too large a helmet, which renders all test data meaningless anyway. Think of it this way...skydiving never killed anyone, it's the sudden, violent collision with the ground that does it every time. You do not want to have a collision inside your helmet! Your brain sloshes around enough on its own. Don't buy a helmet for comfort, buy it for fit...and greatest protection.
-Scotty http://www.pmdawnonline.com/forum/images/smilies/velo.gif

Director
06-24-2009, 08:41 AM
Depends on what you need in a helmet. The Snell standard has some good points, especially for racers. Banging your head against a a rollcage numerous times while flipping a race car endlessly needs a tough shell. Same can go for bouncing along a curb or guardrail. I was sold on the ECE standard myself after first reading the Motorcyclist article, but the Snell rebuttal made some very good points. In the end, what protects you best depends to some extent on how you hit. Each standard has its strong points, from that aspect. Most important thing is correct helmet fit! Most people wear too large a helmet, which renders all test data meaningless anyway. Think of it this way...skydiving never killed anyone, it's the sudden, violent collision with the ground that does it every time. You do not want to have a collision inside your helmet! Your brain sloshes around enough on its own. Don't buy a helmet for comfort, buy it for fit...and greatest protection.

Good points Scotty. When Dr. Harry Hurt (author of the famous study "Motorcycle Accident Cause Factors and Identification of Countermeasures") was asked what is the best helmet for a motorcycle operator to wear, he replied, "Tell me what kind of accident you are going to have."
Cheers,
Bruce

Motza
06-24-2009, 07:31 PM
Amen Scotty :agree:

tweeder
06-24-2009, 11:12 PM
How much?

Star Cruiser
06-25-2009, 12:00 AM
the ZS-210C Looks like an awesome "addition" to the Yellow/Black Spyder. They call it the "Bumblebee"

vtrider
06-25-2009, 01:59 AM
I like the looks of this helmet. I want to get a flip up helmet. Between the Scorpion EXO 900 and this Zeus 3000, it looks like I have some good choices to pick from. It there a price somewhere for the Zeus 3000?

Director
06-25-2009, 07:21 AM
I like the looks of this helmet. I want to get a flip up helmet. Between the Scorpion EXO 900 and this Zeus 3000, it looks like I have some good choices to pick from. It there a price somewhere for the Zeus 3000?

It looks like it is not on the market just yet, so no price has been fixed. Looks like a very interesting lid though, and it comes in red. Hmmm...:coffee:

Motza
06-25-2009, 08:07 AM
It looks like it is not on the market just yet, so no price has been fixed. Looks like a very interesting lid though, and it comes in red. Hmmm...:coffee:
SO MANY LIDS NOT ENOUGH HEADS :gaah: